Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1710771 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« on: 12 August, 2009, 08:08:22 am »
Every fortnight I shall be joining the Portsmouth members of this parish for their regular Wednesday evening ride.  Thanks to the successful culmination of some expensive negotiations I have secured all the necessary paperwork from The Current Mrs R to ride out on the Wednesday evenings that I am in Mid-Essex.  So, following the lead of the Portsmouth brigade why don’t we establish a series of Mid-Essex Midweek Nocturnal rides?

My plan is to start in September when I’m back from hols although obviously others can start the series off in my absence.  The 9th September would be the first date I’d be available.  I quite fancy riding through the autumn and winter regardless of the weather.  We have some big cycling plans for 2010 so I would like to exit the winter fitter than I’ve ever been and battle hardened.  Obviously I can only do the Mid-Essex ride every fortnight but hopefully there will be sufficient interest to run the rides every week.

I have no intention of monopolising this idea but my initial thoughts on the matter were to set off at about 6:30pm and follow a different route each week of between 30 and 40 miles.  In keeping with tradition a pub stop would be built in so perhaps the choice of pub determines the route.  Maybe we can draw up a rota so everyone has the opportunity to choose a pub, decide a route and lead the ride.  I live in Witham but there is no reason why the ride should start from here each week.  Personally, I have no objection to a short car or train journey to the start.  We could even have two or more rides meeting at the same pub, e.g. a Southend ride and Witham ride could meet at a pub half way.  My thoughts were that the emphasis was on cycling not drinking! We still have the Essex Friday Night Ride to the Pub series where the emphasis is decidedly the other way round!

I have been compiling a list of pubs and also have the local CAMRA guide.  Here are the pubs I would particularly like to include but the whole idea is to tap into other people's ideas …

Railway Tavern – Southminister
The Norton – Cold Norton
Square & Compasses – Fuller Street
Compasses - Littley Green and Pattiswick
The Fleece - Boxford
Hurdlemakers – Woodham Mortimer
The Viper – Mill Green
Strangers Home Inn – Bradfield, Manningtree
The Swan – Bures
The Five Bells – Colne Engaine

So what do we think?

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2009, 08:38:18 am »
Sounds brill!

I'm a teetotaller so I can make sure than none of you fall into a ditch and get forgotten, if that helps!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2009, 08:42:56 am »
A most excellent idea.  Count me in.  :thumbsup:

Off the top of my head,  I'd add the following pub suggestions too, most of which I've visited, some of which I've only cycled past but been intrigued by...

White Hart - Margaretting Tye
Swan - Little Totham  (may need to start somewhere other than Witham or devise a convoluted route since it's only 4.77 miles from here)
Leather Bottle - Blackmore (there's also one in Pleshey, not sure what that's like)
Blue Boar - Maldon
Whalebone - Fingringhoe (never been in, but it looked noce on the summer day I cycled past)

Cheers,
Mark
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3 on: 12 August, 2009, 08:43:32 am »
Sounds brill!

I'm a teetotaller so I can make sure than none of you fall into a ditch and get forgotten, if that helps!

It would be good to meet you, you'll be most welcome.

Like I said, I for one will be concentrating on cycling not drinking which might come as a surprise to some that hang out here  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4 on: 12 August, 2009, 08:44:43 am »
Mr O, why don't you kick the series off whilst I am away on hols???

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #5 on: 12 August, 2009, 08:50:21 am »
I'll try to come but Wednesdays clash with rugby coaching, the Leather Bottle at Pleshsey is an unspoilt village pub that does proper beer.

« Reply #6 on: 12 August, 2009, 08:57:44 am »
Obviously I'm up for it. But seriously - 30 to 40 miles of a Wednesday? In winter? When it's freezing and pissing it down? And a pub stop?!!!!

No chance!!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #7 on: 12 August, 2009, 09:05:08 am »
Obviously I'm up for it. But seriously - 30 to 40 miles of a Wednesday? In winter? When it's freezing and pissing it down? And a pub stop?!!!!

No chance!!  :P

:thumbsup:

The Portsmouth bunch manage 30+ miles, done it myself with them.  It can mean getting home at midnight but who dares wins etc.  We can always flex the plan to take into account weather forecasts etc.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8 on: 12 August, 2009, 09:13:09 am »
I'm interested, but it all depends on the trains.  :-\
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

cpjmathieson

« Reply #9 on: 12 August, 2009, 09:28:00 am »
I'd be interested but depends on my work shifts when I can attend  :(

Can't do the 9th Sept though Im on a operation sorry

Oscar's dad

« Reply #10 on: 12 August, 2009, 09:43:12 am »
I'd be interested but depends on my work shifts when I can attend  :(

Can't do the 9th Sept though Im on a operation sorry

:o A secret one behind enemy lines?

