Linked Events

• FNRTTC-Whitstable: 04 September, 2009

Author Topic: FNRTTC-Whitstable 4th September  (Read 9059 times)

Re: FNRTTC-Whitstable 4th September
« Reply #25 on: 03 September, 2009, 10:30:22 pm »
Sorry, I am going to have to cry off this one.  :( I already have a sleep debt this week and I have meetings in Hatfield for work tomorrow which mean it will be a 12 hour working day. I don't fancy getting home at 7pm to be out again by 10:15.

Matthew

That's a shame :(

Until the next one....

J

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #26 on: 04 September, 2009, 07:03:38 am »
Enjoy the ride, folks.

I'll have to sit this one out as my back is still borked. :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #27 on: 04 September, 2009, 07:20:06 am »

Ahh darling girl will miss you! Especially as its my virgin FRNTTC!

Now I'm even more annoyed about missing it- would love to have ridden this one with you h_w.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #28 on: 04 September, 2009, 06:07:22 pm »
Have fun folks. See you all on the next one :D

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #29 on: 04 September, 2009, 07:34:49 pm »
Are you still on for a bit of tandem madness?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #30 on: 04 September, 2009, 07:38:15 pm »
I suppose I'd better give my bike the once-over.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #31 on: 04 September, 2009, 10:23:59 pm »
Are you still on for a bit of tandem madness?

Well Tim as you have guessed its not that I didn't turn up. I wasn't allowed on the run as my one and only run caused concern to my riding style.  So as offered the one to southend as a see if I can ride wih others.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #32 on: 05 September, 2009, 12:01:09 pm »
Got back around 30 minutes ago. What  a brilliantly led ride by Simon and the range of wayfinders and TEC's was just bloody professional  :thumbsup: Many thanks to everyone for a great ride, and apologies to everyone on the train for a) mumbling my words b) head falling down towards chest. Time to try and reset that body clock!

« Reply #33 on: 05 September, 2009, 12:05:27 pm »
Another excellent Friday Night Ride, and for a second month running the cat has done us proud with an almost clear sky and moon visible most of the night.

The wind behind us positively pushed us to Whitstable, and it seems unfair that after arriving at the Cafe feeling so fresh, the ride from Brompton South to Croydon left me feeling utterly knackered.  It could be something to do with the fact that I was cycling against that same headwind for almost all of those 7 miles. :(

A great ride, where I managed to avoid being directed astray onto a diversion, unlike June, and as always the company was also exemplary.  Thanks to all the waymarkers and TECs, I was only callled upon to do minimal work this month, so spent a lot more near the front than normal. :thumbsup:

A GPS track to follow, although it will probably be very close (if not identical) to previous routes.  This month I'll also produce some sort of video, showing mostly the backs of people as seen by the bullet-cam on my handlebars.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #34 on: 05 September, 2009, 01:22:07 pm »

As for the chocolate stakes I have a 0.5kg x 2 Hotel Chocolat slabs of gorgeousness which I think will pass around all 70  :D

And very nice it was too. Especially as, try as I might, it only broke into big pieces.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 05 September, 2009, 01:35:28 pm »
I arrived home about 1 pm and have since had lunch.

As has been mentioned above, a superb ride from which I almost bailed at Dartford. I wasn't feeling great and had that nasty sensation in the back of the throat which indicates that a cold is starting. However, I'm bloody glad I didn't as the weather was excellent, the dawn was unblemished by clouds, Venus shone down on us before sunrise, the moon was as full as full can be and, since it's now September, was much higher in the sky than it was in the summer. I even managed 40 winks whilst waiting for some poor unfortunate whose mechanical had temporarily wrested from me the lanterne rouge.

I returned via Stone Crossing station, which involves 3 trains from Whitstable and dumps you right in the middle of nowhere with no clue as to how to get out of the station. You have to cross the track at ground level. Then, you find your way down a private road which diminishes into a rough bramble-and-nettle-infested footpath before joining one of the approach roads to the Dartford Tunnel. Quite surreal.

I still feel perfectly well so not only are these rides a balm for the soul, I think Simon has stumbled upon a cure for the common cold.

HPC to Whitstable was 69.5 miles according to the Garmin. My total riding was 80.87 according to the Cateye.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pippa

• Busy being fabulous
« Reply #36 on: 05 September, 2009, 05:05:40 pm »
Sounds like you all had a great ride and I'm sorry I missed it :(

Tim Hall - dammit you remembered about my tandem talk in Clacton!!! I shall think it over. I'll PM you once I return from Germany :D

« Reply #37 on: 05 September, 2009, 05:17:56 pm »
Even when you are not feeling in top form, these rides bring out top form in you.  Although Whitstable is my favourite FNRttC (I believe the Bognor ride could have changed this?) my enthusiasm was somewhat lacking this time, I don't know why.  That annoying pinch puncture also got me very cross with myself and the world.  But once we bunched up again and came into late dawn over the marshes, the FNRttC magic was happening again.

Thanks to the TECs who helped me out and apologies to Simon for taking up all the TECs.  

Some pictures are here: Clicky

« Reply #38 on: 05 September, 2009, 06:23:02 pm »
Sounds like you all had a great ride and I'm sorry I missed it :(

I am not alone in also being sorry you missed it......
There were others of similar minds....

