Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 170345 times)

Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #1000 on: 16 January, 2022, 07:48:56 pm »
lovely Nikon F-301 SLR, with a 28 - 80 Zoom lens. The only downside I can see from the start is that the frame counter doesn't reset to zero when a new film is loaded.

Nice! that's a great flashback.. pretty sure one of those was my last Nikon body! They're fab, I used it through university till it was stolen, then I got a deal on a canon body and couple of lens and haven't ever switched back.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #1001 on: 22 January, 2022, 11:28:41 pm »
Also arrived yesterday a Pentax 110 auto SLR. Liz' used one at my first wedding and I fell in love with the thing!
I have a source of 110 film, buying and getting it processed, and it's pretty much automatic. I'm hoping to get valuable use in my Framing of shots with only focus control being manual.
Most important... it Looks Uber Cute ;D
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1002 on: 22 March, 2022, 08:44:06 pm »
Also arrived yesterday a Pentax 110 auto SLR. Liz' used one at my first wedding and I fell in love with the thing!
I have a source of 110 film, buying and getting it processed, and it's pretty much automatic. I'm hoping to get valuable use in my Framing of shots with only focus control being manual.
Most important... it Looks Uber Cute ;D
I'd be interested to see the results.
I bought my wife the full kit (early 1980s).  Horrendous quality images.
I don't blame the camera.  It's 110 film that's the issue.
Hats off if you can get decent images.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1003 on: 22 March, 2022, 08:46:52 pm »
I'm waiting for my Fuji X100V to arrive.
I've been thinking about an X100 since the T model.
The weather-sealing and new, sharper, lens finally made me buy into the concept.

« Reply #1004 on: 22 March, 2022, 09:43:05 pm »
Is that extra gear in an attempt to make us more envious of your lifestyle and Instagram feed? It won't work you know.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1005 on: 26 March, 2022, 07:03:20 pm »
Is that extra gear in an attempt to make us more envious of your lifestyle and Instagram feed? It won't work you know.
Ha!!
No, but I hope you're enjoying the instagram stuff.

I've come to realise that I mostly enjoy using my Canon M50 with a 35mm equivalent lens.
I thought I'd go the whole 9 yards and get myself the camera that reminds me of those lovely family film cameras we had in the 60s and 70s.

« Reply #1006 on: 01 April, 2022, 07:28:58 pm »
Mmm, I appear to have gained, albeit a couple of months ago, a secondhand LUMIX S1r as a digital home for my old slr lenses.

« Reply #1007 on: 06 April, 2022, 05:46:51 pm »
I bagged a 120 film back for a Bronica ETRSi which also comes with a Polaroid film back for the same camera from a seller in Lairg on the 'bay bundled with a book about the camera and a superfluous lead for a flash that I don't have.  The price was half of what most are asking for a 120 back on it's own so quite the bargain as it was the 120 back that I wanted.

I am hoping to collect the ETRSi on Monday and enjoy a happy few spring, summer and autumn months remembering the joys of film photography with the type of camera that I always wanted but could never afford back in the day.   

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #1008 on: 06 April, 2022, 08:40:21 pm »
I did, I Hope, mention that it has  120 back on it at the moment?
I'm assuming you're looking at a Second 120 back, for swapping Film types?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #1009 on: 25 September, 2022, 03:45:49 pm »
A Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 lens for my Pentax DSLRs came up, and my ever-generous wife is buying it for my forthcoming birthday :thumbsup:

I don't think I'll ever swap away from Pentax; I like the K70 and K30 that I have, and I would never go to the trouble and expense of trading everything in for another brand. So the chance of a longer zoom was too good to miss. Now waiting for it to arrive so that I can play.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #1010 on: 30 September, 2022, 01:58:13 pm »
That's a bit of an animal!  I've got a Sigma 150-500 that must be 7 years old now.

Now I have a confession to make.

Forgive me father, for I have sinned mightily.  Well, my mother died recently, and left us some loot.  I decided we should each buy something we could not otherwise have afforded, that we wanted.  Mrs W bought a fancy sewing machine, I bought a Sony A1.  Well, its a logical progression from my 6 year old A7Rii... It is bloody amazing, I can't get over how good the eye autofocus is.  However, CF Express type A cards, how bloody much?
Wombat

« Reply #1011 on: 30 September, 2022, 07:05:17 pm »
That's a bit of an animal!
I've long had my eye on something like that. It's not the fastest, so it will be interesting to see what it can do. But I'm not the greatest photographer, so it's not like I could justify a £2000 one!

« Reply #1012 on: 30 September, 2022, 07:40:41 pm »
We bought ourselves two tickets for a symposium on the works of Chris Chapman and James Ravilious tomorrow.  I think Chapman might be in attendance, and Ravilious's daughter will be speaking. 
https://twitter.com/JamesRavilious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltiCK2YXhKM

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #1013 on: 03 October, 2022, 07:03:18 am »
Just bought a Nikkor Z MC 105mm macro lens.
It's scarily sharp and has bugger-all depth of field. I'm going to have to learn how to do focus stacking. Should be fun taking shots of small things.
I also got the Z 28mm f/2.8 as a walkabout lens for my Z6II.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1014 on: 04 January, 2023, 09:26:38 pm »
A Lee Big Stopper (10 stop)!

