Author Topic: Spelling that makes you cringe  (Read 173024 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Spelling that makes you cringe
« Reply #1150 on: 18 December, 2022, 04:40:54 pm »
There are times when I'm required to write in Leftpondian and get caught out by the words that don't use -ize for -ise, like advertisement. I think the UK/US distinction has only become so definitive relatively recently and many people apply it overly rigidly, leading to mistakes like metre for meter.

Absolutely. Ize is the traditional, old-school, Shakespeare and Dickens, still-found-in-the-OED-as-preferred formation. Ise is the Johnny-come-lately variant, based on an incorrect assumption of a French derivation. Ize was in The Times' editorial style guide as the 'correct' form until about 30 years ago.

I blame spillchuckers written by USAnian software companies, though they've got better at accepting -ize when set to BRITISH English in recent years.  Which isn't necessarily helpful when you're trying to make things consistent, but there you go.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1151 on: 18 December, 2022, 04:43:12 pm »
I think -ize is still used by Penguin.

There are times when I'm required to write in Leftpondian and get caught out by the words that don't use -ize for -ise, like advertisement.

Interestingly, that's the one that I get caught out by too.  Somehow I'm mostly able to think of a Color as being a different thing to a colour, and never confuse a [floppy] disk with a [compact] disc or a [computer] program with a [television] programme.  But my BRANE still insists that a StringTokeniser should be a thing.

I've recently been working on adding features to CrossMgr, and have just about got the hang of 'License' as a noun.
The -or vs -our endings are so well known as to not be a problem, but to remind myself which is US v UK of disk v disc, I have to go via sceptic/skeptic and explaining to Polish students that not only do Americans pronounce it with a hard 'k' they even spell it that way (because the Polish cognate sceptyczny is all sibillants they were convinced that at least one variety of English must pronounce it that way too).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1152 on: 18 December, 2022, 04:49:49 pm »
Should that be sibillant or sibilant? Have I thought that if it's sibilant in Leftpondian it must be sibillant in Rightpondian? Cringetastic!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1153 on: 18 December, 2022, 04:57:50 pm »

There are times when I'm required to write in Leftpondian and get caught out by the words that don't use -ize for -ise, like advertisement.

Interestingly, that's the one that I get caught out by too.  Somehow I'm mostly able to think of a Color as being a different thing to a colour, and never confuse a [floppy] disk with a [compact] disc or a [computer] program with a [television] programme.  But my BRANE still insists that a StringTokeniser should be a thing.

I've recently been working on adding features to CrossMgr, and have just about got the hang of 'License' as a noun.
The -or vs -our endings are so well known as to not be a problem, but to remind myself which is US v UK of disk v disc, I have to go via sceptic/skeptic and explaining to Polish students that not only do Americans pronounce it with a hard 'k' they even spell it that way (because the Polish cognate sceptyczny is all sibillants they were convinced that at least one variety of English must pronounce it that way too).

In BRITISH English 'disk' is often considered short for diskette[1], which is both easy to remember, and clearly etymologically wrong if you give the history of the technologies involved a moment's consideration.

[1] An archaic term for a floppy disk, and not a troupe of dancing girls responsible for swapping disk packs on 1960s mainframes.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1154 on: 18 December, 2022, 05:07:23 pm »

In BRITISH English 'disk' is often considered short for diskette[1], which is both easy to remember, and clearly etymologically wrong if you give the history of the technologies involved a moment's consideration.

[1] An archaic term for a floppy disk, and not a troupe of dancing girls responsible for swapping disk packs on 1960s mainframes.
"So, what's a nice girl like you doing in a place like this?"
"Oh, I'm a diskette. In fact I'm one of Panasonic's People*."

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan%27s_People

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1155 on: 27 December, 2022, 11:50:32 pm »

« Reply #1156 on: 28 December, 2022, 10:19:41 am »
For years, women and non-binary people have battled society’s gender stereotypes, ridiculed for having wearing men’s clothes, having cropped air or appearing like a ‘tomboy’.
The air was so thick, you could have cut it with a number 1 clipper.
 :D
https://www.bristol247.com/lgbtq/news-lgbtq/reclaiming-butch-a-new-night-for-dancing-freely-and-letting-go/

Is that the produce of a wind farm?

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1157 on: 01 January, 2023, 01:16:20 pm »

IMG_0835_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1158 on: 01 January, 2023, 02:34:45 pm »
Grrrrrr!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Captain Nemo

• Defence de profundis
« Reply #1159 on: 01 January, 2023, 04:38:37 pm »
From the archives...

Brian of Britain

Sir - When Robert Robinson took over as host of the BBC Radio 4 quiz Brain of Britain in 1973, he was overjoyed to discover that, due to a typo on his contract, he was to chair something called Brian of Britain. From that moment on, the quiz was always referred to as Brian and the contestant­s known as Brians (Letters, September 17).

https://www.pressreader.com › uk › the-daily-telegraph › 20200919 › 282299617595454

« Reply #1160 on: 01 January, 2023, 09:06:49 pm »
I've got the best spellchecker. It's second to nine.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #1161 on: 02 January, 2023, 05:43:38 pm »
Mine's batter - it's seven of nine (bigger tights).
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

« Reply #1162 on: 03 January, 2023, 07:01:50 am »
There are times when I'm required to write in Leftpondian and get caught out by the words that don't use -ize for -ise, like advertisement. I think the UK/US distinction has only become so definitive relatively recently and many people apply it overly rigidly, leading to mistakes like metre for meter.

ah, but the distinction is made clear when pronounced (separate thread, I know) = ad-VERT-ise-ment versus ad-ver-TISE-ment

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1163 on: 03 January, 2023, 11:46:28 am »
Traditionally yes, but I think that particular distinction is wearing away.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1164 on: 09 February, 2023, 12:32:44 am »

Kirkcaldy.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1165 on: 09 February, 2023, 08:51:22 am »
That is very embarrassing.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1166 on: 09 February, 2023, 09:03:33 am »
I hope they got the bok thrown at them.

🦌🦌

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1167 on: 10 February, 2023, 07:25:54 pm »
From the Clwb Wisgi WhatsApp group.
It doesn't taste too much of Pete.

Well thank dog for that.   :sick:
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #1168 on: 22 April, 2023, 04:22:01 pm »
Analysis is important in how the problem is irradicated.
It almost works! If it's a problem that you can solve by making it less extreme, less radical...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1169 on: 10 May, 2023, 08:47:31 pm »

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1170 on: 11 May, 2023, 08:40:59 pm »
Ooof!

"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1171 on: 11 May, 2023, 08:55:32 pm »
Ventnor?  I think it's meant to be like that.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #1172 on: 11 May, 2023, 09:01:56 pm »
There is a place in NZ called Feilding (pronounced Fielding) so maybe it’s an archaic spelling or summat like that.

« Reply #1173 on: 11 May, 2023, 09:15:23 pm »
I before E except when it's not. It can be tricky. My mate at school, Pete Friend, once failed an exam by spelling his own name wrong.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1174 on: 11 May, 2023, 10:56:20 pm »
Know a chap yclept “Friend Wood”, whose first name is pronounced “Free-End”.  Mr Zuckerberg's Walled Garden, natch, wouldn’t let him use his real name so he re-monikered himself “Frank Costin” :demon: