Author Topic: What was the last play you watched?  (Read 46528 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: What was the last play you watched?
« Reply #125 on: 27 January, 2022, 01:11:04 am »
Dr Semmelweis

Mark Rylance in a dark and moving play about a medical pioneer. A production to draw you in, thought provoking and gripping.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #126 on: 27 January, 2022, 08:50:24 am »
Die Eroberung vom Hohen Knaudl, in Schwäbisch dialect, in rhyme, around 35 years ago.  Memorable line "Ach halt dei' Maul, du alte Schraube".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #127 on: 27 January, 2022, 09:07:15 am »
Quiz, by James Graham - about the winner of Who Wants to be a Millionaire who was accused and found guilty of cheating.  Utterly gripping, the audience participation was fascinating, as you saw how different accounts changed the audience's perception

.  Like This House, which we also saw at the Minverva in Chichester a year or so before.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #128 on: 28 April, 2022, 04:32:10 pm »
The Meaning of Zong

A play about one of the lowest points of the transatlantic human trafficking 'trade'. Enlightening and dark, inventive and raw. Not perfect, but watchable and thought provoking.

We had the benefit of a talk afterwards, by the writer, Director, local activists and members of the cast.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #129 on: 04 May, 2022, 02:49:21 pm »
Well, it won't be Tim Foley's Electric Rosary tomorrow at the Royal Exchange Manchester.
I'm still testing sodding positive.
I'm very pissed off as I've been looking forward to this for ages.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #130 on: 08 May, 2022, 07:45:33 am »
Well, it won't be Tim Foley's Electric Rosary tomorrow at the Royal Exchange Manchester.
I'm still testing sodding positive.
I'm very pissed off as I've been looking forward to this for ages.

FTFM

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #131 on: 21 May, 2022, 04:44:53 pm »
Beryl, at Oldham Colliseum, amazing show!

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #132 on: 21 May, 2022, 06:53:43 pm »

Ooh. Is that touring again?
I have seen it with #1 son, but I'd love see it again with Mrs B.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #133 on: 21 May, 2022, 10:01:06 pm »
The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde at Greenwich Theatre.  A four-hander but with one actor playing the title character only. Surprisingly good.

Got tickets for To Kill a Mockingbird next month  :thumbsup:
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Basil

• Help me!
« Reply #134 on: 21 May, 2022, 10:19:00 pm »

Ooh. Is that touring again?
I have seen it with #1 son, but I'd love see it again with Mrs B.

Checks.
Not coming anywhere near Wales.  Poo.

« Reply #135 on: 27 May, 2022, 12:08:04 am »
I'm just back from "As You Like It" , Northern Broadsides at the Liverpool Playhouse. 

Wonderful fun, EM Williams* as Rosalind and Isobel Coward as Celia are brilliant, Joe Morrow hilarious as Touchstone.   

2 of the cast ill with Covid,  the replacements had less than 24 hrs to prepare & were reading from scripts.

It's on tour.  A good use of 3 hours of your life.  https://www.northern-broadsides.co.uk/shows/as-you-like-it/

*https://queercreatives.wordpress.com/2021/02/13/interview-actor-em-williams-on-empathy-equality-monitoring-and-discovering-who-your-characters-are/

https://alwaystimefortheatre.com/2022/03/24/review-northern-broadsides-as-you-like-it/

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pgPHRuId0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTu_wXDgpyE

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #136 on: 30 May, 2022, 09:54:18 am »
Henry VI part 3 at Stratford, as a birthday present. Very battle-y. Eschewed the option of Part 2 in the afternoon and 3 in the evening - 6 hours' worth would have been too much. I hadn't realized that the Henry VIs + Richard III tetralogy are the first 4 in the canon.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #137 on: 30 May, 2022, 10:59:06 am »
(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #138 on: 30 May, 2022, 11:31:09 am »
Which reminds me of the handy aide-memoir for what happened to the 6 wives of Henry VIII

Died, died, died, died, died died.

« Reply #139 on: 26 July, 2022, 10:51:49 pm »
Feeling the need for some midweek entertainment I booked a ticket for a live broadcast of "Prima Facie" from the Harold Pinter theatre, without reading what it was about or reading the reviews.....      Well ,  that was an intense evening.   As I'm pretty much an apprentice Wowbagger when it comes to popular culture I'd not seen Jodie Comer in anything previously.  She's bloody good.   

https://www.londontheatre.co.uk/reviews/prima-facie-review-harold-pinter-theatre-jodie-comer

Interestingly I was the only bloke in the (rather small) Liverpool audience. 

« Reply #140 on: 09 October, 2022, 01:13:22 pm »
I've had a theatrical fortnight!   

