Author Topic: Arthritis?  (Read 1822 times)

Zoidburg

Arthritis?
« on: 23 September, 2010, 01:15:04 pm »
I had to look up bones of the foot for this one.

The joint at the brevis(see diagram) has become swollen and the tendon is standing out proud over it, it doesn't hurt but it doesnt's feel right or like it will improve given time.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Gray268.png

Beginning of the end?

Re: Arthritis?
« Reply #1 on: 23 September, 2010, 01:27:23 pm »
Arthritis usually first shows up as pain in the joint (in my personal experience).  The noticeable swelling comes later.

You could just have some swelling on the cartilage, take it easy, give it a week or two.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Zoidburg

« Reply #2 on: 23 September, 2010, 01:31:14 pm »
It's been like this about 6 months.

I don't think it's something reversable.

« Reply #3 on: 23 September, 2010, 01:34:25 pm »
It could also be a bony spur - they are quite common. I had a friend who had several on his feet. When they started giving him trouble they were cut off on the NHS.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 23 September, 2010, 01:35:18 pm »
No it's the joint swelling, the tendon is standing out over it.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 23 September, 2010, 01:58:37 pm »
Brevis just means short.
The peroneal muscles (you have indicated the groove for peroneus brevis) twist the foot outwards. There could be an overuse injury of the tendon within the groove possibly caused by the use of pedals (?clipless?).
As with many overuse injuries, avoidance of provocation and NSAIDs can give relief.

It may be wise to see a sports therapist or your GP.

michael2u

« Reply #6 on: 11 October, 2010, 09:32:34 am »
I believe that its really a beginning of an end of your cycling career, if and only if you don't take care of your problem properly. You should regularly visit to a doctor and could also take the help of a physiotherapist. In addition to it you must also check your diet and put a control over it. Hope you will get well soon.:)

Zoidburg

« Reply #7 on: 12 October, 2010, 04:38:49 pm »
I believe that its really a beginning of an end of your cycling career, if and only if you don't take care of your problem properly. You should regularly visit to a doctor and could also take the help of a physiotherapist. In addition to it you must also check your diet and put a control over it. Hope you will get well soon.:)
Check my diet?

You really are talking rubbish.

Come here for a giggle?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 12 October, 2010, 04:42:26 pm »
Zoiders, I thought you'd know better than to take a joker seriously!

Zoidburg

« Reply #9 on: 12 October, 2010, 04:43:34 pm »
Zoiders, I thought you'd know better than to take a joker seriously!
I believe troll is the word you are looking for my dear.

« Reply #10 on: 12 October, 2010, 04:44:28 pm »
Well, he's got a point. ZB would do well to cut down on his 50 coffees a day  ;D

« Reply #11 on: 13 October, 2010, 03:47:46 pm »
Changed diet made an enormous difference to herself's arthritis. Enabled us to go on holidays e.g. that a few years ago would have been non-starters.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12 on: 13 October, 2010, 09:16:18 pm »
A change of diet seems to have made a significant difference to my arthritis. 12.5mg methotrexate consumed one a week works wonders.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.