Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400786 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2425 on: 10 May, 2021, 08:02:13 am »
half marathon yesterday at a steady 5min pace, it was a bit hot at noon. sore calves today, joints and tendons seem fine.

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2426 on: 19 May, 2021, 10:07:23 am »
Well done Zigzag, that's a decent time for a half.  My PB is around 1 hr 58 so I'd be well chuffed if I did it at your speed.

Completed another long trail run last Sat - 18 miles in just over 3 hours - through Kingsclere and across the top of Watership down, past Ladle Hill and down toward the A34, and back home.  Legs were a bit tight but have done a couple of shorter runs since and all seems good.
Like CrazyEnglishTriathlete, I have now entered the Hampshire Hoppit trail marathon in June.  Tough one for a first marathon, and I'll definitely be walking the hill shortly before the finish.  I tried running up it after 5 miles of my run last Sat and it's definitely walking territory for me.   Planning to run a half-m training run this weekend to round off about 27 miles for the week hopefully.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2427 on: 12 June, 2021, 07:05:39 pm »
Final training run before the Hoppit today, used my favourite 17-mile route to Five Lanes End and up on to Weston Common - effectively doing a circuit around Humbly Grove, but extended it to 30km by traversing from Tunworth to Black Dam via Hackwood Park.  Legs were getting tight at the end but managed it under 5min/km - so hopefully next week will go well.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2428 on: 16 June, 2021, 08:03:45 am »
out the door at 5am to avoid heat, but it was still too warm for running. i think i'll postpone running to early autumn, or whenever the temperature drops to a more comfortable 10-15'c.

half marathon at maf pace today.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2429 on: 17 June, 2021, 10:49:13 am »
Work project that would have required weekend working has delayed - so it's all on for the Hampshire Hoppit Marathon at the weekend.  13 - 17 degrees and showers, so much more civilised than it could have been.  Will be my first marathon since August 2018 - having developed some foot problems the subsequent winter.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2430 on: 18 June, 2021, 09:03:23 pm »
Work project that would have required weekend working has delayed - so it's all on for the Hampshire Hoppit Marathon at the weekend.  13 - 17 degrees and showers, so much more civilised than it could have been.  Will be my first marathon since August 2018 - having developed some foot problems the subsequent winter.

best of luck on sunday, looks like a fun event - i've missed racing in a mass event!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2431 on: 20 June, 2021, 09:43:25 pm »
really enjoyed the Hampshire Hoppit Marathon today.  The only disappointment was the fog in the early stages that limited the views, but it did keep the temperatures sensible all the way through.  Having studied the route, realised that 2/3 of the climbing was in the second half and so paced myself accordingly.  It didn't stop the endless hills up to Hannington sapping my strength before the final kick up Watership Down, but ended up pretty much exactly on my target time.

The reusable plastic collapsible cups were great - cut down hugely on waste.  Signposting and marshalling were clear and there was lots of encouragement along the route.  More than anything else, it was good to do a big organised event again, having not done anything other than the club organised hill climb since 2019.  That makes marathon #14, but the first one for three years - all thanks to the special inserts that reduce the pounding on my damaged toes.  I think it will be less than three years to the next marathon.

« Reply #2432 on: 21 June, 2021, 11:57:32 am »
Another one who enjoyed the Hampshire Hoppit marathon and I agree on CET's points.  Great organisation and route.  And the last 5 miles were hilly torture.  Garmin reckoned I ran 26.6 (and I use the word "ran" loosely  ::-) )  Finished in 4:54 which was ahead of my expectations.  First marathon in the bag.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2433 on: 21 June, 2021, 09:06:17 pm »
Another one who enjoyed the Hampshire Hoppit marathon and I agree on CET's points.  Great organisation and route.  And the last 5 miles were hilly torture.  Garmin reckoned I ran 26.6 (and I use the word "ran" loosely  ::-) )  Finished in 4:54 which was ahead of my expectations.  First marathon in the bag.

Well done.  I've had the benefit of a few more in the past - the Clarendon Marathon - which goes from Salisbury to Winchester - has less hills, so you might find that a good one.  However, when I ran it, I got caught up with the faster starts in the half-marathon wanting to get past me at about 14 miles, which did my legs in.  I've done a couple in Sussex - the Sussex Coast and the Beach Head - both of which take in Beachy Head and Seven Sisters and are a bit harder than the Hoppit. 

