Author Topic: The Good News / Bad News Thread  (Read 394297 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: The Good News / Bad News Thread
« Reply #2850 on: 02 December, 2021, 05:42:44 am »
For the final connection, I'm not sure if they simply replace that bit, only 1" typically for domestic, or insert and cut near the end.  One of the main benefits of live insertion is not needing to dig up massive swathes of the high Street, just pits at either end of the insertion.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2851 on: 02 December, 2021, 10:33:56 am »
The preference is to slip line the main trunk mains that don't have the customer connections directly then the slip lining can be circa 500m lengths and only needs a large excavation at these points. When slip lining a main with customer connections then an excavation circa 0.3m x 0.75m is required at every customer connection to cut away a section of the old main and fuse on a ferrule for the customer supply.

« Reply #2852 on: 02 December, 2021, 02:47:10 pm »
OK thanks both. No AI robots yet then. ;D

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2853 on: 02 December, 2021, 05:16:13 pm »
they do have no/minimal dig solutions already, "moles" for getting the 1" pipe from the pavement to the house and "core and vac" trucks to basically take a plug of road out over a leak, sadly both still require human operators.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #2854 on: 14 December, 2021, 12:19:27 pm »
BN: A nice cup of tea is not instant
GN: I had that thought three minutes ago

« Reply #2855 on: 14 December, 2021, 06:48:06 pm »
BN eldest monkey tested positive on a lateral flow

GN apart from being tired she's thus far fine

GN our, well really she's the wife's but we get on well due to a mutual love of cricket, absolutely lovely and thankfully well off friend deliveroo ordered us snacks and wine to cheer us. Initially I rejected as we often get deliveries not for us till the courier mentioned the name although I did have to ring her for her DOB as had wine on and my wife was on a zoom call so hadn't seen the message

« Reply #2856 on: 16 December, 2021, 11:49:43 am »
BN: LF positive on Tuesday, despite a negative on Monday.
GN: I was sent home from work to self-isolate for 11 days. Taking me conveniently to the start of my leave until 4/1.
GN: My PCR test arrived yesterday and was opened, completed and posted less than an hour later.
GN: On tracking the item on Royal Mail's website, it was delivered at 23.24 yesterday, so less than 6.5 hours after the collection time. Impressive!
BN: Although not too ill generally, I have a very sore throat that is defying ibuprofen and paracetamol.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2857 on: 19 December, 2021, 12:55:25 pm »
Bad news: the vacuum cleaner is broken.

Good news: I’m choosing the believe that the acrid burning smell is the soul of James Dyson.

More good news: Mrs Dan had already bought another vacuum cleaner, so the housework can still be done.

« Reply #2858 on: 23 December, 2021, 10:52:36 am »
Good News - Coldplay to stop making "music"

Bad News - But not until 2025.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2859 on: 23 December, 2021, 11:09:11 am »
They interviewed Coldplay's bass player on the anbaric distascope the other night and he actually seemed like a perfectly nice sort of chap.  Either he led a life of unparalleled wickedness in a previous incarnation or he’s like James Blunt, who should also never have been allowed within a day’s tank drive of a recording studio.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2860 on: 23 December, 2021, 11:18:37 am »
Bad news.   Several days ago the bottom 2 5ths of my phone screen failed. Or left 2 5ths in landscape.  Or right 2 5ths....
GN.  Last night it was working again, for no apparent reason.
BN.   It wasn't working again this morning.
GN.   I'm getting really good at knowing where to tap on the missing part of the keyboard.

BN.  I can't afford a new phone right now.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2861 on: 23 December, 2021, 12:15:09 pm »
They interviewed Coldplay's bass player on the anbaric distascope the other night and he actually seemed like a perfectly nice sort of chap.  Either he led a life of unparalleled wickedness in a previous incarnation or he’s like James Blunt, who should also never have been allowed within a day’s tank drive of a recording studio.

"Parachutes" was the soundtrack to many a summers evening - courtesy of our then neighbour who delighted in serenading the neighbourhood with it from around her firepit  >:(
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2862 on: 23 December, 2021, 01:45:03 pm »

I think Mitch Benn covered everything we need to know about both inexplicably popular beat combos.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #2863 on: 23 December, 2021, 04:33:22 pm »

"Parachutes" was the soundtrack to many a summers evening - courtesy of our then neighbour who delighted in serenading the neighbourhood with it from around her firepit  >:(
Not heard it called that before.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #2864 on: 24 December, 2021, 08:40:20 am »
I assume that she's a redhead.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2865 on: 04 January, 2022, 08:13:55 pm »
Hurrah: The Great Monthly Backup of All Things, which started running at 05:30 on New Year's Eve, is about to finish part 17/19 :thumbsup:
Bah: Actually it isn’t, because there's eleven episodes of Messrs. MacGregor & Boorman titting around on motorbikes, at around 2GB a pop, still to go :'(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2866 on: 08 January, 2022, 10:43:20 pm »
BN:  Pinged by the Covid app.  So that will probably have been last nights concert at St Georges Hall, featuring Isata Kaneh-Mason.   Mandatory mask wearing for the audience & staff, with 100% compliance from what I saw.   

GN: tonights test negative, though i have a slightly sore throat.   Will definitely be doing another tomorrow before visiting family, or may just call it off altogether.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2867 on: 10 January, 2022, 08:46:31 pm »
BN: Wizzair changed my flight times from LTN to silly o'clock. I booked LTN because the nearer BHX flight times were silly o'clock.

GN: I'll get a refund.

GN: APCOA refunded my car parking very quickly, without quibbling or hassle.

BN: It'll mean that I won't see my eldest daughter for over a year.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2868 on: 18 January, 2022, 04:44:30 am »
Bad News: I had a tumble on black ice on Sunday, ripping my nice tights, bought from Shutt Velo just a few weeks ago. They weren't cheap, and were possibly the best tights I'd ever had.

Good News: I had a quick look at Shutt's website, to see how much a replacement pair would cost, more in hope than expectation. Guess what:they have a "Crash Replacement Policy". Just send them a short description of the incident and a photy of the damage, and get a replacement for 50% of what you paid. So, I emailed them with my tale of woe and got a discount code from them within minutes. No hassle, no "send us you damaged item for us to inspect" condition. Well impressed.  :thumbsup:
https://shuttvr.com/pages/crash-replacement

I know some helmet companies do crash replacement deals, but I'm not aware of any other clothing companies that do?

MODS: Maybe this should be in Reviews?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2869 on: 18 January, 2022, 09:32:05 am »
Don't/didn't Rapha do something similar? I've never owned any Rapha so commenting only from hearsay.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2870 on: 18 January, 2022, 11:07:47 am »
Don't/didn't Rapha do something similar? I've never owned any Rapha so commenting only from hearsay.

Free repair service (with some restrictions): https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/repair-service

« Reply #2871 on: 18 January, 2022, 11:12:18 am »
I've had Rapha repaired. Twice. They did a pretty good job, actually. I didn't mention that the hole on the hip was where I'd managed to rip a hole in them with my fingernails. The knee repair was crash damage.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2872 on: 18 January, 2022, 11:24:39 am »
If only actual knees were as easy to repair. :-\
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2873 on: 18 January, 2022, 02:31:42 pm »
The only Rapha I've crashed in was, of course, something I'd bought second-hand, and therefore couldn't provide the original receipt to get it repaired. :(

On a different note...
GN: The Christmas tree forest in the street has finally gone!
BN: The council only collected it 13 days late... :-\

« Reply #2874 on: 18 January, 2022, 03:25:28 pm »
My Rapha was also second hand. Ex Mrs swiss hat, IIRC.