Author Topic: Bedbugs  (Read 1774 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Bedbugs
« on: 21 October, 2010, 11:13:27 pm »
I can't remember where I heard it - in conversation with someone recently I think - but I understand that bedbugs are massively on the increase.

How bedbugs invaded New York | World news | The Guardian seems to confirm this.

Has anyone else heard this or had any recent experience of these nasty little gits?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Bedbugs
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2010, 11:36:18 pm »
Saw this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11491127 on the BBC a fortnight ago.
No personal experience.

« Reply #2 on: 22 October, 2010, 09:51:29 am »
Got bitten about 30 times in one go when camping in Torres del Paine national park in Chile. Tell tale signs of three bites in a row about an inch apart. Almost certainly it was when camping and sleeping in a sleeping bag borrowed from Refugio Chileno. Bites didn't show up for a couple of days.

Calomine lotion and anti-histamines from a local pharmacy helped.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2010, 12:42:43 pm »
I heard a thing on the radio saying something like 25% of people don't react to the bites so don't know they've got them.

Anyone else feeling itchy?

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2010, 12:49:33 pm »
A friend of mine got back from a cheapo package holiday in FOREIGN recently.  She dropped round for tea the other day and showed me her legs - covered in bites.

Worse still, it would appear that they hitched a lift home in her suitcase because she's still getting bitten.

:o
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2010, 01:01:26 pm »

Worse still, it would appear that they hitched a lift home in her suitcase because she's still getting bitten.

:o

She should have placed her suitcase in the bath, they soon start looking for a host and can be spotted in the bath.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 22 October, 2010, 04:18:17 pm »
If you've got them, you're in good company.

Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #7 on: 23 October, 2010, 11:09:30 pm »
If you're booking a hotel, it's worth looking at TripAdvisor before booking.

You'd be surprised by how many hotels in the UK, including some very posh/expensive ones, have a problem with bed bugs...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2010, 08:54:58 pm »
I reckon I got nommed by them in a hotel in Brussels about 3 yrs ago. A couple of days later I was offshore and had to go to the medic to get slathered in calamine lotion cos my back was covered in bites. Fortunately it appeared we didn't bring them home with us.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #9 on: 27 October, 2010, 04:47:58 pm »
If you're booking a hotel, it's worth looking at TripAdvisor before booking.

You'd be surprised by how many hotels in the UK, including some very posh/expensive ones, have a problem with bed bugs...

Mind you, it's also worth bearing in mind that Trip Advisor is a battleground where hotel represtatives deliberately trash other hotels' reputations and big up their own under fake IDs. It's hard to know what to believe on there any more. Bedbug accusations are a really easy way to ruin an establishment's reputation...

« Reply #10 on: 27 October, 2010, 05:11:04 pm »
I used Asia rooms earlier this year. This is similar to Trip Adviser.

I had received a confirmed booking with a Hotel reference number. When I arrived the Hotel didn't even know that I had a booking and no single rooms were available.

At least they upgraded me to a double at no extra cost and I didn't receive any bites whilst in bed :) When I complained to Asia rooms about their confirmed booking that wasn't they blamed the Hotel of course.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"