Last week was "A Midsummer Nights Dream" at the fantastic new Shakespeare North Playhouse in Prescot.  An enjoyable performance in a wonderful new venue.  I just hope they get the audience numbers to make it viable.  Prescot isn't exactly a cultural hub..... (I'm from down the road in Huyton). 

https://www.northernsoul.me.uk/theatre-midsummer-nights-dream-shakespeare-north/

https://www.thereviewshub.com/a-midsummer-nights-dream-shakespeare-north-playhouse-prescot/

Friday night saw me at Liverpool's Epstein Theatre for a decently done Macbeth,  lots of school aged kids & drama students in the audience.  Some problems with the electrics & some unwell cast members meant a very long interval  though.

Last night was "Othello" at the Playhouse.  A modern dress performance with the cast done up as a gang of scallies & a loud soundtrack.  It worked very well though & one moment had audible gasps of horror from the audience. 

https://www.artscityliverpool.com/single-post/review-othello-at-liverpool-playhouse

https://www.thereviewshub.com/othello-liverpool-playhouse-2/

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #141 on: 09 October, 2022, 09:41:12 pm »
Don quixote, man of Clackmannanshire.
Rather amusing retelling based in, by my reckoning menstrie, although it's a bloody long run from the nearest asda.

On at Dundee rep till mid week then moves to Perth I believe.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #142 on: 29 October, 2022, 08:49:48 pm »
Two this week.

First, The Crucible at the National Theatre. I'd not seen it before so went with an open mind. It was an emotionally charged performance; not a moment of light relief. The young actors (playing the girls affected by the hysteria) were excellent, especially when providing the choral backdrop. Some of the adults were good but I felt that several delivered their lines rather than inhabiting their parts. Unfortunately, the actor playing Harris, the priest, reminded me too much of Father Ted to have the desired impact that the character should have done. Overall, maybe 7/10.

By contrast, Get Up, Stand Up ("the Bob Marley Musical") was a huge disappointment. It avoided the 'Mamma Mia' route of shoehorning a bunch of songs into an improbably narrative but failed dismally to tell the genuinely engaging story of Marley's life in a way that would be coherent to anyone who didn't already know it well. It was a shame as the vocal performances were excellent - in particular, a low-tempo interpretation of 'No Woman, No Cry' and a superb solo performance of 'Redemption Song' - but the overall feeling was of seeing a tribute band with a bit of acting thrown in for good measure. 2/10
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #143 on: 30 December, 2022, 03:10:25 pm »
Went to the NT on Wednesday to see Kerry Jackson - wife and son very kindly organised it as a birthday treat for me.

Didn't know anything about it beforehand, which is probably just as well - it's had terrible reviews.

It really isn't a great play - rather shallow with an unsatisfactory ending - but it did make me laugh several times and Fay Ripley is good. Excellent set, too. And it was so nice to have a family outing to a real proper theatre to see a real proper play for the first time in well over three years that I had a great time.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #144 on: 13 June, 2023, 01:33:23 pm »
Anna Karenina at the Bristol Old Vic.

A reimagined look at this weighty novel, with a sparse but effective staging, and performances that were mostly engaging and intense. This had been at the Lyceum in Edinburgh, not sure if it is going to go on to other theatres.

« Reply #145 on: 06 July, 2023, 11:52:40 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2023/jul/05/chester-mystery-plays-good-v-evil-parables-elemental

https://northwestend.com/the-chester-mystery-plays-chester-cathedral/

I saw this at the weekend & thought it was excellent, performed by mostly amateurs with a few professional actors for the prominent roles. 

In sadder theatrical news Liverpool's Epstein theatre has closed after the council withdrew funding :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-66067155

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #146 on: 23 July, 2023, 06:14:59 am »
Glory Ride (Charing Cross Theatre) , "medals are not pinned to the chest but to the soul". A musical about Gino Bartali's work helping to save children in fascist Italy.

Tremendous, best musical ever!

« Reply #147 on: 23 July, 2023, 11:46:53 am »
The Comedy of Errors.
Outdoor performance at Montacute House on Friday evening.
The company was the Pantaloons, of whom there are four in any one performance.
As the play has as its main characters two pairs of identical twins, things get a little complicated at times.
In fact, it was quite easy to follow who was who, with two chaps playing all four twins, and two women playing all the other characters.
Very funny. Quite silly in places. Recommended.

"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #148 on: 26 July, 2023, 11:07:41 am »
Ralph Fiennes is playing Macbeth in Liverpool later this year. You have to register to book tickets, then queue .....     It won't even let me register.     Bloody scalpers will have them on Ebay by tonight.  >:(

« Reply #149 on: 26 July, 2023, 06:10:32 pm »
I don't get the feeling this is one the scalpers will be making too much out of - there are still plenty of tickets available for the production in London, and that's been on sale for weeks