Author Topic: Turbo trainer or gym membership  (Read 1298 times)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
Turbo trainer or gym membership
« on: 10 April, 2013, 11:01:13 pm »
hmm. after a long and sedentary winter i need to do something to get back in shape, and the sooner the better. i share the same lack of mojo as many here do, but must get out of this vicious circle somehow. i decided to either get a turbo trainer or sign up to the gym for few months. nearest decent gym is 15mins away by bike and i'm afraid i will not be making an effort to get my arse over there often enough. spinning classes can be fun while turbo trainer is boring as hell - it may end up sitting there unused. there's always an option to just get out for a ride, but then last weekend the weather was perfect and i planned some riding but did none as i just couldn't be asked to get outside.
how to get rid of this negative mindset and laziness? it could be that i'm looking for a quick-fix (gym/turbo) but might be lacking willpower to use them? how can i get a thrill from cycling again? that burning desire to just jump on the bike and go?
thanks for your thoughts and advice!

Re: Turbo trainer or gym membership
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2013, 11:20:15 pm »
Turbo trainer can be bought and sold via eBay so no loss if it doesn't work out.

But the most fun is to be had outdoors, if you can't motivate yourself to do that what chance do the alternatives have?

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2 on: 11 April, 2013, 12:25:58 am »
thanks for your replies - retail therapy is good, but i think i've got too much cycling stuff already and don't know what i'd need to boost enthusiasm ::-).

[what i would really enjoy is a two-week high intensity training camp in majorca or similar - blue skies, smooth traffic-free roads and mediterranean kitchen. shame this can't become a reality this spring.. oh well.]

« Reply #3 on: 11 April, 2013, 12:37:51 am »
Turbo with a decent vid like the sufferfest series is definitely a challenge, but you have to have real motivation to use it, and a good supply of dry towels. I have a turbo you could try if you want, I've bought myself a new one. The old one is a bit fiddly as it has electronic control rather than a simple lever, but you would be welcome to borrow (I'm East London)

« Reply #4 on: 11 April, 2013, 06:39:51 am »
For me, I'm much more likely to do something if I'm being 'watched', or doing it with other people. So turbo nearly never happened when I had one in my house, whereas if I sign up for a class I will go. (Headed to one right now, in fact).

« Reply #5 on: 11 April, 2013, 07:42:06 am »
For regaining mojo, its a gym. People to talk to. People to watch. People to show-off to. Fit people to admire, fat people to encourage. Sauna. Free coffee.
For serious training, its a Turbo. Proper bike. Kinda consistant and you can co-relate the turbo against your real bike.

I have both.

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #6 on: 11 April, 2013, 08:06:28 am »
Turbotrainer + radio + Kindle = not boring at all.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2013, 11:38:13 am »
i've bought a gym membership this morning only to find out that i won't be getting what i'm after. they offer 40 different classes per week, including spinning classes, but all spinning classes are fully booked for eight days in advance with no option to book any further >:(. if i need to sit online waiting when the new class booking is released, i'm not interested.
i'll visit the gym tonight and speak to a member of their staff to see if they can offer any other options.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:11:56 pm »
regretfully i had to cancel the gym membership as the classes are heavily overbooked. instead i went out for a 16km loop (including three times up the shooters hill) before it got dark today :thumbsup:.

Ham, i am seriously considering your kind offer re turbo trainer - i should be able to transport it strapped to my back/rucksack? cheers

« Reply #9 on: 11 April, 2013, 10:23:32 pm »
regretfully i had to cancel the gym membership as the classes are heavily overbooked. instead i went out for a 16km loop (including three times up the shooters hill) before it got dark today :thumbsup:.

Ham, i am seriously considering your kind offer re turbo trainer - i should be able to transport it strapped to my back/rucksack? cheers

yw, it is pretty lumpy though. You could carry, I'd be wary about bike transport. You in London? Shooters Hill? You must be on the other side of the river. You could always see if Jurek is willing to be a pack horse.......

edit: actually you're better off collecting, then I can explain how it all works