« Reply #11 on: 12 August, 2009, 10:07:10 am »
Railway Tavern – Southminister...

...So what do we think?

I think Pip will be pleased that your first suggestion is a pub she recommended! I'll have to get back to the Square & Compasses to let her know. ;)

Wednesday is Turbo training night at the Chelmer and I'm planing on making use of this facility over the winter. However, it could get pretty tedious - and a ride out to a pub with you lot could be just the relief I require!

« Reply #12 on: 12 August, 2009, 10:33:43 am »
Turbo training is for pussies!! Do you think Edouard Louis Joseph Baron Merckx bothered with that shit?!

No. drink beer and ride. Eat some raw red meat while you're at it.....

« Reply #13 on: 12 August, 2009, 10:35:19 am »
Thanks for the tip. Can you be my coach?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #14 on: 12 August, 2009, 10:35:35 am »
... I for one will be concentrating on cycling not drinking which might come as a surprise to some that hang out here  ;D

So just the 5 pints then?  ;D :P

« Reply #15 on: 12 August, 2009, 10:39:24 am »
Thanks for the tip. Can you be my coach?

Sure. I'll be rubbish though ;)

« Reply #16 on: 12 August, 2009, 11:12:47 am »
Sounds brill!

I thought it was the navigating that Oscar's Dad had the most problems with...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #17 on: 12 August, 2009, 11:35:03 am »
... I for one will be concentrating on cycling not drinking which might come as a surprise to some that hang out here  ;D

So just the 5 pints then?  ;D :P

What every Wednesday?  Can you imagine the mess?   ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #18 on: 12 August, 2009, 11:38:43 am »
Sounds brill!

I thought it was the navigating that Oscar's Dad had the most problems with...

In fairness to myself I never cycled into a ditch - yet!

Viv

• Are we having fun yet?
    • Lythgo
« Reply #19 on: 12 August, 2009, 12:54:25 pm »
Sounds like a nice idea. I'm a CAMRA member too but can't cope with too much mid-week beer these days. I'm in West Bergholt and can drive a short way to the start but 6.30 will sometimes be a push. Driving also equals not very much beer. 40 miles sounds like 2.5 to 3 hours to me.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #20 on: 12 August, 2009, 06:23:07 pm »
Hi Viv, you're near-ish me (Ardleigh/Great Bromley). You may occasionally see my triking around Colchester. Give me a wave if you do!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Viv

• Are we having fun yet?
    • Lythgo
« Reply #21 on: 12 August, 2009, 11:13:31 pm »
Cool Helen. I'll prctice my wave.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22 on: 20 August, 2009, 09:10:07 pm »
This, in principle, looks like a Very good Idea.

From my point of view, Weds is difficult because work until 7.30. I suppose that need not stop me getting a train to the nearest station and then cycling back.

And what's this about someone describing 40 miles as 2.5-3 hours' cycling? There's be no change from 4 hours if I'm involved!
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #23 on: 24 August, 2009, 07:20:38 pm »
Mr O, why don't you kick the series off whilst I am away on hols???

OK ... Here goes.  In the spirit of OD's above formula (i.e. more riding than drinking).

This Wednesday 26th, will be the inaugural (but OD-free) episode of the M-EMWNS.

Setting off from Witham Station around 6:30pm, and following this route (clicky) to the White Hart at Margaretting Tye (the route comes in at a spit over 17 miles).

Return route could either retrace, or take this slightly longer route (also clicky)

Bikely seems to be a bit flaky at the moment, so the above may take a few goes to load up.

Anyone pressed for time, or running out of legs could, instead, make for Chelmsford station (or even Shenfield) on the homeward route.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #24 on: 24 August, 2009, 07:26:14 pm »
Hmm... Margaretting Tye ... Wednesday...

It's a good pub, or at least, years ago, when I last went in there, it was. I believe the locals call Margaretting Tye "Tiger's Island" for some unknown reason. It's certainly a lovely downhill run from Stock. I suppose that must be a round trip from Southend of about 50 miles.
The loss of humanity I could live with.