Theres been a few times I found my Lee Little Stopper (6 stop) didn't give me slow enough shutter speeds for daytime seascapes.

80 quid though for a square bit of glass!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #1015 on: 26 January, 2023, 08:52:44 pm »
Finding my previous tripod head, a Manfrotto  XPRO 3-Way Geared Head, somewhat prone to vibration during long 30 second exposures using the Lee Big Stopper, I've taken a punt on a Neweer 36mm Low Profile Ball Head.  Only £36 on Amazon!  Plus it uses Arca-Swiss style quick release plates which are pretty cheap to get.

According to the specs, this has Low Profile Ball Head has a max load of 15kg, compared to the 5kg max load of the Manfrotto XPro 3 Way Geared Head. Not that my camera & lens & filter set up is anywhere near 15kg!  But the ball head will probably be easier in use for macro photos of mushrooms / lichen etc compared to a geared head. 

Of course, the proof will be in the actual testing, but it seems like it should be ideal for my use. Next stage will probably be a better tripod as well, as I think my Manfrotto 190 Pro B tripod is a bit prone to  vibration as well now. 

https://uk.neewer.com/collections/tripod-head-and-accessories/products/neewer-low-profile-camera-tripod-ball-head-66600998

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #1016 on: 29 January, 2023, 11:20:10 pm »
A Lumix GX880 micro 4/3 body (used from MPB). What a little jewel of a camera this is!

My first m4/3 camera was a little GF2 and whilst this was a bit limited in terms of some functions I loved the pocket-sized nature of it, especially with a 14mm or 20mm pancake prime lens. Subsequent upgrades have got much bigger (last purchase was a G80) so I've been finding that I don't always take a camera with me for days out etc. The GX880 will just slip into the pocket of my jacket or rucsac. It's so small it even needs a micro SD card 8).

I also bagged the tiny 12-32mm collapsible zoom to complete the setup. I now have the perfect travel camera.
Pen Pusher

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1017 on: 30 January, 2023, 07:40:33 am »
Well done.  I'm happy with my 1 Nikon J1 for cycling: smaller sensor but superb lenses.  Could use a viewfinder though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #1018 on: 30 January, 2023, 11:23:46 am »
Well done.  I'm happy with my 1 Nikon J1 for cycling: smaller sensor but superb lenses.  Could use a viewfinder though.

I deliberately chose a model without viewfinder to keep the body size as small as possible ;D. I don't know yet how it will fare in bright sunlight but the tilting screen should help in this respect.

Did I mention that it also charges via USB? That's a HUGE bonus for travelling.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #1019 on: 30 January, 2023, 03:34:55 pm »
NO 1 son has just purchased a second hand Fuji X100 as his first camera after years of using just his phone. £300 and absolutely mint condition. He loves it.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #1020 on: 05 February, 2023, 12:22:28 am »
NO 1 son has just purchased a second hand Fuji X100 as his first camera after years of using just his phone. £300 and absolutely mint condition. He loves it.

Perfect camera to learn about photography.

My "every day carry" is the X100V, the current evolution of the same camera.  If he looks after it then he'll have a collectible camera on his hands.

I tried film again last year, just to see if it rekindled any old flames ..... but it didn't.  If it's "Film look" you're after then get an old Fuji X or a Canon 5D mk1.   
All the lovely image quality but with some digital convenience (all for <300 squids)

As for film......  I am in the fortunate position of looking after the vintage camera collection of my local camera club (Eymet ("Ay-May") Photo club in South West France).
It was donated by an ex-member and it's stored at my house, between exhibitions.

If you like old cameras ..... https://youtu.be/YTV5hGmlEfk

« Reply #1021 on: 13 February, 2023, 06:31:28 pm »
A near mint condition waist level viewfinder for the Bronica ETRSi.

« Reply #1022 on: 27 February, 2023, 07:04:03 pm »
And today I have blagged a Speed Grip E.  Makes the camera nicer to handle without having to keep feeding it AA batteries and has a hot shoe which is perfect for a nice old Vivitar flash that I have.

I'm nearly ready for a project that I have been planning.

« Reply #1023 on: 27 February, 2023, 08:50:06 pm »
Mike, that is approaching weight training;)

Last year I picked up a Fuji GF670 - it might be a rangefinder and fixed (folding) lens, but it's still a big old thing. Brilliant negs mind.

For weight training work I also have a very old fotoman 617 with a 90mm lens.

none of that through the lens viewing for me!!

« Reply #1024 on: 05 March, 2023, 09:10:37 pm »
Mike, that is approaching weight training;)
For weight training work I also have a very old fotoman 617 with a 90mm lens.

none of that through the lens viewing for me!!

I am still hunting for a decent 100mm or 105mm lens which would be perfect for portrait work.  I want to go around and take piccies of all of the family using the Bronica on a tripod with a hood and backing it up with a dslr for "just in case".