Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3007723 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Some great excitement coming form Maidstone this evening.

Not a sentence you see in writing very often!

Possibly only because vehicle/building interactions causing no injury are quite commonplace and sometimes get no media attention.
D encountered this scene en route to the gym one evening.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
There was a Tesla in a shop in Bristol a couple of months ago.
It is simpler than it looks.

Charging cable too short ?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
our barn doors

I was well into the second sentence before I realised you literally meant the door of a barn, and not a piece of lighting equipment.   :facepalm:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
our barn doors

I was well into the second sentence before I realised you literally meant the door of a barn, and not a piece of lighting equipment.   :facepalm:

If only...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
This evening I picked up a couple of ladies and we all went for an 11pm skinny dip. It was a very fine end to my birthday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Well happy birthday Wowbagger!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
This evening I picked up a couple of ladies and we all went for an 11pm skinny dip. It was a very fine end to my birthday.

Shouldn't this be in the "how to make friends at over 35" thread?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist

Shouldn't this be in the "how to make friends at over 35" thread?
Are you saying that Wowbagger is older than 35?  :o
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Yesterday I got a Twitter notification that "Townhouse" had followed me.  I was quite surprised   :jurek: ,  I've never been a patron of that particular establishment (a well known Merseyside swingers club).   Then I remembered I'd followed a London gallery of the same name earlier in the day .....  https://www.townhousespitalfields.com
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Why are AliExpress sending me adverts for wigs & hair extensions  ???       

Rushes to put tape over the iMac camera....
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Just checked and Kiss Radio in Canada is still playing Rage against the machine - killing in the name ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jun/29/canadian-radio-station-rage-against-the-machine-song-nonstop

20 hours and counting - thread about it here https://twitter.com/traceylindeman/status/1542232903106629632

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Just went to put some recycling out to find that someone had dumped the head of a Colin the Caterpillar cake, in box, on top of one of the bins. ???

Aside from the fact that it was in the wrong place (that's what food bins are for), what sort of philistine does that? The head's the best bit! :o

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2022/jul/02/us-supreme-court-religion-church-state-separation

Supreme court is having fun aren't they.

They spent all those years failing to get rid of the Taliban in Afghanistan, now they're letting them take over at home as well.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

Indeed, though truthfully the fabled US separation between church and state is mostly just that. Fine words adhered to in the theory more than the practice. I'd said it before but the US is (to European eyes) an extremely religious country. Even in the NE, church-going was normal, and in Virginia, everyone went to church (and this a liberal, university town).

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Out on a bike ride today, saw a sign for a garden centre:
Me: oh look, a garden centre!
Pingu:
Me: Oh shit, I'm turning into my mother!   :facepalm:
Pingu:  :-X
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
Yebbut garden centres often have cafes with cake.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Thank you Helen :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Cudzoziemiec

I haven't been annoyed by the new QR stamps, partly because they don't annoy me but mostly because I haven't yet seen any. But here's someone suggesting that as we write fewer letters, Royal Mail are reducing the number of post boxes. Has anyone noticed this? They still seem very plentiful round here (one at the end of our street, another just four streets down the hill, a third just one street up and two streets over, etc etc; one every 300m or so). So has anyone noticed post boxes being closed or removed?

Meanwhile groups representing older people say that, as well as creating inconvenience, the change risks marginalising those who still rely on “snail mail”. These users are also affected most by price rises (first-class stamps went up by 10p to 95p in April). “It will be chicken and egg,” says Dennis Reed from the campaign group Silver Voices. “Less people will send letters so Royal Mail will say, ‘We won’t have as many collections or post boxes’ – and even fewer people will send letters.”
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jul/04/eventually-it-will-just-be-a-barcode-wont-it-why-britains-new-stamps-are-causing-outrage-and-upset

ian

Not around here, they still seem to be plentiful. I wouldn't be surprised if they've cut back on collections (I think the one at the bottom of my hill is just a daily collection), but then I rarely post anything other than an occasional birthday card, so I'd only notice if the box wasn't there.

Wait a minute, 95p for a stamp! It's still 26p in my head.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
There’s two along Larrington Towers Road plus a sub post office.  And in my head-branez a first class stamp is still 3p.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

Yes, they're all once a day collections round here. But then they've been like that for decades. I wonder if there's any legal obligation on density of post boxes or requirement to consult before removing them, like for (probably even less used) phone boxes? Also, if they do remove them, what do they do with them? I guess they sell them, given they're a hefty bit of iron and often of historic value.

ian

I still see those random postboxes out in the country, wedged into a wall somewhere random. I've also seen a couple of houses using them as postboxes (whether that means they've bought decommissioned ones, or there was already one outside, I don't know). They always have to stick a big sign on them to tell people not to post letters.