Author Topic: The Ski Locker thread  (Read 126926 times)

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
Re: The Ski Locker thread
« Reply #725 on: 04 April, 2021, 12:52:43 pm »
www.snow-forecast.com have just warned me that my subscription is going to run out :-)

« Reply #726 on: 29 September, 2021, 06:33:57 am »
Is it too early? I probably ruined the season by buying a pass to one of the local mountains. The regular one (Cypress) was a total shit show last year, as people couldn't travel and stayed local. The other resorts put a limit/reservation system up, but Cypress went "Come on up, y'all". You had to buy your ticket in advance, but already at 8am there was a 3 hour line-up for parking.
So, I bought a pass to Mt Seymour which will continue running their reservation system on the weekends.
Better yet, my contract runs out end of November and I plan to take December and most of January off and abuse the hell out of my pass.

......which probably means we wont get any snow at all.

« Reply #727 on: 19 October, 2021, 06:45:03 am »
We had an en-famille moment last week when we realised that we were in severe danger of spending a second year at home for Christmas, as if the experience of last year wasn't enough to last. Cue much clicking, we are now on the cusp of either (a) a mega-apartment in Courchevel if some friends can get their shit together and say yes or (b) a first time in Saas Fee. Not _quite_ a first for me as I was there <mumble mumble> years ago, with an early trial version of the current Mrs Ham, who was a Swiss national, we had borrowed the picture postcard chalet of some of her friends, set alone a couple of hundred metres on the slopes (and yes, it did feature on a picture postcard of the resort, which card I still have in that "odd stuff" box). Unfortunately (?), because weather we probably spent more time on indoor sports, we had to dig ourselves out when the storm abated. This combined with generic annodominitus means I don't remember too much. Anyone been there lately?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #728 on: 21 October, 2021, 06:34:48 pm »
First dustings on Lochnagar.

Folklore has it that a good crop of Rowan Berries presages a hard winter, and we've had such a crop.
We shall see.

Sorry about the FB link, it's what Braemar MRT use.

https://www.facebook.com/braemarmrt/posts/4250320128350614

« Reply #729 on: 21 October, 2021, 06:58:35 pm »
Just booked our annual run to the hills. A return to Arabba for the first time in about 18 years. Really really looking forward to showing our friends round.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #730 on: 21 October, 2021, 09:56:46 pm »
Update.

we are now on the cusp of either (a) a mega-apartment in Courchevel if some friends can get their shit together and say yes or

Well, well. Every time I looked at the apartment I thought to myself, that's the expensive end of Courchevel, innit? and, even at the other end, £9k for the Christmas week for a 7 bed apartment is too little. And it was showing as 100% available. Fishy. And there were zero reviews about this chalet. Pescatorial again. I bunged in an enquiry to ask if it was still available, thinking maybe availability just hadn't been updated, back it came swiftly, my booking request had been accepted (oh, and could I please hand over the full rental amount now to secure the rental).

Time to delve.

The renter was declared as the owner of this business renting on behalf of owners, which added a little credibility. Until I discovered that none of the properties on the website had any reviews. Using reverse image search I found the REAL chalet renters. Chalet Gentiane, not Belvedere.

Have a guess how much the weekly rent for it is - and of course it is unavailable having been rented for the peak weeks - before you click. Go on, the rent on the scam site is £9,000.

(click to show/hide)

I found alternative sources for some other of the photos on the Bellgold  Holiday website and I reported the dirty scammer to the site I found it on, but it still seems up.

Bullet dodged.

Saas Fee, here we come, wheeeeeeee!

« Reply #731 on: 22 October, 2021, 10:52:59 am »
Even in a house of that size I cannot think of 14 people I would want to spend a whole week cooped up with!

Feanor

« Reply #732 on: 03 November, 2021, 12:21:14 pm »
Winter arrives early in the Cairngorms.
The first flurries of snow have already been and gone, a light dusting of fine delicate powder which flitted on the high ground like a butterfly.

New kit arrives in anticipation of the forthcoming season.
The workbenches are cleared of cycling paraphernalia.
The 'Atelier de Ski Ron' is open early this season.

These touring skis and bindings together cost more than some package holidays.
Most home ski techs do not have the fancy jigs to position the bindings, and rely on paper templates. This is just as good, but more time-consuming and fiddly.

Measure twice, drill once.

Round up all the stuffs... by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Drilling templates fitted by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Measure twice, drill once! by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

All done! by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

« Reply #733 on: 03 November, 2021, 12:57:18 pm »
Nice work. I completely get that you needed a pillar drill for this.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #734 on: 03 November, 2021, 01:18:57 pm »
Very nice work (and skis), I also like your warning sticker ;)

In separate news the "clickstay" site have removed all the scammers properties from their site, but his own site remains up. Unsurprisingly, there is no response from the fraud squad in response to my complaint.

« Reply #735 on: 28 November, 2021, 08:11:53 pm »

Bugger

You are eligible to enter Switzerland for any travel purpose if you are fully vaccinated and can show adequate proof (detailed below). From 27 November 2021, in addition to the requirements below, you must show a negative COVID-19 test result (PCR or antigen) and self-quarantine for 10 days.This follows the addition of the UK to the Swiss Federal Office of Health’s list of countries with a variant of concern. More detail is available on the Swiss Federal Office of Health’s website.

From 27 November, travellers arriving in Switzerland from the UK who wish to transit to another country will need to self-quarantine in Switzerland for 10 days.

