Author Topic: Friday Night Ride To The Coast - October  (Read 12037 times)

Friday Night Ride To The Coast - October
« on: 14 September, 2008, 10:20:56 am »
Lifted from elsewhere

Simon L3

Re: Friday Night Ride to the Coast - 10th October - Whitstable
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 08:35 »   
Jurek (who, I imagine, will be at the front for this one)
Adamski
JT
Smutchin
TimO
FlyingDodo
Life of Brian
Kipperonabike
Greg Collins
Jane K

to which I've added my name
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Friday Night Ride To The Coast - October
« Reply #1 on: 14 September, 2008, 10:25:45 am »
I shall be sleeping soundly in sunny darkest Lancasher, preparing for the Pendle Witches' Ride.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:26:31 pm »
Quote from: Simon L3
Adamski
JT
Smutchin
TimO
FlyingDodo
Life of Brian
Kipperonabike
Greg Collins
Jane K
Adrian C
Andrij
Clive B
Jasper
dan_B
Paul R
marna
astrocan
pushbikeman
Che
Dave M

I'm delighted to be able to tell you that elevenses (to be taken at the slightly earlier time of half past three) will be served at Andy's Cafe in Rochester. This is about 36 miles from the start of the ride, so bring bananas.

There is the occasional garage open in the early hours on the way to Rochester, so there's no prospect of our having to leave emaciated riders by the side of the road.

We're indebted to Jurek for working this one out. He's also contriving a breakfast stop with a sea view.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2008, 06:34:46 pm »
Quote from: Simon L3
I'm delighted to be able to tell you that elevenses (to be taken at the slightly earlier time of half past three) will be served at Andy's Cafe in Rochester. This is about 36 miles from the start of the ride, so bring bananas.

There is the occasional garage open in the early hours on the way to Rochester, so there's no prospect of our having to leave emaciated riders by the side of the road.

We're indebted to Jurek for working this one out. He's also contriving a breakfast stop with a sea view.

Just to make sure that NSTN doesn't forget her banana. I know how much she likes them. ;D

Don't worry NSTN, I won't be on this ride. I'll be heading for Norfolk with some other nutters on the Saturday morning, so shall be in the land of nod when this ride goes on, so your banana will be safe. At least, it will be from me anyway. Maybe you can add your name to the list now. ;D

« Reply #4 on: 01 October, 2008, 08:14:29 pm »
Blatant Bump!  :thumbsup:

Currently on the lookout for those willing to take The King's Legg's Shilling.

Failing which - keep an eye out for the Press Gang.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5 on: 01 October, 2008, 08:24:49 pm »
And don't forget, you don't need an account over the road to get signed up.  Have a look at http://fnrttc.blogspot.com/ for contact details.

I plan to be there, but don't let that put you off...
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:18:50 pm »
 I know by posting an availability to do this ride the powers that be will now start a chain of events that lead to a no show, but I'll try my best.

Hilly, as in fixed or geared?

Indeed, Fixed bike or my one geared bike? "ha"

Rochester at 3am?  I shall start sewing my old Kevlar tyres in to a vest now
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:24:55 pm »
I know by posting an availability to do this ride the powers that be will now start a chain of events that lead to a no show, but I'll try my best.

Rochester at 3AM will be cool  8).
We know a tucked away, quiet spot....... ;)
You'll be fine on any of your bikes  - I've seen you get up The Beacon.

Hope you can make it.

« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:27:36 pm »
I'll be doing this on the singlespeed (since as usual, I'm nowhere near getting the tourer back together).  I really need to find me a new chainring and chain, since the current one sounds a bit 'orrible, and another 200 miles of commuting isn't going to improve things before the ride!

(I'm hoping most of the noise is down to the chainring/chain, otherwise I'm going to have to swap the bottom bracket out as well, and that would be annoying).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:33:40 pm »
I'll be doing this on the singlespeed (since as usual, I'm nowhere near getting the tourer back together).  I really need to find me a new chainring and chain, since the current one sounds a bit 'orrible,

Have you put a new sprocket on, by any chance?

« Reply #10 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:40:21 pm »
I'll be doing this on the singlespeed (since as usual, I'm nowhere near getting the tourer back together).  I really need to find me a new chainring and chain, since the current one sounds a bit 'orrible,

Have you put a new sprocket on, by any chance?

No, it's just wear, I've only done about 4000 miles on this arrangement, but I haven't done much other than poor more oil onto the chain every so often.  The combination is clearly worn, the chain lifts away from the chainring, and under pedalling it can shift around a bit, making an audible click, which I can also feel through my feet.

I'll probably change the lot, I have a spare sprocket that I've wanted to put on for a while, the chainring is knackered, and it's not worth trying to reuse the chain (not that it would work very well anyway).

If this was a geared bike, the chain would probably be happily jumping around and generally making cycling it lethal, at least with the singlespeed it's just a bit noisy!

