Author Topic: Keeping hydrated and recovering  (Read 2067 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Keeping hydrated and recovering
« on: 23 June, 2008, 10:48:36 pm »
Since the start of my new job I have felt a bit weak and tired at the end of the day. I'm outside for around 8 hours and on my feet or bike for most of that. Most of the time I do not have the opportunity to drink enough water and when I do I clearly do not get enough in me. The reason I find it hard to get water down me is that I am teaching and a) don't have the time and b) if I start to drink the kids all want some too!

I wonder if there is something I could eat that could help me to keep hydrated in the morning and at lunch, that also helps me to recover after the day. I'm thinking if there is some sort of protein/carbo drink that could help?

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Keeping hydrated and recovering
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2008, 10:57:01 pm »
You will pass more urine as your glycogen supplies are used. To counter this, eating any sort of carbs, especially starchy things, would help.
It's probably wise not to overdo the teacakes though!
You might find it useful to have a BIG mug in the staff room.
Fruit juices are less diuretic than some watery drinks.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #2 on: 23 June, 2008, 11:14:39 pm »
Ta, the reason I say that I'm dehydrated is that I a) do not get to drink much compared to before b) and I do not go to the loo that often either c) when I do it is dark and smells. I pretty much only go on the morning at lunch time(sometimes) and when I get home, I used to go many more times and it would be clear and not so smelly. At weekends/evenings the wee situation is back to normal :)

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2008, 08:03:34 am »
When I am teaching up to 8 - 10 hrs of 1 2 1 I always have a 1 li bottle on the bike, with another at the base.

When I am doing classes then drinking on the move is part of the lesson, even if the pupils do not have bottles, you can always demonstrate the required actions (drinking  ;) )

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Tiger

« Reply #4 on: 24 June, 2008, 06:06:44 pm »
You are suffering from metabolic accelerated anhydration. The increased work rate is driving overactive liver and kidney function which is making you pee more darkly than usual.
That dark colour is esential minerals being lost - that is why you are so tired.
The solution is to drink your pee - you will reingest the essential minerals and feel a lot better. 

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 24 June, 2008, 06:31:49 pm »
Most minerals in urine are colourless.
I believe the colour in urine is due to urochrome whose composition I know not.
A (hidden handy) bottle of water might help woolly.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 24 June, 2008, 06:55:15 pm »
What's wrong with taking the occasional sip from a 2l water bottle?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #7 on: 24 June, 2008, 06:57:42 pm »
You could use a Camelback, and take diiscreet sips.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8 on: 24 June, 2008, 07:11:19 pm »
Well when I'm a co-instructor there is plenty of times where I can sip water, as I will not always be right in front of the kids, to the water in take is not so bad.

It is when I'm the leading instructor I'm right in front of the kids and because I'm the one talking I need to drink. And when they see me drinking something they want to drink too even though they do not need it. And when 7 kids are "playing" around with water bottles, even when you tell them to be quick you will have lost 5min of the teaching time.

I have started to just drink and ignore their request for a drink, but give them some water between each drill, some of the kids are ok with it when you tell them that they will get some later.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2008, 02:31:11 pm »
It is when I'm the leading instructor I'm right in front of the kids and because I'm the one talking I need to drink. And when they see me drinking something they want to drink too even though they do not need it. And when 7 kids are "playing" around with water bottles, even when you tell them to be quick you will have lost 5min of the teaching time.
This is exactly the sort of irritating crap that, had I stuck at teaching, would probably have driven me bonkers.

<takes looooong slug of cold water from insulated mug by monitor>
;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles