Author Topic: Saddles wiv oles for geezers (non-Brooks)  (Read 6424 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Saddles wiv oles for geezers (non-Brooks)
« on: 22 May, 2008, 02:52:01 pm »
Annie's (BHBB*) thread, together with certain experiences and conversation on the Chapman, has forced to me admit to a flaw in my seating arrangements. I've never had pain from a saddle (except for the nasty Wrong Shorts episode on the '07 Rainsham), but the fact is that I'm not feeling a whole lot else down there after 600k.

So I'm considering something that's got a big gap in the middle, but don't want to change too much in case other problems crop up. Most of my miles have been on the Good Ole (San Marco) Rolls, which supports my sit-bones perfectly. I therefore am considering something with the same shaped support, but some kind of fissure down the middle. Ideally something with the same materials as the Rolls?

Any suggestions?

Selle do lots, but they all feature "Gel-Flow", which sounds like one of these things that will work great, but gradually wear out to become useless after 1000 miles.

[I also thought a separate thread for non-Brooks blokey saddles would be good, as the other thread is now an epic.]
(*Bless Her battered Behind)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Saddles wiv oles for geezers (non-Brooks)
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2008, 02:55:58 pm »
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 22 May, 2008, 03:26:05 pm »
Selle An-anatomica?

They're all for Audaxers looking to lighten their wallet, aren't they? (I forgot to mention I'm looking more at the budget end, if possible - you can never put too much info when you start a topic, can you? )

Nice picture of a Penny on their homepage!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 22 May, 2008, 03:26:44 pm »
Somewhere there's a piece of research that claims to show that perineal numbness is more reliably linked to a more upright riding position than to the absence of holes in a saddle. Counter-intuitive, I know.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2008, 03:34:12 pm »
I have an old terry fly that you could borrow and try out (it's not the leather covered one, it's a cheaper model)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2008, 04:44:21 pm »
Specialized saddles seem to work very well.  A BG2 Sport works very well for my nether regions on dropped bar bikes; BG2 Mtn for more upright.  Both about £25, which is good value.
Getting there...

annie

« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2008, 06:52:49 pm »
I have a red, Selle Italia SLR, very sexy looking saddle, only used once for approximately 60miles.  I would be happy for you to try it out, it has a cut out in the middle.

I won't be using it again and will be selling it at some time.

Will look for a pic on the web

Wiggle

Sorry to hear about your woes, I know how you feel. :-\ :'(

Anyway, I previously had numbness in a certain delilcate area but this has disappeared, even with the Brooks which doesn't have a cut out I don't get any numbness, so for me the answer wasn't just about having a hole in the middle.

What sort of position are you riding in for the majority of the time?

Have you lost all sensation?  Sorry for such a personal question but it is necessary to know all the facts in order to give any proper advice.

Photographs will not be necessary ;)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2008, 07:35:26 pm »
Selle do lots, but they all feature "Gel-Flow", which sounds like one of these things that will work great, but gradually wear out to become useless after 1000 miles.

The gel used in saddles these days lasts a long time, but it's not as supportive as firm foam.  If you can't find any new Selle Italia saddles without gel, you will find older models on the second-hand market.  The Trans Am versions are the ones with holes.  Something half way in between a Flite Trans Am (hard and narrow) and the FLX Trans Am (relatively soft and wide) might suit you.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2008, 03:19:11 pm »
Somewhere there's a piece of research that claims to show that perineal numbness is more reliably linked to a more upright riding position than to the absence of holes in a saddle. Counter-intuitive, I know.

Indeed.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2008, 04:44:50 pm »
I'm finding that I get fewer problems now riding in a very upright position (on a Selle Royal Freedom) than leaned over on my old Brooks.

Yes, I know that proves nothing. Just thought I'd mention it.  :)
There's no vibrations, but wait.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2008, 05:22:01 pm »
Windy / annie
You're very kind, I shall send PMs.

Matt
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Rapples

« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2008, 05:25:39 pm »
Do you live near me (Sandy)  I have 3 Flite trans am's on various bikes.  You're welcome to try one

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:55:29 pm »
Some bedtime reading:
http://www.andrologyjournal.org/cgi/reprint/23/6/927.pdf
Nocturnal Penile Tumescence and Rigidity Testing in
Bicycling Patrol Officers
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

annie

« Reply #13 on: 27 May, 2008, 12:57:23 pm »
Some bedtime reading:
http://www.andrologyjournal.org/cgi/reprint/23/6/927.pdf
Nocturnal Penile Tumescence and Rigidity Testing in
Bicycling Patrol Officers

:o

gonzo

« Reply #14 on: 27 May, 2008, 01:23:13 pm »
Fizik airone's are generally accepted as the most widely comfortable saddles out at the moment, but it's rumoured that even though there's no numbness, they're not great for the undercarriage.

I've not heard a bad thing said about the Specialized racing cut saddles and they've got a cutout too.

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #15 on: 27 May, 2008, 01:41:31 pm »

I have tried lots of saddles, if you want one with cut outs
I can recommend Specialized Alias the comfort are really good, but I dont think it
will survive 2 years if you ride many miles.

Selle SMP are another option. It looks extreme and feels odd in the begining, but I used it for all my audax rides last year
and had no problems.

G

« Reply #16 on: 27 May, 2008, 02:40:41 pm »
hmmm after reading that police report, maybe next year I will tackle LEL on a bent...

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #17 on: 28 May, 2008, 08:06:17 am »
Specialized saddles seem to work very well.  A BG2 Sport works very well for my nether regions on dropped bar bikes; BG2 Mtn for more upright.  Both about £25, which is good value.
+1. 
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #18 on: 09 June, 2008, 06:51:07 pm »

Selle Italia - Max Flite Gel Flow
Very nice saddles and quite comfy in the same vain the SLC Gel Flow is the next step but it's almost £100. A bit too flexy for my liking though.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #19 on: 09 June, 2008, 07:00:32 pm »
+1. 
-1   :(   A Spesh Pro on my audax bike left me unable to sit properly for a week.

Solution is a Brooks Swift Ti for me.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #20 on: 09 June, 2008, 08:00:04 pm »
 :) I agree with Valiant - the Max Flite is really good. Only done 500km on mine but absolutely no complaints. Bought from Merlincycles.co.uk for £42, which is ace value.

:( Specialized Alias in the extra wide that my backside needs was the most uncomfortable saddle I've ever had. Used it twice (both 200s) before passing it on.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances