Author Topic: A random thread for cycling things that don't really warrant their own thread  (Read 107335 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Cycling meets football. And elephants...
Me-Triumphantly: "I climbed non-stop from Harohalli to Jigani, and without even using the Granny Gears!"
Wife: "So you are finally a Cycling Yogi?"
Me: "No, it is the hand of God."
W: "Midlife crisis turning you into a Religious nut, or a football fan?"
Me: "Actually God-Curry's men flattened the climbs in improving the road for truckers."
Eavesdropping Eco-activist son: "What about the Elephants?"
Me-Flippantly: "I did not see any."
https://paragrinations.blogspot.com/2021/10/cycling-elephants-and-fishy-fables.html
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

(click to show/hide)
Driving out earlier, couple of cyclists went across in front of me at a junction so following them. The lady had some problem with her bike and had to stop. Problem wad the guy in front didn't notice even when she shouted which we heard in the car

We were a little way back as I'd had to wait to go past her before she moved off road and he was moving at a decent pace so we had the fun of following him still indicating pot holes etc not realising there was no one behind him. We caught him at thr lights and told him

I have just fitted the "randonneuse" with full lighting off the hub. The rear light is a fairly cheap Trelock with a standlight (it seems to be marked for a bottle dynamo and has no switch but the switch on the front does everything which suits me).
I used the lights to go to the boulangerie this morning. I've never had a standlight before and was expecting it to last about 30 seconds. It stayed on all the time I was in the queue outside and afterwards in the shop. I didn't time it but it was a good long time. I was surprised that no-one mentioned that I had left my lights on! I was well impressed with the light!

Obviously the Trelock would not be the recommendation for people on station platforms. I was looking at it and thinking that a little fabric cover would be the answer to that problem.

Cudzoziemiec

Some dyno rears from B&M and maybe other manufacturers have a capacitor discharge switch to turn the standlight off in that situation. I don't think any have an actual on/off switch though cos as you say that's all done at the front.

Cudzoziemiec

Major Taylor has for some reason popped up on the BBC.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/59063160

The classic photo:

Marshall 'Major' Taylor was a trailblazing African American sportsman. He was in New York that day to take part in a race they most definitely don't run now: the six-day endurance event.
Well, kind of.

Bah, I've bought a temporary replacement wheel to stand in for a nexus8 hub geared wheel. Just a cheapy singlespeed wheel. 24" for my Dahon folder. Now I'd clocked that the OLN is a bit too big (135mm wheel vs 130-131 frame) but that's easy, there's a steel spacer that I can take 4 or 5mm off with the lathe at work tomorrow. However I hadn't realised/accounted for the fact that it seems the nexus sprocket sits much more outboard than the singlespeed one.

How far out does a singlespeed chainline need to be before it causes problems?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
From COP26 today, this picture popped up in my feed.

Look at the smile on this wee one :)

https://twitter.com/magnatom/status/1456960771636748289

Now that made me smile and love cycling just wee bit more :)

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

I felt as though I should check the date when I saw Alpkit advertising its gravel bike... with flat bars and suspension.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I felt as though I should check the date when I saw Alpkit advertising its gravel bike... with flat bars and suspension.

And so it came to pass that the Molehill Bike was born.

(I just went to look and broke the Alpkit website.   :-[)

Cudzoziemiec

I'm waiting for the urban gravel bike, with North Road bars, a sprung saddle, mudguards, hub gears, full chain guard...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Wow!! Bikes are good.  New Zealand politician Julie Anne Genter cycles to hospital to give birth https://t.co/59Ug6fruAg

https://twitter.com/Gary_Fisher/status/1464910031803994113

As you travel from Whitechapel to Stratford along the A11, just before Bow Flyover the road divides into two, forming a dual carriageway.
There is a church, Bow Church, in the centre reservation.
In front of the church there is a statue of William Gladstone.
The statue has red hands (you can check this on Streetview).