« Reply #11 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:46:45 pm »

No, it's just wear, I've only done about 4000 miles on this arrangement, but I haven't done much other than poor more oil onto the chain every so often.  The combination is clearly worn, the chain lifts away from the chainring, and under pedalling it can shift around a bit, making an audible click, which I can also feel through my feet.

I'll probably change the lot, I have a spare sprocket that I've wanted to put on for a while, the chainring is knackered, and it's not worth trying to reuse the chain (not that it would work very well anyway).

If this was a geared bike, the chain would probably be happily jumping around and generally making cycling it lethal, at least with the singlespeed it's just a bit noisy!

Yes, change it all at the same time.
I use a Park Chain Checker. The blue one with the window which costs about £20.
It's paid for itself several times now, as I replace the chain when it gets worn, but before it hacks my chainrings and sprockets to death.
I get very good quality KMC chain for about £3.50 (1?8th, the 3/32nd stuff for 6/7 speed is dearer) from Asda.
It's either keep replacing the chain to preserve the chainrings and sprockets, or ride it all to destruction. I don't know which method is cheapest, but if you change your gear ratios regularly, the former is best.

« Reply #12 on: 01 October, 2008, 09:56:47 pm »
Since the new freewheel is a White Industries one, I think I had better dig out my Park chain testing tool, which is somewhere... with most of the rest of my house, I've been there 6 months, but I still don't know where anything is. ;D

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #13 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:24:57 pm »

Rochester at 3AM will be cool  8).
We know a tucked away, quiet spot....... ;)
You'll be fine on any of your bikes  - I've seen you get up The Beacon.

Hope you can make it.

;D  my one geared bike is just that a bike with one gear  ;D
What's the proposed route?
"Don't stop pedalling"

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #14 on: 02 October, 2008, 10:10:49 am »
Route will be:

Hyde Park Corner > Greenwich > climb onto Blackheath > A202 to Gravesend > lanes via Higham to Rochester > lanes parrel to the A2 to Favesham (most of which is NCN route 1) > Whitstable

Edit: It is roughly this route.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Tiger

« Reply #15 on: 06 October, 2008, 07:29:24 pm »
I am not on over the road - I would like to put my name down.  I have mislaid Simon's contact details but woudl appreciate if my name could be popped on the list. Thanks.
Had a go on the blog thing but couldn't find the contact bit.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #16 on: 06 October, 2008, 07:37:47 pm »
I am not on over the road - I would like to put my name down.  I have mislaid Simon's contact details but woudl appreciate if my name could be popped on the list. Thanks.
Had a go on the blog thing but couldn't find the contact bit.

Simon's email address is simon_legg@yahoo.co.uk

See you on Friday!

Current list is:

Jurek
Adamski
JT
Smutchin (?)
TimO
FlyingDodo
Life of Brian
Kipperonabike
Greg Collins
Jane K
Adrian C
Andrij
Clive B
Jasper
dan_B
Paul R
marna
astrocan
pushbikeman
Che
Dave M
Jane (saoirse)
Werner W
Iftkhar H
Tim Hall
Arthur
NSTN
Jonathan L
Eddie C
Pete G
The Bounder!
fixedwheelnut
Oliver S
Matthew
Des O'D
Zoe F
Chris ?
Els V
Paul Cooke
Mike 24

a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #17 on: 06 October, 2008, 10:52:49 pm »
Please add Martin109.

I've actually emailed Simon, but if someone could add me, that'd be great!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #18 on: 07 October, 2008, 12:24:58 am »
Simon is Keeper of The List, so no one else can add you. If you've emailed him, your name should appear on the next update. If you emailed him before the update up there ^ was issued, you might want to send him a gentle reminder.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tiger

« Reply #19 on: 07 October, 2008, 08:39:00 am »
I can't come - at the theatre I have been informed.

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #20 on: 07 October, 2008, 07:31:01 pm »
Ok - I've just sent off my application to Simon as well.

I plan on riding down to Rochester with you'll and then retracing up to Saffron Walden to do the Golden Tints Audax.

That way I’ll get in a 400 and complete my SR.

Anyone wanna join me?

« Reply #21 on: 08 October, 2008, 08:44:49 pm »
I've just been looking at the National Rail website, and National Express, and they both think that on a Saturday morning, the train from Whitstable takes almost two hours to get to Victoria! :o

Is there any better route, maybe via another close(ish) station, or should I bring a long book to read?

« Reply #22 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:22:10 pm »
Yes, I noticed that too when booking my ticket.

Does anyone know if a bike reservation is required?

« Reply #23 on: 08 October, 2008, 10:16:05 pm »
You don't need a reservation for bikes, and unfortunately there are no really fast trains in that area. They all go through the Medway towns. The nearest alternative route would be from Canterbury West, which goes through Ashford and is no faster as far as I know. :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #24 on: 08 October, 2008, 11:48:36 pm »
Butterfly is correct.
Why would you want a fast service, anyway?
As it is, the return train journey closely hugs the outward cycle route, giving ample opportunity to look out and reflect on what you have spent the night doing - from a different perspective.
For me, that is a bonus to the ride.
No?
 :)