Author Topic: Llanfair.....400  (Read 29078 times)

Re: Llanfair.....400
« Reply #150 on: 11 May, 2017, 01:00:55 pm »
Good news the road at  384km Ciceley Mill Lane. is OPEN
Ignore the road closed ahead sign on Ciceley Mill Lane this is for a road we do not use.
The lights at Bucklow Hill just before Ciceley Mill  are 4 way temporary lights. They may take a while to change there is a temp foot path which will allow you to walk an cross the road. Due to the new bypass there is now very little traffic on this road.

« Reply #151 on: 12 May, 2017, 08:37:32 am »
Good news the road at  384km Ciceley Mill Lane. is OPEN
Ignore the road closed ahead sign on Ciceley Mill Lane this is for a road we do not use.
The lights at Bucklow Hill just before Ciceley Mill  are 4 way temporary lights. They may take a while to change there is a temp foot path which will allow you to walk an cross the road. Due to the new bypass there is now very little traffic on this road.

Ye, I got through yesterday while riding the 400km, just to check that everything is in place for this weekend. 

Gosh it was cold during the night and I ended up wearing everything I was carrying.  During the day time it was the hottest day for me so far in 2017.

« Reply #152 on: 12 May, 2017, 04:26:14 pm »
... while riding the 400km, just to check that everything is in place for this weekend. 

I ought to add, watch for sand on the coastal cyclepath.  Mostly this was just an occasional dusting, so of little consequence, but there were two patches where the sand was several inches deep and would have brought me to an instant sandstill.    I'll try to remember to clear the patch between Dwgyfylchi and Conway, as that is on the return route and it will probably be dark by the time most riders get there.

You can tell me tomorrow how to pronounce Dwgyfylchi.

« Reply #153 on: 12 May, 2017, 10:07:33 pm »

It is pronounced Dwgyfylchi - I hope this helps  :)
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

« Reply #154 on: 12 May, 2017, 10:21:12 pm »

You've left out a y to make it more difficult!

« Reply #155 on: 13 May, 2017, 06:21:33 am »

You've left out a y to make it more difficult!

Oh yes.  It should be Dwygyfylchi, which makes all the difference.

« Reply #156 on: 14 May, 2017, 09:16:56 am »
Thanks for organising the ride Mike, got back to Poynton very very wet at 2:44, it was a fantastic route with a little bit of everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #157 on: 14 May, 2017, 07:15:30 pm »
Thanks for organising Mike. The open cafe in Holyhead was very welcome.

First (and perhaps last) 400 done  :D

« Reply #158 on: 14 May, 2017, 07:39:24 pm »
Thanks for organising Mike. The open cafe in Holyhead was very welcome.

This is perhaps my favourite ride.  Or at least my favourite 400 in Wales starting from Poynton.

I was just sorry about PromExtra, which involved the closure of the promenade to all traffic, including what is a pretty decent cycling through route.  I had been unaware that this was taking place, even though I cycled through on Thursday.  I was amazed to be told that security were directing cyclists onto the A55, which is simply not allowed, and I'll raise this with the organising body.

Why last 400?  I thought my first SR was my last, but I seem to have done another 8 since then. 

« Reply #159 on: 14 May, 2017, 07:41:06 pm »
Yes big thank you for organising a great route. I completely underestimated how hard it would be as I looks like a ride up and down the North Wales coast which everyone knows if flat, right? I had rode all the sections before bar one before having lived in North Wales for many years. I didn't even know that Sychnant Pass existed, truly stunning!

Weather wasn't great,but could always have been a lot worse, we did have a lovely sunny spell just as we were climbing Halkyn Mountain over the Babell. The wind took it's toll on its way out especially on Anglesey (which is 20% of the whole ride!) and dropped through the night on the way back. We started out from the toll house cafe just as it started raining heavy.

I really started to struggle and lost the wheels of the group I was with just before getting back to Conwy and was really concerned about being able to get to Abergele without some food that wasn't a gel. I passed a kebab shop and pulled in for a coke and also ordered some chips. I had been in there 2 minutes when 8 big drunk local blokes walked in including a bloke that was tattooed head to toe, including the his hands and whole of his face and head. I thought to my self "here we go then, bound to be some trouble" but they were the nicest bunch of guys you could hope to meet, the tattooed guy insisted on paying for my meal and the other guys collected a couple of quid that they pressed on me even though I explained that it wasn't for charity and we were cycling 250 miles just for fun! Refueled I made Abergele after also stopping at the Black Cat garage for some chocolate using my recently acquired donation. I had a 10 minute snooze at Abergele and 10 minutes at Elton services and got back, 23 hours after I has started, absolutely shattered.

https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

« Reply #160 on: 14 May, 2017, 07:45:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure that you will be looking in the calendar in a few weeks looking for 400's that you can do. The memory fades of the pain and suffering and you get left with a rose tinted version of events that sucks you in again!