On the Hoppit, the overlap worked alright for me, I was overtaking slower half-marathon runners.  Although my heart sank when I realised I didn't go the same way up the final hill as they did.  I used MapMyRun, which told me I ran 42.2km so not far off.  I set it so it gives me a voice pace every kilometre, which I can use as an indicator of pace (am I going too hard).   My splits (1:44 for the first half, 2:01 for the second) might have suggested I did go off too hard, but there was a lot more climbing in the second half, and my hamstrings always tighten up and slow me down towards the end, so on reflection I probably got it just right (for a change). 

Will probably do another trail marathon before the year is out, but the focus now will be on the bike - as I'm going to have a go at inaugurating my Just off to Whitchurch perm in September 

« Reply #2434 on: 03 July, 2021, 07:10:51 pm »
Racing has pretty much only just returned in Wales, as the limit to 30 people outside was only release a few weeks ago. There aren't a lot of events happening near me, so although I'd hoped to ease back in with some nice 5 km trails, my first race today was a 9.5km fell AS category fell race (A category is the steepest category - minimum 50m incline per km). The actual climb was 700m, and I was fairly pleased with my uphill section. Unfortunately, I'm a terrible descender, particularly on rock, so I wasn't very much faster downhill than up. It was also completely pea soup at the top, so I made some very poor route choices, not knowing the course. Totally knackered. Very much Type 2 fun.

« Reply #2435 on: 03 July, 2021, 08:13:49 pm »
Just managed to start running again after stopping in early March. Did 2 mile, 3 mile testers last weekend, then a flattish 6 miler on thursday and a hilly 8 mile trail run today. Had to ask my beloved to untie my shoes after but have spent the afternoon rehydrating with beer and feel great now  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2436 on: 10 July, 2021, 02:11:17 pm »
Another fell race this weekend. Today's was an AM race - A rated ascent (750m) and medium distance at 13km. That was seriously hard. A fair amount was truly runnable (fitness allowing!), but we just seemed to be going uphill for about 65% of the race (the finish was 800m of 20% descent on bracken followed by 1km of 25% descent on tarmac). I think that's the first time I've ever had a race where I've been in sight of the finish and not been sure I'd be able to run to it.  There's something weird about running down steep hills and finding that when it flattens out that your legs have turned jelly and won't operate properly. I ended up in a bog up to my knees, but I think about 25% of the field did that too.

« Reply #2437 on: 26 July, 2021, 10:57:53 am »
After being drafted in to cover a COVID case as a substitute team-mate for Endure 24 Reading this weekend, the whole team withdrew after another buddy got "pinged" and had to self-isolate, and two more reported injury niggles.  That left just two of us and a crappy weather forecast.  The event organiser (rightly) wouldn't allow deferral to next year at such short notice so I found myself with the weekend free and reasonable fitness and instead I ran (ran/walked) the 33.5 miles of the Basingstoke Canal instead in 6 hours 43 mins. Slower than I wanted but it was warm and I lost 10 minutes on a detour to a shop for some supplies.  Train back to Basingstoke at the end from West Byfleet to round off an excellent afternoon's adventure.  Legs a bit stiff and tired but seem pretty ship shape which is excellent news. 

I seem to recall CrazyEnglishTriathlete ran the canal a few years back in...5ish hours?  Quicker than me I know that!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2438 on: 28 July, 2021, 10:34:52 pm »
I've been planning to run the Basingstoke Canal but have never got around to it.  Ran the Hoppit instead.  5 hours would be my target time, but its really hard to guess what it will be like.  I'd be interested to know how you dealt with the constant flat - as opposed to rolling terrain that gives a change of pace.

« Reply #2439 on: 29 July, 2021, 10:23:20 pm »
I managed the constant flat by being crap enough to need to run/walk the last 20 miles so the change of stride/pace gave some variety to the legs. I ran the first half marathon, then had a decent feed as I walked (some solid food because Tailwind and gels get sickly after a bit). After that I walked a chunk of each mile, and by halfway I’d settled into a run half a mile/walk half a mile routine which I kept up to the end.

