Author Topic: Bought any photography stuff today?  (Read 170377 times)

Samuel D

Re: Bought any photography stuff today?
« Reply #875 on: 26 January, 2018, 12:35:14 am »
Do Instagram followers count?

Did you buy them today?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #876 on: 26 January, 2018, 04:47:57 pm »
As little as that for a battery grip? And an AA insert? Although it look like the Neewer battery grip for my 750D doesn't have an option for AA batteries... Although not really an issue as you can get third party compatible li-ion batteries for not too much money.

I get mine from here and they seem at least as good as originals for a fraction of the price

http://www.exprodirect.com/

Thanks LEE, I've bookmarked that site! I'm certainly glad I jumped ship from Pentax to Canon, at least there is a remarkably large market for third party gear for Canon & Nikon!  :thumbsup: Just a shame Canon lenses don't tend to come with lens hoods though.  And no, I'm not paying Canon prices for a lens hood for my 10-18, and 18-55mm canon lenses!

Ebay is your friend for Canon lens hoods.  I pay around £4 for Chinese copies (which are probably made on the same production line as the £25 Canon originals)  Just search on the lens hood model number.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #877 on: 27 January, 2018, 12:15:46 am »
Hmm, does http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/ still work?  *checks* It does.

Molished by a friend of mine some time ago in response to the price of Canon lens hoods.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #878 on: 28 January, 2018, 10:17:05 am »
I have acquired a selection of Peak Design straps. A Slider, a wrist strap and a thinner neck strap.

So far, they have been fantastic. The ability to snap a strap off a camera in seconds, swap straps and sliders over for different shooting situations, and they are comfortable and look good.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #879 on: 31 January, 2018, 12:53:33 pm »
I have acquired a selection of Peak Design straps. A Slider, a wrist strap and a thinner neck strap.

So far, they have been fantastic. The ability to snap a strap off a camera in seconds, swap straps and sliders over for different shooting situations, and they are comfortable and look good.  :thumbsup:

I have the Slider strap and the wrist strap.  Excellent as you say.  I just have the "dongles" on my camera bodies.

The beauty of the slider strap is that you can wear the strap over your shoulder and neck and have the camera low down, below your waist, out of the way. 
Nothing worse than looking like a total tourist with a branded neck strap, camera sat jutting out between your moobs.

« Reply #880 on: 01 February, 2018, 08:33:36 am »
Just pressed the button on a Olympus M. Zuiko Pro Digital 12-40mm, using HDew Cameras who appear to be a reliable source for grey imports. Whatever, it works out substantially less than the used version on the Bay of Thieves and they use SagePay so at least I have CC protection.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #881 on: 02 February, 2018, 05:54:39 pm »
Just pressed the button on a Olympus M. Zuiko Pro Digital 12-40mm, using HDew Cameras who appear to be a reliable source for grey imports. Whatever, it works out substantially less than the used version on the Bay of Thieves and they use SagePay so at least I have CC protection.

I bought my Canon 6D and a 24-105 L from them*

*Prices were so good I drove out to Croydon to make sure it was legit before my first purchase.

« Reply #882 on: 06 February, 2018, 10:07:11 am »
....and it has just arrived, I'm impressed.

Lens is clearly brand new, not in retail box but it does lack the lens hood, I'll have to see what they say about that.

ETA within 30  minutes of email they have confirmed they will provide a hood.

« Reply #883 on: 09 February, 2018, 10:04:36 am »
....and it has just arrived, I'm impressed.

Lens is clearly brand new, not in retail box but it does lack the lens hood, I'll have to see what they say about that.

ETA within 30  minutes of email they have confirmed they will provide a hood.

Which has arrived today  :thumbsup:

« Reply #884 on: 09 February, 2018, 12:47:33 pm »
Was on their site this morning. Interesting.

After a new camera and it's a choice between buying grey or asking my girlfriend to bring me one back from Canada when she visits home.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #885 on: 14 February, 2018, 03:36:36 pm »
Oooh - current pin up, glasswise
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #886 on: 15 February, 2018, 03:20:02 pm »

I've been using PD kit for years.  I love their little thin straps for when I need to carry more than one body and I'm wearing a nice thick coat to spread the load. 