Well done on completing you first 400, a real challenge because of the length of ride forces you to commit to some night riding!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #161 on: 14 May, 2017, 10:20:17 pm »
I was amazed to be told that security were directing cyclists onto the A55, which is simply not allowed, and I'll raise this with the organising body.

Crikey!  That whole section of the A55 is de facto motorway in all but name by Act of Parliament.  Definitely not allowed to cycle on it!

Sorry I missed the event — I've ridden the Welsh half several times, and the whole thing once, and I think it's a lovely route.  It helps that Mum lives in Babell, so I know Halkyn Mountain really well, and I've now climbed Sychnant a few times, although I also didn't know it existed until I first rode this route.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #162 on: 15 May, 2017, 07:35:31 am »

I'm pretty sure that you will be looking in the calendar in a few weeks looking for 400's that you can do. The memory fades of the pain and suffering and you get left with a rose tinted version of events that sucks you in again!

Why last 400?  I thought my first SR was my last, but I seem to have done another 8 since then.

To quote my wife on Sunday afternoon on hearing I may not do a 600 or anything longer than a 200 again. "Let's wait to see how you feel by Tuesday"

« Reply #163 on: 31 May, 2017, 12:56:27 am »
Hi Mike
Just received your email, thoroughly enjoyed it and many thanks indeed to the Poynton Methodist Ladies, your Dad and the Toll House late openers - all appreciated.
10 DNFs from a field of 53 seems a high attrition rate for what were fairly average UK May conditions?
Tim

« Reply #164 on: 26 May, 2022, 02:54:12 pm »
I'm looking forward to this event on Saturday.

Looking at the comments above we should have much nicer weather than 2017.

« Reply #165 on: 27 May, 2022, 12:54:08 pm »
I'm riding it as well, hopefully. 2017's was windy. 2019's was as well. It should be dry, but cool tomorrow.

« Reply #166 on: 27 May, 2022, 01:53:42 pm »
It’s looking like good LEL fens head wind practice  8)

« Reply #167 on: 27 May, 2022, 06:56:16 pm »
It’s looking like good LEL fens head wind practice  8)

Nah you’ve got hedges and undulations to tame it.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #168 on: 29 May, 2022, 12:21:59 pm »
What a wonderful event. Mike was at Holyhead to cheer us on at the turn. The weather was perfect and the sunset was beautiful. Couldn't have been a better day out.

« Reply #169 on: 29 May, 2022, 01:20:47 pm »
What a wonderful event. Mike was at Holyhead to cheer us on at the turn. The weather was perfect and the sunset was beautiful. Couldn't have been a better day out.
Agreed. Briliant organised with a meticulously prepared route.
The A5 to the turnaround was hardwork but a cafe stop followed by the beautiful B5109 made up for it.

« Reply #170 on: 30 May, 2022, 12:35:02 pm »
Wind was much kinder than the last time we did it and the views of the Welsh mountains were stunning coming back off Anglesey.
Excellent event as always by Mike  :thumbsup:

« Reply #171 on: 30 May, 2022, 02:16:01 pm »
Yes a great ride, thanks again, Mike

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #172 on: 05 December, 2022, 11:53:35 pm »
Entered this for 2023 but pondering over where to stay.

Adlington Travelodge is looking suitably cheap but is riding the A523 into Poynton sensible?
I can see a 5k alternative by Warsend.

The alternative appears to be hoping to get on the Northern train from Picadilly/Stockport that gets in at 8

« Reply #173 on: 06 December, 2022, 08:13:00 am »
Entered this for 2023 but pondering over where to stay.

Adlington Travelodge is looking suitably cheap but is riding the A523 into Poynton sensible?
I can see a 5k alternative by Warsend.

The alternative appears to be hoping to get on the Northern train from Picadilly/Stockport that gets in at 8
Depends on the time of day. Don't go near the A523 in rush hour. OK otherwise.

It's generally busier north of Poynton than south of it, so you should be all right from Adlington.

« Reply #174 on: 06 December, 2022, 09:27:13 am »
It’s quite narrow for an A road and could be busyish at time you’re heading to start. Start is 9am isn’t it?  The back route is only an extra couple of km and relatively flat just west of the Peak.  You could stay in Macclesfield as an alternate, hotel is opposite the train station. Plenty of places to eat there. Then train down to start.