The story behind this is that back in 1870…..something, William Gladstone wanted to put a tax on matches.
This caused outcry and much panic buying of matches amongst the population as this was the only means by which people had to light fires.
Bryant, of Bryant & May the match makers who had their factory adjacent to what is now the north portal to the Blackwall Tunnel, was equally outraged as this would mean a cut in his profit margins.
Eventually, Gladstone elected to not impose the tax on matches.

Bryant was so delighted with this decision, that he decided to honour Gladstone by paying to have a statue of him cast in bronze, and placed at the location where it is today.
Only Bryant didn’t pay for the statue.
What he did was he stopped one shilling from each of the girl’s and women’s wages who worked for him, to pay for the statue.
I can only guess that in 1870 one shilling would’ve been a significant amount of money.

Needless to say that this wasn’t well recieved by the women who worked for him.
On the day the statue was unveiled, a number of them attended the ceremony.
They cut their arms and bled onto the plinth on which the statue was erected.

To this day, Gladstone statue’s hands remain painted red.
The council clean off the red paint periodically.
The hands get re-painted again in red..
~150 years on from the event.

I find that extraordinary.
I’ll bet it isn’t a man wielding the paint brush.

Though the skimming of the women's wages may have been an urban myth:

https://romanroadlondon.com/red-hands-william-gladstone-statue/

Cudzoziemiec

The struggle for workers’ rights that raged around the statue has long since been won.
No victory is ever permanent.

Last June/July I ordered online a Rixen Kaul nipple kit for a bar bag extender from Swinnerton cycles (one of the few providers that carry the bits in stock). After it had not turned up after some days I contacted them and they duly posted out the next day. Today, December 21st,  I have received the same order again. How bizarre! I have emailed them to point this out as their phone is not being answered. They need to check their systems I think.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
I rode past that church almost daily for at least seven years and never noticed WE Gladstone at all.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Megavalanche.

This possibly deserves it's own "who the fuck would do this stuff" thread.

Might be bikes, but it's carnage, for eg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZWU9I30Gxg

Annual event. People do it more than once.

Cudzoziemiec

I think that belongs in the "Jamais en million ans" thread.

Just wow.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
that's just a big weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm rather disappointed that the person under the camera didn't go weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Cudzoziemiec

I always thought that joyriding meant nicking cars and taking them for a spin, often when drunk. It was what some of the wayward lads did on the Chingford Hall council estate where I grew up. So, I was surprised when the Waltham Forest newsletter reported a different kind of joyriding: a cycling group that is free, for women, and that loans bikes to the members who need them. It has grown since its inception, but JoyRiders started right here in my borough where we have an infrastructure of 27km of cycle paths, known as Mini Holland.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2022/jan/15/how-weekly-bike-rides-with-a-group-of-supportive-women-showed-me-a-route-to-joy

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
My cousin shared a pic on fb this morning asking if anyone could identify the strange valve on her bike tyre, which she was finding impossible to pump up.

It was just a standard Presta valve, but obviously she's used to only seeing Schrader valves. I pointed out that she'd need a different pump. But then I got to wondering why she has found herself with one tyre with a different kind of valve...

Turns out her bike is a Brompton, and the bike shop have recently replaced the tube. FFS. I've told her to take it back to the shop and tell them to put the right kind of tube in.

Looking forward to her next post of the bike with a Dunlop tube fitted!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
FWIW the Brompton-issue pump has a reversible thingy and works fine with Presta valves.

(I run Presta on my Brompton so all my bikes use can use the same pumps.  Of course, nobody wants two different valves on the same bike.  Or three, if you're a trike rider.)

Cudzoziemiec

You could even get four on a bike: eg Presta on the front, Schrader on the back, two spares, one of which is Dunlop, the other Woods. (I'm never quite sure if Dunlop and Woods are actually different... )

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
FWIW the Brompton-issue pump has a reversible thingy and works fine with Presta valves.

Oh god, the Brompton-issue pump... I think I binned mine, and use something decent instead. (Mine was an ancient model - current versions may be better.)

I run Presta on my Brompton

Do you use any form of adapter/shim around the valve hole?
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."