Author Topic: Cycling Safety Questionnaire - University Major Project  (Read 1547 times)

Cycling Safety Questionnaire - University Major Project
« on: 19 October, 2013, 07:53:26 pm »
Cycling Safety Questionnaire - University Major Project

Hi guys it's me again,

I know I have been posting a lot of questionnaire for my major project and it is possibly annoying a lot of you, well this will hopefully be my last one for a while as I have to move on due to time constraints and hopefully the results from this will provide backing for my idea. Well I have been doing all these questionnaires about 'carrying capacity' for cyclists that use their bikes in different ways and found out actually that the main problem cyclist have is 'cycling safety' and the main complaints were road users passing them too closely and being generally un-aware of the distance they should give cyclists. I know there are products out there to help with this, but they are pretty basic and I want to try and improve on them. Please take 1 minute to fill this out for me as I would really appreciate it

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/WB2SS35

As usual I will keep looking into here and responding to all posts on here!

Thanks,

Adam.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Cycling Safety Questionnaire - University Major Project
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2013, 09:22:25 pm »
I'm warning you.  I shall be dull again.  ;)

*clicks link*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #2 on: 20 October, 2013, 11:10:07 am »
You might be able to guess which response was mine.

:)

« Reply #3 on: 20 October, 2013, 11:32:06 am »
Adam

As you've been harvesting opinions from this forum, is there any chance of posting a summary of your conclusions?

Survey completed, but I may not have given the responses you were hoping for.  :demon:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 20 October, 2013, 02:13:35 pm »
The 'solution' you're hinting at can be achieved by strapping a garden fork or golf umbrella sideways across the rear rack.

Being seen while cycling is more about psychology than optics (hence everyone tells recumbent riders they're invisible, but they actually get far more room on the road).  Similarly, you're more likely to influence driver behaviour by making them want to give you room (either to avoid the hazard, or to get a good look at the interesting bike/object) than by telling them how much room they should be giving you.

« Reply #5 on: 20 October, 2013, 03:23:12 pm »
See also David Martin's Theory of Big for encouraging drivers to give you a little more room.

« Reply #6 on: 20 October, 2013, 11:16:31 pm »
Adam

As you've been harvesting opinions from this forum, is there any chance of posting a summary of your conclusions?

Survey completed, but I may not have given the responses you were hoping for.  :demon:

Once I have a conclusion then I will post the summary on here  :) and that's fine if you didn't give answers you 'think' I want, all I want are honest answers...what would be the point of research otherwise. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your thoughts Kim, it is something I will need to look into in great depth.

« Reply #7 on: 21 October, 2013, 11:15:11 am »
See also David Martin's Theory of Big for encouraging drivers to give you a little more room.

Thanks for that link it's really helpfull.

Adam.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 21 October, 2013, 01:26:14 pm »
There's some evidence that wearing a helmet makes drivers pass closer.  However, I once followed a cyclist with a helmet hanging from a length of elastic cord on the back of their rucksack - it was bouncing around alarmingly as they pedalled, and getting them an amazing amount of room from passing traffic.  Many BIG points there.

« Reply #9 on: 21 October, 2013, 05:29:06 pm »
Thanks Guys!!! Am at over 100 responses for this one now so I don't need anymore! I have got a really good concept in mind, which I might need to talk to people for their opinions, so watch out for that! hopefully it is something that is technically viable and cyclists will like!

Thanks again,

Adam. ^_^

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #10 on: 21 October, 2013, 06:16:29 pm »
Got to warn you that experienced cyclists are a conservative lot overall.  Anything at all whacky will be harshly criticised.  It's because we've seen a lot of shit inventions come and go, and a lot of misunderstandings about cycling and safety.  It's important to have a good understanding of the big picture.  That includes the attitudes of motorists as well as cyclists and cycles.

I suppose none of this is important for a university project about a fictional product, but if your idea is truly really good, you could make millions of pounds from it as well.  In that case, you'd need to patent it before mentioning it on any forum - a lengthy and expensive process.

Good luck!  Sorry to be a bubble-bursting bastard.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #11 on: 21 October, 2013, 08:41:45 pm »
Got to warn you that experienced cyclists are a conservative lot overall.  Anything at all whacky will be harshly criticised. 

I suppose none of this is important for a university project about a fictional product.

If I had a scanner, i'd show you the fairing/bar-bag and tail-fairing/saddlebag (very sports-motorcycle style) that I came up with on my Design course. It'd be good for a laugh.  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 21 October, 2013, 08:44:42 pm »
If I had a scanner, i'd show you the fairing/bar-bag and tail-fairing/saddlebag (very sports-motorcycle style) that I came up with on my Design course. It'd be good for a laugh.  :facepalm:

Er, I'm thinking that's actually a truly really good idea!  :)
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●