Author Topic: Friday Night Ride To The Coast - October  (Read 12032 times)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Re: Friday Night Ride To The Coast - October
« Reply #50 on: 13 October, 2008, 11:55:11 am »
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #51 on: 13 October, 2008, 12:38:28 pm »
The sheep one is superb.

:)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #52 on: 13 October, 2008, 12:48:17 pm »
Really sorry to have missed this one - another FNRttC missed due to work - doubly so since I used to live in Whitstable

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #53 on: 13 October, 2008, 01:14:31 pm »
Despite this being a 'scenic' ride, I too am mightily peeved to have missed the excursion due to other demands upon my time.

Can we do it again early next year?  Does anyone have a GPS log that I might follow solo?
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #54 on: 13 October, 2008, 01:47:11 pm »
It's not as scenic as it could be - note that it avoids the big climb out of Chatham, for example. And there seemed to be plenty of riders on fixed, who all coped OK.

Great photos, Pavel and Swarm Catcher - all the better for the fact that I somehow contrived not to be in any of them! Love that sheep pic.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #55 on: 13 October, 2008, 02:38:25 pm »
... Does anyone have a GPS log that I might follow solo?

Yes, there is this on Bikely.  This has been simplified down to about 500 points, but I can run the original through GPSBabel and produce something even simpler if that's more useful for your GPS (the original is around 28000 points!)

There is also the route that some of us used to get from the cafe on the seafront at Whitstable to Canterbury West station, along the Crab and Winkle Way.  It's a little off road in places, but most people on road bikes with narrow tyres were OK on it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #56 on: 13 October, 2008, 02:47:35 pm »
Cheers for the bikely link.  Having done the Whitstable route a number of times I know it off by heart, but I woudn't have been able to plot it onto a map because I was unsure of the roads we took going through the Medway towns.  It now makes sense.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #57 on: 13 October, 2008, 06:37:09 pm »
Great photos swarm catcher and Pavel (even if they are sullied by my appearance in a few)

Now, I'm terrible at the names/faces thing. Tim O, Jurek, The Mysterious Pavel, Jane, smutchin, our Esteemed Leader, Adrian, JT and Adamski I can do, but that's about it.

Martin109, which one were you?

And who was riding the Mercian with the classy barbershop pole paint job? We chatted about this and that at the cafe.

And who was it I was talking to as we rode across the first bit of marshes - comes from Abingdon?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #58 on: 13 October, 2008, 09:55:50 pm »
Jurek, Simon, Adamski

For a ride as well organized as the FNRttC, which can come up with scenery like we had on Saturday, and with such a good bunch of people I will happily help to grease the running wheels by standing marker on a junction. Its such a simple thing to do and the sight of watching ~50 cyclists stream past in the night is too good to turn down.

Thank you for a wonderful and well planned ride. The cafes worked brilliantly and as normal the ride ran really smoothly.

Matthew

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #59 on: 14 October, 2008, 10:37:05 am »
Ta TimO - I might give it a go one weekend.

I love the Crab and Winkle Way.  I've ridden it quite a few times.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #60 on: 14 October, 2008, 10:42:38 am »
Ta TimO - I might give it a go one weekend.

I love the Crab and Winkle Way.  I've ridden it quite a few times.

I might be up for that as a day ride if you fancy company?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #61 on: 14 October, 2008, 01:22:22 pm »
The A202 is great during the night, but I wouldn't wanna do it during the day.  So if you do this as a day ride then talk to Jurek because he can tell you a better route to Dartford than the A202.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #62 on: 14 October, 2008, 05:40:14 pm »

Hi Tim!  I'm the one scoffing his egg and beans-on-toast, with another member of the peloton (sorry never did find out your name!) looking on in amusement!

« Reply #63 on: 14 October, 2008, 08:11:05 pm »
The A202 is great during the night, but I wouldn't wanna do it during the day.  So if you do this as a day ride then talk to Jurek because he can tell you a better route to Dartford than the A202.

You know where to find me.  :D

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #64 on: 14 October, 2008, 08:45:01 pm »
Like everybody else, I wish to add my thanks to Simon for his leadership and organisation.  The guys marking the roundabouts added a nice touch that made the ride feel 'gentler'.  The other benefit of acting as sentry duty is that you get to use some of that excess energy that builds up when fast people cycle with normal riders.

I had some of that energy on Friday night, but I was not helping out.  Instead of racing to the next cross roads and then stopping I decided to race one of the fixie fast-boys to the top of a hill.  I was tailing him for most of the way up - not trying to give away that I was deep in the red zone - but then I blew.

On another occasion, I decided to draft behind a lorry.  This was fun passing all the other riders, but then the driver started to decelerate followed by a quick acceleration.  I heaved on the bars and pushed on the pedals; but one foot released.  I knew that I had lost control of the bike and I made several efforts to keep it upright.  I also knew that I was in the middle of the road and that there were cars behind me.

It was not a conscious effort to stop fighting - but I was aware that I was going to hit the ground.  The previous couple of seconds took forever, but the next half second was over very quickly.  I heard the smash of something on the road and looked around to see what was coming.  Luckily, the car behind was far enough away for me to recover to the side of the road.

In the next couple of seconds, I checked my body - all ok.
Then I checked the bike.  Chain off, the front wheel was at an awkward angle, but also ok.
So that meant the smash sound came from my lights.  I was not looking forward to the damage to my £150 Solidlights.  They were ok too.
The sound of broken glass had come from my helmet mounted lights.  I had no recollection of my head making contact with the hard stuff - but it must have.

I mounted the bike with the assistance of Andrij and refitted the chain.  After that, I went a bit slower.  It was not for another 18hours before I noticed a small graze on my elbow.  By that time I had finished the Golden Tints 200, and the graze was the least of my pains.

One of those days that will stand out for years to come.  Thanks to all - especially Simon*.

*I left Rochester without paying for my Bacon buttie.  This was very mean of Simon to give me credit, as I now have to do the November ride.  He is a cunning fellow.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #65 on: 15 October, 2008, 08:37:16 pm »
Bloody hell Justin, that sounds a bit of a rough time. From your description it sounds like this happened on the rise out of, umm, Chatham(?), with the fence on the right hand side which shielded a Big Drop, complete with dire warning signs.

Certainly at that point I remember a lorry going past and a sudden halt at the back of the pack. Two fixie riders had a slight coming together, but that was all we noticed.

And for photo ID fiends, I'm the one in the skeleton jacket http://www.flickr.com/photos/27747819@N06/2936705196/ 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #66 on: 15 October, 2008, 08:56:04 pm »
Justin(e), you are a silly reckless boy(girl)

;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #67 on: 16 October, 2008, 01:17:36 pm »

Hi Tim!  I'm the one scoffing his egg and beans-on-toast, with another member of the peloton (sorry never did find out your name!) looking on in amusement!

that would be me.

I also seem to appear in one photo just when I was sorting out my money for Simon for the Half way stop.

Matthew