« Reply #736 on: 03 December, 2021, 04:10:21 pm »

Bugger

You are eligible to enter Switzerland for any travel purpose if you are fully vaccinated and can show adequate proof (detailed below). From 27 November 2021, in addition to the requirements below, you must show a negative COVID-19 test result (PCR or antigen) and self-quarantine for 10 days.This follows the addition of the UK to the Swiss Federal Office of Health’s list of countries with a variant of concern. More detail is available on the Swiss Federal Office of Health’s website.

From 27 November, travellers arriving in Switzerland from the UK who wish to transit to another country will need to self-quarantine in Switzerland for 10 days.

And now...... it's on again! Whoop whoop!

« Reply #737 on: 05 December, 2021, 11:30:41 am »
Lots of snow in Val Thorens apparently.

Mini was texting me yesterday for instructions as the coach drivers were struggling to work out how to get the chains on.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #738 on: 05 December, 2021, 12:30:27 pm »

Feanor

« Reply #739 on: 05 December, 2021, 02:56:20 pm »
A lot of snow at Cairngorm yesterday.

A friend set off early, to join Inverness Backcountry Snowsports Club for a start of season bash from the Cairngorm car park.
By the time they arrived, the gates at Glenmore Lodge had been closed, and they were faced with a very long hike up.
This was vetoed, and the trip was abandoned.

Those who arrived earlier and made it up to the car park reported deep fresh snow, high winds, and zero viz.
They didn't stay out long.  Pretty much a normal Cairngorm day out, then.

Mountain rescue saying their were several avalanches in Coire An t-Sneachda, and I think a couple of shouts.

« Reply #740 on: 18 December, 2021, 06:14:49 am »
Well,  our initial plan with Miss Ham and family flying and us driving with all the gear has clearly fallen by the wayside, although Mrs Ham who doesn't want to fly was even looking at Hull->Zebrugge->Saas Fee. Instead, we are all flying together. And to avoid any further issues, what is more, we're all doing it tomorrow, we have the apartment at a good rate for the extra week. PCR tests, done! We're off!

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #741 on: 18 December, 2021, 10:40:35 am »
...Hull->Zebrugge...

I thought that was dead.

« Reply #742 on: 18 December, 2021, 10:58:52 am »
I probably meant Hull -> Rotterdam, I wasn't that interested for some obscure reason

« Reply #743 on: 31 December, 2021, 08:59:49 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvwOJSHSe5I&t=8s

Summit Fever - The FIFTY | Mt. St. Elias - Climbing & Skiing a Mythical Mountain

Yikes!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #744 on: 21 January, 2022, 01:14:25 pm »
I've been randomly clicking on some of Cody Townsend's stuff (as linked ^^^), as ever Mr Tube has been serving me up with random ski videos too, which I've mostly enjoyed.

I clicked on "Zermatt Ski Instructors Mucking About" and while most of it was run of the mill, this trick impressed me, and I haven't seen that done before.

Feanor

« Reply #745 on: 22 February, 2022, 05:24:09 pm »
Cheeky little Micro-Tour at Glenshee today.
I was literally blown off my feet whilst transitioning to downhill mode at the summit of Càrn Aosda.

Glenshee Micro Tour by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Glenshee Micro Tour by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

https://www.strava.com/activities/6721121123

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #746 on: 23 February, 2022, 07:39:50 pm »
I was thinking to visit the highlands (I am from Cardiff) to fill in my skiing thirst. However my brother booked a holiday in Tignes at the end of March. It is usually my job to book ski holidays. I had no intention of visiting foreign lands during Covid. I had already written this year off. So some day next month I will service my skis.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #747 on: 03 March, 2022, 04:24:14 pm »
Here is something to (not really) worry about.  Most skis that are currently sold are made by Fisher's mega ski factory in Ukraine. This is now inaccessible so will there be shortage of new skis to buy or hire next year.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #748 on: 03 March, 2022, 08:23:43 pm »
The Fischer plant in Ukraine makes Fischer skis obviously, Scott, Rossignol, Dynastar, Alpina and others.
Salomon is made by Atomic in Austria.
Some premium Dynastar and Rossignol skis are still made in Salanches near Chamonix.
Elan is made Slovenia.
The swiss companies are still at home.

« Reply #749 on: 20 March, 2022, 08:27:00 pm »
Just back from a week in Arabba. Our first time there in 19 years. The central bit of the town is virtually unchanged amazingly. There's still a barn or two within a stone's throw.

Forgotten how stunning the Dolomites are, and had a lot of fun introducing a couple of our friends who have never skied there before to the delights of both the enormous size of the entire area and the local speciality, the bombardino.

Despite trying to get as far as we could each day and skiing ourselves to near exhaustion, we only managed to ski five of the twelve areas. They claim there are 1200km of piste.

They've had virtually no snow for at least a month and the fact that we could ski at all on pistes in amazingly good condition is a testament to how good their snow-making is. The lift from Passo Pordoi up to the Sella Massif wasn't open. The run from the top there down the front face was completely snowless. When things warm up they will be in trouble though. This curtailed any thought of getting off the piste (which was mostly grass), so we'll have to go back next year. Last time we were there there was 8m of snow on the top peak (Marmolada) so we know what it can be like.

To add to the excitement it wasn't half-term holidays week so there was hardly anyone there. Every day included having an entire hillside to ourselves at some point.

Slightly knackered now after driving back and spending the night in Hotel Skoda by the side of an autobahn in Germany somewhere.
Rust never sleeps