Julian got me the big wide one for Christmas and it's bloody brilliant. 
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #887 on: 15 February, 2018, 04:22:29 pm »
Looking for an LED option for lighting simple interview videos. Thoughts from the panel..
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #888 on: 06 March, 2018, 06:51:13 pm »
Got some "Camera Armour" off Ebay for a tenner for the 5D.

Basically a silicone rubber "sleeve".  It fits well and means you don't need to be so careful when putting it down on a hard surface as the rubber takes the knocks.

The rubber, extendable, lens hood does the same for the lens (I'm really pleased with the lens hood.  I don't bother extending it.  The 40mm f/2.8 benefits from a little extra shade.)

Since this is my "Street" camera it helps to keep it slightly more discreet as well as bump-proof.

]

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #889 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:29:09 pm »
As discreet as a Marvel Superhero.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #890 on: 06 March, 2018, 10:44:46 pm »
As discreet as a Marvel Superhero.

::-)

It's actually quite hard to spot in the "real world" now.  More importantly though I can plonk it down on the ground, or a wall, without worrying about chipping or scuffing it (it's a heavy old lump).

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #891 on: 06 March, 2018, 11:27:49 pm »

« Reply #892 on: 06 March, 2018, 11:33:42 pm »

Basically a silicone rubber "sleeve".  It fits well and means you don't need to be so careful when putting it down on a hard surface as the rubber takes the knocks.

The rubber, extendable, lens hood does the same for the lens (I'm really pleased with the lens hood.  I don't bother extending it.  The 40mm f/2.8 benefits from a little extra shade.)

Since this is my "Street" camera it helps to keep it slightly more discreet as well as bump-proof.

]
Do you have a photograph of it?

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #893 on: 14 March, 2018, 08:29:02 pm »
Loving the hulk cam.

I just bought a lens bumper for my cheapo EOS lens that's used on my 1100D and by 350D. I reckon the lens is the bit that's most likely to get bashed.

Meanwhile, I've been hankering after a camera body with an extra control dial, so I can alter aperture and shutter speed at once. And I stumbled upon a review of the Nikon D200. And I want one. And they're now cheap on fleabay... cheap enough to invest in Nikon glass too, I think.

« Reply #894 on: 14 March, 2018, 11:26:40 pm »
An almost accidental Tamron SP 500mm f8 mirror lens. Complete with its filter set, paperwork and mini screwdriver.   Playing with it indoors seems to indicate it's not bad. Looking forward to taking it out on a sunny day.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #895 on: 15 March, 2018, 03:12:42 pm »
Not me, but the lad has just taken delivery of an eBay Samyang 14mm f2.8 manual lens (Canon fit). What a cracker, and weighing in at 500g it should be. Can't wait to see some astro shots and lambscapesTM.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #896 on: 15 March, 2018, 03:56:11 pm »
Those wide Samyangs are perfect for Astro stuff.  I have to 10mm f2.8 and 85mm f1.4 and they are great fun.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #897 on: 22 March, 2018, 01:46:18 pm »
Just bought a used radio trigger and some servo flashes to add to the kit.

I don't care for much of the flash photography I see, but sometimes flash is the easiest way to get a sharp image with predictable colour.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #898 on: 02 April, 2018, 02:52:32 pm »

]

Ooh, that silicon sleeve for the camera looks ideal. I may invest in the same for my EOS750D, to protect it while doing macros of fungi etc. 

What have I bought today myself?

Well, while browsing my local camera shop, I saw a rather nice looking  Manfrotto XPRO 3-Way Geared Head. Ideal for landscapes etc, I justified to myself...    Certainly a significant upgrade from my Manfrotto 460MG 3 Way head which I found was tricky to do fine adjustments to pan / tilt to.  So £135 lighter in the wallet, it's now mine!   :thumbsup:

« Reply #899 on: 06 April, 2018, 10:05:15 pm »
I have taken a gamble on a second hand Panasonic lumix DMC FZ7 . I will have a look online for instructions for it as there are none with it .I will put some pictures up when I have sused it out  :)
the slower you go the more you see