Author Topic: They tell me I'm OK  (Read 3368 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: They tell me I'm OK
« Reply #25 on: 06 June, 2014, 12:21:18 am »
My shoulder most definitely isn't frozen. I have a full range of movement with it.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #26 on: 08 June, 2014, 05:36:46 pm »
I have had a lovely day's cycling with Jurek, Laura and Rob and my shoulder behaved perfectly - until I stopped. The answer is clearly that I must stay on the bike.

« Reply #27 on: 08 June, 2014, 06:32:09 pm »
Cycling is definitely good for you

Until someone tries to stop you with the edge of a car door:

I like to think I may have done the door a bit of no good, too.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #28 on: 08 June, 2014, 06:38:03 pm »
Blimey, Asterix, was that today? I hope you got their details, reported them to the police and claim off their insurance.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #29 on: 09 June, 2014, 09:58:38 pm »
My father is on the same immune-suppressing poison for rheumatoid arthritis, or was until today when he was rushed to hospital with a massive infection (started in his bladder and has spread).  Mum says he's comfortable and talking (even eating and drinking) but the docs are worried as his blood pressure is silly low and all the tests come back with stuff that shouldn't be there.  They do seem to know what they're doing, though.  Will probably pop over and see him tomorrow.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30 on: 09 June, 2014, 10:22:30 pm »
Have a GWS for your father, Roger.

I have been prescribed Gabapentin for my pain. I'm not sure that I like the sound of it.

« Reply #31 on: 09 June, 2014, 10:25:56 pm »
Hope your Pop is on the mend Roger.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: 09 June, 2014, 10:29:52 pm »
Have a GWS for your father, Roger.

I have been prescribed Gabapentin for my pain. I'm not sure that I like the sound of it.

Side effects include " dizziness, fatigue, weight gain, drowsiness," so almost, but not quite, entirely unlike beer....   bet it doesn't taste nice though.

Hope your father gets better soon Roger.  Mine has to take about a dozen pills at every meal, but if it keeps him going, swallow on ..
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #33 on: 09 June, 2014, 10:35:23 pm »
Gapapentin is given for nerve pain of various kinds, there's another drug of similar nature called pregabalin.  I've been offered either/both for neuro pain with my armfail as I think they're fairly 'safe' in as much as GPs will give them a go.  From what friends say they take a few weeks to work and side effects can be odd for a few weeks - keep records if you can as that is most helpful for jibbling.

I am glad the pain was nothing heart-serious and I hope they find and nobble the cause soonest.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #34 on: 09 June, 2014, 11:12:43 pm »
I suspect that I will be better through natural causes during the timescale I've been given. "Take them for a month and if the pain is still there, come back and see me."

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #35 on: 09 June, 2014, 11:22:04 pm »
That's somewhat odd but IANAD or even a pharmacist... In fact I would be tempted to make an appointment with your nearest friendly pharmacist for a wee advice session on that cos my understanding was the gabadrugs take 1+ month to even start to work which is another reason I've never taken then.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #36 on: 10 June, 2014, 05:11:24 pm »
I spoke to sis-in-law (of Hughes Pharmacy, Burnley) this afternoon and she made all sorts of encouraging noises about Gabapentin. She sort of expects it to take about 3 days before I get any benefit and I'm on a fairly low dose. I am guessing that the regime (one tablet a day for three days, then one tablet twice a day) is giving me a lead-in time to see if I have any adverse reactions, of which there seem to be lots.

« Reply #37 on: 10 June, 2014, 05:15:31 pm »
Gabapentin was suggested by a doctor for Woolly's ailments. Since he doesn't react well to drugs, he never tried it, though. I hope it works for you.

« Reply #38 on: 10 June, 2014, 05:25:42 pm »
Blimey, Asterix, was that today? I hope you got their details, reported them to the police and claim off their insurance.

No, it was a week or so ago!  However they were so apologetic about it and contrite I didn't feel like taking the matter further.  Strangely enough my arm has not given me any discomfort - it looks far worse than it feels.

There is a bit more to it, vis-a-vis the indentity of the miscreant, that is better left off tinternet.  Suffice to say, the York Press would love to have got the story and I can't abide the York Press.

But if the worst happens and my arm unexpectedly drops off, I do have the driver's ID that he wrote down for me.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Ruth

« Reply #39 on: 10 June, 2014, 05:27:17 pm »

No, it was a week or so ago!  However they were so apologetic about it and contrite I didn't feel like taking the matter further.  Strangely enough my arm has not given me any discomfort - it looks far worse than it feels.

There is a bit more to it, vis-a-vis the indentity of the miscreant, that is better left off tinternet.  Suffice to say, the York Press would love to have got the story and I can't abide the York Press.

But if the worst happens and my arm unexpectedly drops off, I do have the driver's ID that he wrote down for me.

Was it John Sentamu?

rogerzilla

« Reply #40 on: 10 June, 2014, 10:47:34 pm »
Dad's nearly back to normal now (intravenous penicillin has completely killed off whatever it was) and they moved him to a general ward while I was there this evening (he was in HMU which was scary).  He reckons he's going home tomorrow but Mum and I think he's being slightly optimistic as he still has a catheter in - however, we want him out as soon as humanly possible because there is stuff like MRSA in hospitals.

The moral is..,.if you're taking immunosuppressants, take any infection seriously as you can go downhill faster than Franz Klammer.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #41 on: 16 June, 2014, 12:39:39 am »
I ought to go to bed.

During my appointment last week the doc suggested an NHS health check and I made an appointment for nbext Friday. Tomorrow at 8.35 am I have a fasting blood test for this very appointment. I haven't consumed anything since before 10 pm.

I'm going to double this blood test up so that my methotrexate tolerance or otherwise can also be tested, provided I can find the right form before I go out. I will have to go on the Bronpton as my Thorn has a rear wheel puncture that I haven't yet had the chance to tackle.

rogerzilla

« Reply #42 on: 16 June, 2014, 08:20:26 pm »
Dad is home and intact, just a bit tired from arguing with doctors all day.  Not sure if he's still on injected methotrexate or whether they've put him on something else temporarily.  The bug was E.coli which is why they thought he might be a goner.  I was ready to give him a kidney (E.coli --> sepsis --> multiple organ failure starting with kidneys and lungs).

« Reply #43 on: 16 June, 2014, 08:50:09 pm »
Glad he's back & on the mend Roger.   Parents are a worry!  Sister & Mum are off to France next week, so Dad is worried about them, while I'm under instructions to keep an eye on him.  Knowing the daft old bugger he'll probably try to paint the outside of the house without telling anyone.    He's due for his first cataract op in a month as well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #44 on: 16 June, 2014, 09:01:24 pm »
Hope he waits till after the op. to choose the colour.