Author Topic: Astigmatism  (Read 998 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Astigmatism
« on: 25 September, 2012, 08:55:27 am »
Astigmatism runs in my family. My aunt has had such severe astigmatism since 1926 that she has worn thick glasses or contact lenses in both eyes up to 1960, when a failed operation for a detached retina left her blind in one eye. At the age of 93, she has been registered blind for some years and has very little useful vision left in the "good" eye.

My daughter has almost no useful vision in her left eye, but the right is close to normal. Her astigmatism was diagnosed quite early - about 4 - but glasses and patching her eye had no useful effect.

We noticed a difference in her daughter's eyes quite early on, at about 1, and I immediately suspected that she had a problem there. However, I am aware that during the first three years of life the eyeballs can change shape quite significantly and I haven't noticed any difference between Martha's eyes in recent months (she was 2 in June).

Question 1. Is it possible to carry out an accurate diagnosis in a child so young?

Question 2. If astigmatism is diagnosed, will there be any benefit in starting treatment as early as this?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Astigmatism
« Reply #1 on: 25 September, 2012, 10:03:32 am »
I am not an eye expert!
I think Martha should see one.
Modern ophthalmic equipment can get a good approximation of refractive errors without any input from the subject; the problem can be co-operation and keeping the child's eyes open.
AIUI correction of visual problems is always worthwhile though the main neural visual pathways form before the first birthday.
Has anyone noticed any behavior that might indicate a sight problem? Does she try to close or cover one eye or tilt her head?
You are creative enough and Martha sounds engaging enough for it to be possible for you to test her sight by inventing some 'games'.

Re: Astigmatism
« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2012, 08:57:27 am »
My Astigmatism was diagnosed when I was 4 - over half a century ago! So I've little doubt it's possible these days.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)