Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1614679 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14675 on: 21 May, 2022, 10:38:01 am »
Needed to get part n° of "Do not disassemble" BB on eCow. Natch, it's underneath. Easy! Put phone on self-portrait, hold it under BB. But will the damn thing focus? No it will not: it has caught a glimpse of my horrid hovering physog and even though I put BB between me and it the twat still knows I'm up there somewhere and will not look at what's right in front of it. Fuzzy shots & dudgeon ensue.

I end up using the front camera and aiming at the touch-screen blurgs via an old mirror tile on the floor.  Dontcha just love tech?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14676 on: 23 May, 2022, 08:41:59 am »
Why do smoke-alarm batteries invariably run out at 3 am?

Just noticed that the battery was best before March 2019 and I bought & installed the alarm in August 2019.  The mairie had bought up a shitload of them and flogged them to denizens at cost - we bought two.

« Reply #14677 on: 23 May, 2022, 09:29:37 am »

Because that's when they're at their coolest.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14678 on: 23 May, 2022, 09:42:09 am »

Because that's when they're at their coolest.
There’s nothing cool about the battery reminder going off at 3am >:(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #14679 on: 23 May, 2022, 09:37:55 pm »
Thank you all. I'm happy to report that non-strenuous cycling appears to be possible (that's how I got to the last physio appointment).

Look after your back everyone !!
Bugger. Proper knackered now. Spent all day flat on my back. Not getting any better. Off to A&E tomorrow I think (though no idea how I'm going to get there).
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14680 on: 24 May, 2022, 10:21:30 am »
French income tax return time: my annual grapple with bank-account downloads and that Excel thing. :sick: :sick: :sick:

We received a princely 137€ more than last year. Missus! Put some more water in the soup.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14681 on: 25 May, 2022, 11:56:00 pm »
Washing machine, your purpose it to wash Stuff.  Not get through an indeterminate fraction of the wash cycle before giving up and showing “UE” on your little display-face.

“UE” is LGese for “imbalanced load”.  Yes.  Yes, it is.  Two towels, two pillow cases, a duvet cover and a sheet, in this case.  Gertcha!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #14682 on: 26 May, 2022, 09:39:13 am »
Washing machine, your purpose it to wash Stuff.  Not get through an indeterminate fraction of the wash cycle before giving up and showing “UE” on your little display-face.

“UE” is LGese for “imbalanced load”.  Yes.  Yes, it is.  Two towels, two pillow cases, a duvet cover and a sheet, in this case.  Gertcha!

We once had a Bosch service engineer who tested our machines ability to sense an unbalnaced load with the aid of his newest piece of eqyuipment - a pink hot water bottle.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14683 on: 26 May, 2022, 10:51:03 am »
Redid it in two lots, end of cycle reached without further grumbling from machine.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14684 on: 26 May, 2022, 03:46:21 pm »

Just noticed that the battery was best before March 2019 and I bought & installed the alarm in August 2019.  The mairie had bought up a shitload of them and flogged them to denizens at cost - we bought two.

We have named these 'Sleep Detectors' somewhere in this very forum.
Voltage drops when batteries are at their coolest…

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31801.msg2625378#msg2625378

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14685 on: 26 May, 2022, 04:53:29 pm »

So if there's a fire under they should keep quiet.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #14686 on: 26 May, 2022, 05:04:05 pm »

I'm more than happy for them to sound LOUDLY when there is a real fire.
They're fairly sensitive to non-fires that occur when you're awake, like making toast.

The short, sharp, impossible-to-locate beep every 60 seconds, in the dead of night, is the annoyance that causes many to remove smoke detectors or their batteries, and never replace them.