The first couple of miles from Pennybridge do undulate a fair bit. There is a permissive towpath along that first section which isn’t shown on the OS map although it does dive off across some fields for a short distance. From Up Nately it is mostly stony towpath for the next 10-15 miles.  As it progresses you get more tarmac sections (Woking onward). The flight of locks at Deepcut gives some respite as there is a small drop after each lock. Despite the limited variety in elevation, the scenery changes enough to keep it interesting.  I thought the flat would kill the legs but I recovered really well and was back out for a five mile trail run three days later.

If you’re planning a decent time I suggest a recce from Pennybridge to Up Nately is worth while before hand. Otherwise it’s a navigational doddle. Good luck!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2440 on: 03 August, 2021, 12:06:44 pm »
I'm planning to run it uphill!

The Greywell section back is local routes for me so have navigated them before.  Psychologically it might be hard running around Bellevue Road rather than the shorter Crown Lane.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2441 on: 20 November, 2021, 08:49:22 am »
I've only gone and entered a half marathon, cambridge, next march so plenty of time to prep.

This week, 7km at my previous HM PB pace left me absolutely smashed, I might have held it for another 3km possibly. Last night 8k at a steadier 5:30 per km. Lots of work to do, but I'll definitely get round as long as my feet hold up.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2442 on: 23 November, 2021, 02:57:43 pm »
This thread seems to have somewhat merged with Beardy's running log so I'm never sure where to post...

Since last time, I completed the 38 mile Downslink Ultra in October and am now in training for the Country 2 Capital 43 mile ultra in early January.  At some point this summer I also broke my half-marathon PB which now stands at 1:52 and a bit.  Happy to still be hitting new targets in my early 50's :thumbsup:  Not much cycling being done though :facepalm:

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2443 on: 04 March, 2022, 08:45:09 am »
Posting here as Beardy's log is more about getting to 5k and my focus is getting to 50k.  Was planning to start running on 1 Feb, but Covid isolation and an Audax event got in the way, so only started last Thursday.  I'm normally cautious after starting back from a break, but risked a 12.5k (7.5 mile) muddy bash in awful weather on 24th Feb and followed in up with a 14.5k (9 mile) not quite so muddy but much darker run based on the 12.5k with an extension on Monday.  Woke up really early (stress has its benefits) this morning and decided to give my easier half-marathon route in the dark.  Got round fine, and the comforting fact was that on the lit/tarmac bits my speed wasn't too far down on last year, where I've been going really slow is navigating boggy ground by head torch.  The next step up will be my 29k route, but not quite sure when I will be able to slot that in.  Looking forward to running (a) in the daylight and (b) on ground which is not a quagmire.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2444 on: 05 March, 2022, 11:53:54 am »
Hampshire Hoppit entered as I enjoyed it so much last year.  So that's two trail marathons entered now, the Beachy Head being the other one.

ElyDave

« Reply #2445 on: 05 March, 2022, 07:11:45 pm »
Cambridge half tomorrow, it might not be pretty, but I know I've done enough to get me round.  Went up to 14km in training and general fitness should do the rest.  With the current home/caresr/ local authority situation, getting the longer runs in has been tricky

ElyDave

« Reply #2446 on: 07 March, 2022, 06:16:53 am »
Cambridge Half Marathon yesterday, plan was for 1:50-1:55 target, decided to follow the 1:45 pacemaker from the gun, stayed with him for about 5-6km and then dropped back a bit, good push in the last 4km and I came in with a chip time  of 1:46:39, previous PB was 1:42:24 in 2011 so I've lost about 20s per year.

Achilles not too bad today, I wonder if I'll feel it tomorrow.

That late effort played havoc with my blood sugar though, adrenaline is not always your friend

« Reply #2447 on: 07 March, 2022, 08:40:13 am »
Nice one Dave.  👍

I might even put Cambridge Half into my plan for next March if it happens again.  I'll be way back in your wake but that is not really the point.

ElyDave

« Reply #2448 on: 07 March, 2022, 08:08:57 pm »
Thanks PB, yesterday was not a bad day for it nice and cool, but could equally be typical early march wind and rain.

How do you typically run races these days, is your vision good enough to run solo, or do you use a guide?

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #2449 on: 16 March, 2022, 09:27:41 am »
Discovered today that running on glutinous mud in the dark 4 days after a very hilly 300k was not conducive to a good performance.  But I got out, got the legs working, and that should allow me to have a go at my 17-mile standard route next week.