Author Topic: Osteoporosis  (Read 3365 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Osteoporosis
« on: 22 March, 2011, 11:46:41 am »
I've got it apparently. I had an X-ray last week because of my sciatica and I've just spoken to the Doc. He reckons I've "lost height" because of it and it's the reason I've got a trapped nerve. I have to collect a prescription tomorrow.

I am a woman. I have a form of rheumatoid arthritis, which affects three times as many women as men, and now osteoporosis, which also affects more women than men, again at roughly a 3:1 ratio.

I haven't had a hot flush yet.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: Osteoporosis
« Reply #1 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:53:52 am »
I've got it apparently. I had an X-ray last week because of my sciatica and I've just spoken to the Doc. He reckons I've "lost height" because of it and it's the reason I've got a trapped nerve. I have to collect a prescription tomorrow.

I am a woman. I have a form of rheumatoid arthritis, which affects three times as many women as men, and now osteoporosis, which also affects more women than men, again at roughly a 3:1 ratio.

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about your further misfortune.  However, you are not a woman: you may be the reason another three women have just been diagnosed!

All the best

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #2 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:58:50 am »
Well you don't shave as much as most women I've encountered.

Seriously though, that's a bugger.  I guess that means yet more medication you'll have to take.   :-\

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 22 March, 2011, 11:59:48 am »

Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about your further misfortune.  However, you are not a woman: you may be the reason another three women have just been diagnosed!

All the best

Cheers!

Actually, I know I'm not a woman really. Charlotte has the photographic evidence! ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #4 on: 22 March, 2011, 12:03:57 pm »
Well you don't shave as much as most women I've encountered.

Seriously though, that's a bugger.  I guess that means yet more medication you'll have to take.   :-\
Indeed, although I don't know what yet.

I can only think I have inherited both arthritis and osteoporosis from my mother, who suffered badly. I've always had a better diet than is good for me and I've always been pretty active - done regular walking, that sort of thing.

My mother was well 'ard and didn't complain. Neither did she go for medication, which obviously wouldn't have been so advanced 40 years ago when she started to suffer. I am a wimp, can't stand pain and will do anything I can to alleviate it. I will also complain long and hard.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 22 March, 2011, 10:45:21 pm »
Quote from: Oscar Wilde
All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
I'm busy proving Oscar wrong. My mother had both rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #6 on: 23 March, 2011, 01:19:09 am »
Ah bugger, that sounds immensely annoying.  I hope the medication is able to slow the progress of it and indeed rebuild some of your bone densities back up so you can get back on the saddle soonest.

I think regular, long and hard complaining is absolutely your right and entitlement!

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #7 on: 23 March, 2011, 01:30:45 am »
I am a woman.

..... and can I just say what a lovely blouse you're wearing!

I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 23 March, 2011, 01:25:34 pm »
I am a woman.

..... and can I just say what a lovely blouse you're wearing!

*blushes coyly*

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #9 on: 13 May, 2011, 06:14:38 pm »
Now here's a conundrum.

Daughter no 1 (Martha's mum) has just told me that she's been told by medical professionals that too much dairy (calcium) consumption causes osteoporosis. This seems counter-intuitive. So far as I understand it, the science is like this: throughout one's life, osteoblasst produce bone whereas osteoclasts break bone down. One's bone mineral density is therefore in a constant state of flux.

However, in major dairy consuming countries (US, UK) there is, apparently, more osteoporosis and greater incidence of hip fractures in the elderly than in countries with much lower dairy intake. Some of this can be attributed to obesity and largely sedentary lifestyles causing more falls, and worse consequences of those falls.

The other consideration is that osteoblasts and osteoclasts have limited lives, and like all cells, their production slows down dramatically as you get older. A high calcium intake in early life will therefore lead to a high BMD but an earlier loss of osteoblasts will result in a much larger drop-off of bone density in old age. In countries with much lower dairy consumption, the theory is that their osteoblasts don't die so fast so when they reach an advanced age their bone mass is still being replaced.

Oestrogen and testosterone production both have an effect, the former more so, which is why 80% of osteoporosis sufferers are women. Also, oestrogen reduces in women at a younger age than testosterone in men, so whereas in women the onset of osteoporosis tends to be at the menopause (late 40s / early 50s) in men it's about 10 years later. I'm 57next month.

I suppose the most reliable remedy is to increase my sexual activity.

« Reply #10 on: 13 May, 2011, 06:20:55 pm »
I suppose the most reliable remedy is too increase my sexual activity.

Jeez.

Its a tough call....

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #11 on: 13 May, 2011, 08:02:28 pm »
There's an obvious comment about the solution being at hand.........
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #12 on: 14 May, 2011, 09:59:18 am »
Well that doesn't seem to have done my back any good. :(

« Reply #13 on: 14 May, 2011, 04:38:46 pm »
And it is said that such activity makes one go blind :hand:
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 15 May, 2011, 12:32:19 am »
And it is said that such activity makes one go blind :hand:

Pardon?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2011, 01:18:11 am »
US UK are also major car using cultures.

It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2011, 05:17:22 pm »
That's weird.

I've been for my DXA scan. They weighed and measured me, in kg and feet and inches. I was 5' 10½", which is half an inch more than I've ever been.

I'll be interested in the results when they arrive.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #17 on: 14 July, 2011, 02:59:57 pm »
I phoned the rheumatology dept. this afternoon because no-one had told me what the Dexa scan revealed.

The results were normal!

That's strange, since both my GP  and the rheumatology consultant agreed that the x-ray on my back indicated that I had lost some height.

If it turns out that I haven't got osteoporosis, I'll be quite happy to stop taking the alendronic acid, which is a bit of a nuisance, meaning that I have to sit still and not eat anything when my instincts and stomach keep saying "Breakfast!".