I have a good stock of PP3 batteries as I neither wish to be immolated, murdered by a sleepless partner, nor kept awake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14687 on: 26 May, 2022, 06:13:00 pm »
If they kept beeping it wouldn't be so bad.  It's when they beep a few times in the middle of the night and then stop, so you don't know which one to defenestrate that really drives you insane.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14688 on: 26 May, 2022, 08:12:13 pm »
Personally I find it very effective to have a SO who is a lighter sleeper than you are  ;D
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14689 on: 26 May, 2022, 08:20:54 pm »
Personally I find it very effective to have a SO who is a lighter sleeper than you are  ;D
The problem with this approach is that lightly sleeping partners are usually sufficiently annoyed at being awoken while you slumber on that the exact revenge by waking you up to deal with THEIR disturbance.  >:(

DAMHIKT
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #14690 on: 26 May, 2022, 08:31:05 pm »

I'm more than happy for them to sound LOUDLY when there is a real fire.
They're fairly sensitive to non-fires that occur when you're awake, like making toast.

The short, sharp, impossible-to-locate beep every 60 seconds, in the dead of night, is the annoyance that causes many to remove smoke detectors or their batteries, and never replace them.

I have a good stock of PP3 batteries as I neither wish to be immolated, murdered by a sleepless partner, nor kept awake.

This is why we invented 'wires'.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14691 on: 26 May, 2022, 09:19:53 pm »
The problem with this approach is that lightly sleeping partners are usually sufficiently annoyed at being awoken while you slumber on that the exact revenge by waking you up to deal with THEIR disturbance.  >:(

DAMHIKT

Oh no! I am not "wakeable", I seem to be a heavy sleeper  ;)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #14692 on: 27 May, 2022, 08:08:17 am »
Our doorbell has started going off at random. This could become a rant if i can’t find a fix. (Battery in the push has been changed, ringers are on the mains.)

« Reply #14693 on: 27 May, 2022, 08:18:13 am »

Our doorbell has started going off at random. This could become a rant if i can’t find a fix. (Battery in the push has been changed, ringers are on the mains.)
Is this a wireless doorbell?

[...]

This is why we invented 'wires'.

ian

« Reply #14694 on: 27 May, 2022, 08:59:56 am »
It's what wireless doorbells do, keep you on your toes. We fixed ours by unplugging it.

« Reply #14695 on: 27 May, 2022, 09:21:43 am »
One of our DSs showed a slide full of code the other day. It's not the fucking Matrix.

That reminded me of one of our new corporate videos. Showing what cool people we are by having the handful of presentable and easy on the eye engineers doing cool stuff in darkened rooms, with their faces illuminated by their eye searing displays projecting text on to them. Which scrolls up the displays in an important and hi-tech looking way. But when you read the text it's all about errors in the code...

« Reply #14696 on: 27 May, 2022, 10:57:35 am »

Some car remote locking systems can trigger wireless doorbells, they use the same radio frequency.

« Reply #14697 on: 27 May, 2022, 11:41:35 am »
Grumble

MrsC chose our lawnmower - a flymo. I was against it, saying I wanted one with wheels.

It hasn't been too bac; less work and 'hovers' better than I expected.

However, the handles are flimsy. Really flimsy. Noticed that they were wobbling more than usual; yup, a bit broken. They clip on to the body with a metal spring clip, this pushes against a bit of plastic thinner than a matchstick.

Yeah, the leverage of the 1.2m long handles is taken by a bit of plastic thinner than a matchstick.

I think they are designed for perfect flat lawns that are mowed every two days.

Oh and the person who says they are easier on slopes has never had to mow an irregular lawn with steep sloping bits. They are good for giving your core a workout.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14698 on: 27 May, 2022, 11:57:44 am »
Yes, it’s wireless. It makes it easier to have a second ringer somewhere I might hear from in bed / while working. Been ok for years, I wonder if it has channels / an id that can be adjusted…

ian

« Reply #14699 on: 27 May, 2022, 12:29:23 pm »
I think ours get damp in the dinger, but who knows. I was going to get a grown-up to fit a replacement but then I remember I really don't want to answer the door (most couriers either follow the instruction to put the item in the box behind the porch or simply leave it on the doorstep). If I'm that excited about a delivery, I can turn on the outside security cameras which will ping me when someone approaches the front door. It also releases the bears.