Author Topic: Done with the Dun Run? Try Dun Run Lite - 7th June  (Read 1762 times)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Done with the Dun Run? Try Dun Run Lite - 7th June
« on: 17 May, 2013, 09:21:15 am »
Although I'd posted this some time ago over on CC, I'd forgotten to start a topic here.

Anyway, in the past I've run a ride out to Dunwich mid summer, basically because I'm unlikely to do the official Dunwich Dynamo again due to the sheer numbers involved and the hassle to get back home again on a Sunday.

I'm running this again on Friday 7th June, leaving the traditional London Fields, Hackney location at midnight (which has the advantage that Epping Forest and the Essex roads are quieter), a halfway stop at the 24 hour Tesco in Sudbury and then a late morning arrival on the beach, in time for a late breakfast/early lunch at the Flora Cafe, before a brief bimble back to Darsham station to get a train back.  And being a Saturday, there shouldn't be any problems.

Full details shown here.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Done with the Dun Run? Try Dun Run Lite - 7th June
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2013, 09:30:48 am »
This is the weekend of the WNBR. Will you be naked?  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2013, 09:33:30 am »
Seeing as it seems to still be winter, with temperatures barely into double figures, NO.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2013, 09:41:06 am »
Also clashes with Smithfield Nocturne, Where, hopefully, a certain member of this parish will be racing a Penny.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2013, 09:59:35 am »
And the Oxford-London night ride too. (Perhaps particular hard nuts could start in Oxford and try to chase this ride on its way to the coast?)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 19 May, 2013, 05:33:44 pm »
Also clashes with Smithfield Nocturne, Where, hopefully, a certain member of this parish will be racing a Penny.

Shirley the Nocturne is (a) on the 8th and (b) at night. Thus giving a cyclist in Dunwich for brekko on the 8th plenty of time to get back to London Town Divine and watch the shennanigans.

Anyhoo, I've made a mark with an HB on my calendar.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #6 on: 26 May, 2013, 01:08:58 pm »
A little advance warning - it would be sensible to buy train tickets in advance as with a Network Railcard, they're only £12 back to London, compared with £39.70 on the day.  Also, although you can't book bikes spaces on the Darsham to Ipswich train, it would be sensible (but not compulsory) to book tickets via the Southern Railways web site (or similar) to let you book a bike space, as then you'd definitely be covered for the Ipswich to London train.  The Darsham to Ipswich trains run every hour.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 26 May, 2013, 01:17:58 pm »
I'm not sure if you are aware that Network Cards only apply as far as Manningtree on that line, Adam. It sounds to me as though you are talking about advance tickets, and there is no network card discount on those. There is old buggers' railcard discount though.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2013, 05:50:40 pm »
With all the reprobates signed up on CC, it looks like there'll be 14 of us heading off from London Fields, into the quiet air of Hackney, and beyond.  Shame it's a headwind.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2013, 09:36:27 pm »
Well, in the end we had 11 riders.  Full ride report is over here, but seeing as a night riding tradition at Tesco's was kept up by using their baskets, here's a special photo, just for Roger.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10 on: 10 June, 2013, 06:43:00 am »
Ah - there's an option you don't have on a Saturday-Sunday ride (they close at midnight).  The headwind was probably worse for you, although we suffered it too.  You were going ENE, right into it, whereas we were zigzagging ESE.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.