A ride in the most fine of conditions.
The fullest of moons.
The clearest of skies - I really have never seen Grain and Thamesport looked as sparkly clear across The Medway as they did last night.
Temperature - chilly at times - but not damp, or requiring the use of fingered gloves. Just.
Riding the back of the peloton for the bulk of the night has it's benefits.
None the least of which is turning the wick right down for the last 8 miles or so (maybe more) and just enjoying the utterly enchanting scenery glide by as a new day breaks....
Memories of riding those last few miles in good company that will stay with me for some time.
Mechanicals were (I think) confined to one (ok - maybe two) puncture(s) and a busted chain from TanyaG - but I think the latter may be a direct correlation to the chain simply giving up in protest as TG wellied it out of a corner..... there are witness reports....
Hats off to Faye and her crew at Whitstable Waterfront for churning out bespoke breakfasts at a rate which couldn't fail to please. And always with a smile.
Alan, Kats & myself slunk off at around 10:30 for Herne Bay, a further few miles along the sea front path, to pay  a visit to a friend.
Our return to the Waterfront three hours later was greeted with whoops, cheers and hollers....
.... From the hardened cycling massive which had taken root on the verandah of the Waterfront Club  :thumbsup: and appeared to be *refreshing* themselves.
We made for a London-bound train at that point.

Thanks to all who attended.
I hope your night ride was as fine as mine.

J

EDIT - Oh, and final mileage (for me) was around the 94 mark.

cpjmathieson

« Reply #39 on: 05 September, 2009, 06:46:08 pm »
My first FNRttC..... was very impressed with how well it was organized and a big thank you to Simon, the way markers and tail-end charlies for all their hard work.
The bacon buttie at Rochester was very welcome after a few miles.  A great ride with a great bunch of people.Lovely to see the sunrise over the fields of Kent. Home now knackered after 32 hours no sleep and 87 miles including traveling to and from.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31795552@N08/sets/72157622130456287/

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #40 on: 05 September, 2009, 06:52:03 pm »
It was lovely to meet you Chris - 87 miles, wow! Thanks for the photos!

cpjmathieson

« Reply #41 on: 05 September, 2009, 07:06:00 pm »
It was lovely to meet you Chris - 87 miles, wow! Thanks for the photos!

Likewise nice to meet you in person . hope to see you again soon. ;D

« Reply #42 on: 05 September, 2009, 07:11:39 pm »
Good to see you again Chris.M - I guess we may be seeing you on these on a more regular basis....

cpjmathieson

« Reply #43 on: 05 September, 2009, 07:16:50 pm »
Good to see you again Chris.M - I guess we may be seeing you on these on a more regular basis....
Let me recover from this one first lol..... good to see you again Jurek

« Reply #44 on: 05 September, 2009, 08:23:28 pm »

Our return to the Waterfront three hours later was greeted with whoops, cheers and hollers....
.... From the hardened cycling massive which had taken root on the verandah of the Waterfront Club  :thumbsup: and appeared to be *refreshing* themselves.

Chapeau to the drinking team, I wish I had been free to join you.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #45 on: 05 September, 2009, 10:51:48 pm »
I made it back home a couple of hours ago, with yet more train-related chaos which I'm far too tired to go into the details of as I still haven't had any sleep.

Excellent ride, suspiciously flat.

135km in total.

Yeah.   :thumbsup:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #46 on: 06 September, 2009, 11:39:25 pm »
Brief notes from me:

TanyaG bust her spangly new fangled 10 speed chain.  We beat it into submission with a chain tool or two and only minor bloodshed.

Simon's otherwise excellent preflight talk failed to tell us what to shout in the case of a dead fox lying in the road. "Fox" seemed to work.

Similarly it contained no detail for a black bra.

The applause and encouragement from the Plumstead Massive was welcome.  The eggs from the Gravesend Fiesta Fanbois were not. 'Teef nearly gave chase.

My chum Scott was a rabbit with a negative euphoria quotient (1) as his chain kept slipping, and was almost ready to call it a day. I encouraged him with tales of bacon butties waiting at Rochester. He made it. His LBS later diagnosed a stiff link.

The snooze while we waited for a puncture to be fixed was most welcome. I was almost falling asleep as I rode and hallucinating. Must get more zeds before the event next time.

Found a windfall pear at Tonge. which was nice.

Hoovered down an FEB at the Waterfront then sped for the staiton with Scott. Met Els on the platform who informed us that Shepherd and Neam was available for sale on the train. So we bought some.

A few pics here

(1) Not a happy bunny
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #47 on: 07 September, 2009, 08:45:23 am »
Hoovered down an FEB at the Waterfront then sped for the staiton with Scott. Met Els on the platform who informed us that Shepherd and Neam was available for sale on the train. So we bought some.

A few pics here
It was nice sharing some Spitfire on the train, Tim.  I think we both perfected sleeping while standing up.  At first my knees would give way, but after repositioning and locking out - as good as sleeping on a wooden floor.

Cycled to Paddington and was home at noon for a pint of Landlord in the local.

Like your pictures.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #48 on: 07 September, 2009, 11:36:37 am »
(Duplicate post from the other place)
Morning all.

Another marvellous ride, courtesy of Mr Legg, the TECs, the excellent company, the dead fox, the discarded underwear, the 'lively' vehicular support, and absolutely perfect weather.

Broke entirely new territory by taking a train back. Don't see the attraction myself. You don't even get to pedal.

Photos from headcam are working their way towards youtube here: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWEqs9-cxHU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/UWEqs9-cxHU&rel=1</a>. Its not as steady as bikecam, but does afford an excellent opportunity to build neck muscles. Boy, that thing creates a lot of drag.

Personal favourite is this one of first timer Katie. Great to have you along.
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #49 on: 07 September, 2009, 01:34:45 pm »
That has made my day Mr Allsopp - many thanks :-*