Author Topic: Changes to prescription prepayment certificate?  (Read 4058 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Changes to prescription prepayment certificate?
« on: 24 November, 2010, 09:31:13 pm »
For two years, I have carried a prepayment certificate for my methotrexate and folic acid. It costs £104 a year, taken in 10 monthly instalments. It is worthwhile because methotrexate is considered to be sufficiently toxic that I'm only trusted with 4 weeks' worth of tablets on each prescription, therefore I need 13 prescriptions in the year. The folic acid is prescribed every 3 months.

Last time I renewed, I didn't receive a reminder. I allowed the old certificate to lapse, having persuaded the doc to give me one prescription slightly early, and then delayed my renewal until I needed some more methotrexate, thereby squeezing 14 batches out of one year's worth.

This morning I received a reminder, which told me that my certificate would automatically be renewed and a new DD started on 7th December, even though my old certificate is valid until 20th December. At the bottom of the letter it had the following:-

"Important note: If you take no action, you are agreeing to:

*buy a 12-month PPC starting on the day after your current one expires;

*the enclosed terms and conditions"

I rather object to having a "doing nothing will constitute agreeing to our terms and conditions" clause.

Is this sort of thing legal?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

sas

• Penguin power
    • My Flickr Photos
Re: Changes to prescription prepayment certificate?
« Reply #1 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:36:26 pm »
What did the original DD agreement say?
I am nothing and should be everything

LindaG

« Reply #2 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:49:05 pm »
But that's the same letter I've had for the last two years, to renew my PPC.

It makes sense to me, because sadly, once old crocks like me start needing regular meds, we're unlikely to need less over time.  More likely, more.   :(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:50:12 pm »
Asthmatics are one LTC group who don't get free prescriptions >:(
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:54:35 pm »
I can find no mention of this sort of thing. I received a reminder last year, dated 16th Oct, and certainly there was no mention in that of a "do nothing" clause.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:54:48 pm »
Next time round I'm just going to get a 12 month one and have done with it.  While my mountain of steroids and antihistamines is sufficiently non-lethal that they will generally agree to prescribe it in 3-monthly batches, the computer inevitably takes objection to my repeat prescription request for some unanticipated reason (typically, GP forgot to click on the right tickybox when telling the asthma review thinger to sod off n months ago) and I have to make a review appointment.  Which always ends up being the day after the PPC expires.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 24 November, 2010, 09:59:07 pm »

It makes sense to me, because sadly, once old crocks like me start needing regular meds, we're unlikely to need less over time.  More likely, more.   :(

That's true, but why renew the day the old one expires when you don't need any drugs for another month? I'm sufficiently penny-pinching that I'll do that, and I particularly objecting to paying the first instalment of next year's DD when this year's PPC has another fortnight to run.

LindaG

« Reply #7 on: 24 November, 2010, 10:19:44 pm »

That's true, but why renew the day the old one expires when you don't need any drugs for another month? I'm sufficiently penny-pinching that I'll do that, and I particularly objecting to paying the first instalment of next year's DD when this year's PPC has another fortnight to run.

You know, that's a good point, and I hadn't thought of it.  I just got a fresh batch of inhalers on the old one plus some iron tablets, and could have gone another six weeks without any more  >:(

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 25 November, 2010, 09:08:55 am »
MY re-ordering isn't as structured as all that, so I appreciate the anytimeness of the system.
Getting there...

The Mechanic

« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2010, 11:02:59 am »
It is slightly different in Scotland as they are phasing out prescription charges (my last 12 month PPC was only £38.  I do not pay by DD but do as advised above.  I let mine run out and renew it at the chemists when I next collect a prescription.  I get 2 months stuff at a time so, if I time it right I get 14 months for the price of 12.  I think this is my last one thought as they are free from Apri; 2011, unless the current austerity moves cause a rethink.