Author Topic: Commuting cycling questionnaire - University major project  (Read 1607 times)

Commuting cycling questionnaire - University major project
« on: 17 October, 2013, 07:47:33 pm »
Hello all commuter cyclists

I am currently studying Product Design, as a keen cyclist for many years I have chosen to relate my major project on cycling and in particular 'Carrying capacity' on a bicycle. I am in the early stages at the minute and just generally assessing the market. I have a linked a quick questionnaire and would really, really appreciate it if you could fill it in as it will literally take less than 1 minute! Thanks to all the people who also filled in the previous questionnaires.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6LCZB3T

I will check the forums regulalily so if you have anything to post I will always reply!

Thanks a bunch!

Adam

Re: Commuting cycling questionnaire - University major project
« Reply #1 on: 17 October, 2013, 09:02:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far guys! please keep going

Adam

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2 on: 17 October, 2013, 09:03:06 pm »
I'm serious about the elephant gun.

;D

« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2013, 09:05:24 pm »
I'm serious about the elephant gun.

;D

For the education of errant motorists?

*whistles innocently*

PS. Makes my wish for office smart SPD compatible shoes seem mundane.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2013, 09:09:25 pm »
Let's just say yesterday was one of those days, both on the way in and on the way home.

« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2013, 09:41:38 pm »
Can I borrow it after you finished with it? (ie, been locked up)

« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2013, 09:47:09 pm »
Thanks to both of you for filling out my questionnaire!

;D

[/quote]

PS. Makes my wish for office smart SPD compatible shoes seem mundane.
[/quote]

This one interested me, but unfortunately there are already some SPD shoes that pose as smart office shoes, I think these are only concept shoes and not fully mass production product though http://www.brit.co/bike-gadgets/ is a very interesting website for anyone to have a look at! and it has the shoes you talked about on it (retrofitz) (and annoying some of the ideas I had)

And Clare, Elephant gun  ;D the idea with the compartment attachment device to split up your current panniers is interesting and seems to be a problem a few different people are having.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2013, 09:59:10 pm »
How about a holster for an elephant gun?

;D

Locked up?? I'll accept nothing short of a commendation for service to the community.

I had to do two stoppies yesterday because careful and attentive drivers weren't aware of my existence, I mean fergawdssake I'm 5 foot 9, weight 80kg and was wearing pink. How can you miss a 5 foot 9 blancmange riding a bike?

Maybe I should have suggested Adam Motlock creates a helmet with added 2 metre high flashing neon sign saying "Caution; this woman is carrying an elephant gun."

« Reply #8 on: 17 October, 2013, 10:04:30 pm »
How about a holster for an elephant gun?

;D

Maybe I should have suggested Adam Motlock creates a helmet with added 2 metre high flashing neon sign saying "Caution; this woman is carrying an elephant gun."

I'll get designing!  :P haha get a nice big pink flag for your bike like kids bikes have :D

« Reply #9 on: 18 October, 2013, 09:58:59 am »
Thanks for filling my questionnaires in so far guys! some really good idea coming from it! (still need more) haha, and I might upload my questionnaire for cyclists that go shopping on their bikes later on today. (sorry if all these questionnaires are getting annoying, tell me if they are)

Thanks,

Adam.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 18 October, 2013, 10:39:26 am »
I can tell from the questions that you fancy inventing a bike fridge.  Well, I'm afraid it's already been invented:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/barmy-cyclist-spotted-with-fridge-freezer-175371

http://www.northroadbicycle.com/articles/pashley_33.html
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #11 on: 18 October, 2013, 03:42:42 pm »
I can tell from the questions that you fancy inventing a bike fridge.  Well, I'm afraid it's already been invented:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/barmy-cyclist-spotted-with-fridge-freezer-175371

http://www.northroadbicycle.com/articles/pashley_33.html

Thanks for making me laugh! ( I hope you are joking  :P)
and yes it is a possible route (how could you tell specifically that?), although there seems to have been bigger problems highlighted from several different types of cyclists (regarding panniers), not just commuters!
 I think touring cyclists would be interested in a 'cooling' pannier from the results I got powered by yourself. and some battery for night. But commuters seem to be happy having some yogurt or something out of the fridge for a few hours or they just make do with a sandwich. The real question would be are they happy with having foods for lunch that don't have to be kept cool or do people just make do!

Thanks!

Adam.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 18 October, 2013, 04:25:40 pm »
I noticed that a fridge was being hinted at too.

Not sure how it would work for touring.  A peltier-driven system would surely require prohibitive amounts of battery and/or insulation to keep it going for the 24hours+ that you need for a fridge to be worth having.  Dynamo power is overrated for touring, as most touring cyclists do relatively little mileage (we can assume at low speeds if they're bringing the sort of equipment that is congruent with a fridge), and they're probably using the dynamo to power their other gadgets already.  We know solar doesn't work without prohibitive panel area.  Mains power correlates strongly with shops that sell food, so it's going to have to run for days without recharging.  Gas-powered absorption refrigerator on a bike?  That I'd like to see.  I can imagine it filling the same sort of niche as the Midget Bushtrekka.

In the real world, cycle tourists tend to eat fresh foods obtained locally within a day - which you can reasonably get away without refrigeration in most weather - or use food that can be stored indefinitely at room temperatures.  The most critical item for most people on here seems to be milk for their tea addiction, which keeps reasonably well in a thermos flask.  It's just not that important.

Commuters can use a simple cool-bag if necessary.  There's probably a fridge at work, and even if there isn't, pretty much anything will keep until lunchtime.  The one thing they don't want to be doing is faffing with another gadget when they park their bike.

Obviously a cargo cycle with a refrigerated compartment is a potentially useful thing to have for delivering food.  Again, rather niche.

« Reply #13 on: 18 October, 2013, 04:33:33 pm »

Not sure how it would work for touring. 

Come ON now, it must be powered by sweat, as any fule kno, evaporation cools, perfect.