Author Topic: Seattle/Portland recommendations.  (Read 1340 times)

Seattle/Portland recommendations.
« on: 22 September, 2009, 10:29:53 am »
We're off to the (former) colonies on Friday, spending 3 nights in Seattle, 3 nights in Hood River and 1 night in Portland.
The Hood River time is accounted for- hiring bikes from here:- Discover Bicycles | Rentals, Sales and Service in Hood River, Oregon (choosing between "high end" carbon or titanium !).
While we've read the guide books for Seattle/Portland and have some ideas, is there anything that we should do that might not appear in the usual sources ?

TIA  :thumbsup:

Re: Seattle/Portland recommendations.
« Reply #1 on: 22 September, 2009, 10:34:01 am »
I used to live in Seattle, so what sort of thing are you looking for?  Which days will you be there? Riding or not?  Bear in mind that my views will have been jaundiced as a resident rather than visitor.

« Reply #2 on: 22 September, 2009, 10:39:28 am »
We'll be in Seattle Friday-Sunday nights (and probably wide awake from 04.00-18.00 local time and semi-comatose 18.00-22.00).

The plan in the cities is to wander around, do cool stuff, visit nice bars, eat well, that sort of thing.
We're leaving the active bits 'til we get to Hood River (though if you recommend hiring bikes in Seattle, then we'll give it a go  ;D).

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2009, 10:47:13 am »
Chazza & Jazza* were in the region not so very long ago.

I have some advice from a friend who lives in Seattle I could dig out. :)

* We all die some time, I suppose. ;D

EDIT: AIUI you need to have a bike for Portland or you'll kick yourself.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2009, 10:53:59 am »

EDIT: AIUI you need to have a bike for Portland or you'll kick yourself.

We won't have time to do much in Portland- we're going to get there Friday pm and we'll be getting a train to Seattle (and then the airport) on Saturday am. Shame  :'(

Chazza & Jazza* were in the region not so very long ago
* We all die some time, I suppose.

Been nice knowing you  ;D

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 22 September, 2009, 11:01:48 am »
Ah that is a shame.  Everything I've read about Portland (including a major feature in Bicycling) indicates it's Bikecentral, USA.  Wanna go.

And, er, yes.  Now you have quoted my massive lapse in judgment, I am unable to retrospectively edit, and my fate is sealed.  Adieu! ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 22 September, 2009, 11:04:04 am »
Local big club is Cascade Bicycle Club. Cascade Bicycle Club: Page Not Found | 404 Error (link does not work, so from Cascade Bicycle Club:  Seattle, Washington; STP, Seattle to Portland Bike Ride, Bike To Work, Bike Expo, Ride Around Washington, RAW, bicycle advocacy, bicycle education pick Events and Rides, then Daily Rides, then Calendar).  Looking at that weekend, as  avisitor I might be tempted by the Ballard ride on Sunday - just for the education and being shown around a specific neighborhood.  Beware that the standard of riding can get poor on the slow rides.  Bike hire from Greggs of Greenlake Greggs Cycles: Page Not Found

Pike Place Market (see your guide book) is entertaining for a visit, some nice restaurants around there.  I remember a mexican one with a balcony overlooking the market.

A non fancy place is Ivars Fish Bar Ivar's Seafood - Seattle's Best Seafood and Chowder go to the lakeside one in Wallingford Ivar's Seafood - Seattle's Best Seafood and Chowder the clam chowder is a must and you can get Salmon sampler plates with 3 different types of salmon - an education for those brought up on John West.  Use the restaurant not the Ivars outlet outside or those in the shopping malls.

Oddly convenient  ::-) this is very close to Recycled Cycles Recycled Cycles | Seattle's Used Bike Shop | which is very busy at weekends.  This is not  a flashy place.  They sell new practical bikes and second hand bikes and lots of secondhand bits.

Pioneer Square - the old original heart of Seattle might be worth a visit Pioneer Square Seattle

On a short visit with only a few spare hours (before I lived there) I took a bus tour Seattle sightseeing and Pacific Northwest vacation options which was ok for showing neighborhoods and viewpoints you would not necessarily find as a tourist.

Touristy bits you will have covered in the guide book.  Like most places I've lived I seldom went downtown and of course my views have been jaundiced by living there.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2009, 11:18:42 am »
In Seattle, we did a Duck Tour which was oddly, very Americanly fun.  Also, extremely informative and gave us an idea of what we wanted to come back and see properly. 

And we went up the Space Tower which was brilliant. 

Portland I could have spent a lot lot longer in, but I can recommend dinner at the Blossoming Lotus.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2009, 01:06:33 pm »
Pike Place and the Space Tower were good although when we went Pike Place was very crowded.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2009, 01:37:15 pm »
If you want to see all of Seattle at once, then there's a viewing area high up the Bank of America Tower (Columbia Center), close to the striking Central Library.  Not sure if this is open at weekends

If you are into aviation, then head down to Boeing Field and the Museum of Flight.

« Reply #10 on: 23 September, 2009, 10:50:58 am »
Thanks for all this folks- I'll certainly try some of them.

I know that I shouldn't be going ( ;) Jaded) but I'm really looking forward to it.

« Reply #11 on: 26 September, 2009, 02:39:19 am »
Sleepy in Seattle.

We've arrived and 1st impressions are somewhat favourable (and how !).
Going out for a wander in a bit then we'll try to sleep 'til morning.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 28 September, 2009, 03:26:22 pm »
Insufficient time to read teh entire Intarwebs meant I missed this chiz, as I was (briefly) in Seattle on Friday afternoon.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #13 on: 29 September, 2009, 06:11:21 am »
Insufficient time to read teh entire Intarwebs meant I missed this chiz, as I was (briefly) in Seattle on Friday afternoon.

Too busy ranting about shit American hire cars eh ?  ;)
I may be doing the same about shit Korean hire cars soon.

Back on topic- Seattle was fab and I would recommend it to anyone that I liked.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 29 September, 2009, 12:22:38 pm »

Too busy ranting about shit American hire cars eh ?  ;)

Too busy driving it as well.  For the second year running, a car hire company supplied TwatNav has failed to direct me to said company's return place at the airport.  Cue driving round in small circles shouting "Where's the entrance to that twatting airport, you bastards?"

It required a Good Book and a Several of 22 oz Fat Tires to get me back on an even keel.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime