Author Topic: Car boot sales. Info and advice needed.  (Read 2512 times)

gordon taylor

Car boot sales. Info and advice needed.
« on: 02 April, 2008, 03:18:14 pm »
Afetr twenty years in our house, we are awash with junk.

Does it make any sense to load up the car and spend a Sunday morning at a car boot sale - flogging the toys, tools, books, ornaments and videos which fill the loft space at home?

Anyone a car-boot regular?
What sells best?
How do I price things?
Any good tips?

Thank you all.

Re: Car boot sales. Info and advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2008, 04:22:21 pm »
What tools have you got? ;D ;D ;D

My sis in law car boots stuff and they bin anything that doesn't sell by the end of the day.

Stropping rocks

« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2008, 04:29:16 pm »
If you just want shot of it rather than actuallymake money just take whatever they offer you.   After all, it's recycling rather than landfilling.

Sure you;ll get some ridiculously low offers but if it shifts the stuff then job done.

rae

« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2008, 04:29:43 pm »
eBay?

« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2008, 04:33:57 pm »
You will definitely make some money. Mrs Pcolbeck and Master Pcolbeck (11) made over £100 at a car boot sale selling his old toys and books. It's better than the tip and you do get some money back. If you think anything is valuable use eBay instead or a proper auction.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2008, 06:11:43 pm »
If you do go to a CBS, they always seem to start at bizarrely early times (much like an audax  or a TT :) )

I haven't been to one in years but I would say get there before the crowds to avoid a huge pack of vultures buyers descending on your car when you arrive. You will then get a chance to 'set out your stall' in your own time.

Too many people around your car boot at once and you may get overwhelmed and I have heard people have stuff nicked off their tables when there are too many people gathered round at once.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2008, 06:50:28 pm »
Go to one or two CBS's for a recce and speak to some stall holders to find out what time you need to arrive, how profitable it is, what's the price of a pitch and how big is a pitch.  Remember that some sites charge you extra for a trailer.  Outdoor sales are usually a bit more flexible regards to turning up slightly later.  Be aware of the total amount of space.  I once drove 30miles to a sale arriving at 7am to get the last space, five minutes later and I would have been to late.
The most important rule is to pack your car with your tables on top of your goods or on a roof rack as you must assume that you will be swarmed by traders the instant you arrive, they can be very insistant about helping unpack, and without your tables already erected your goods will be stacked all over the ground.
Pricing - I tend not to bother marking prices on items in advance and try to judge levels during the day.  Many people can be remarkably reluctant to barter so if someone asks a price instead of replying "Five pounds" I usually say something like "I am hoping to get five pounds".