Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 281653 times)

Checked the weather before venturing out to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.  Warning of damaging winds in London’s famous London on Friday.  But is will be sunny for the early part of this afternoon.

Got soaked >:(
Mr Smith looked out of my office window and pronounced a soaking was imminent. I peered out and said 'Nah, it's not too bad'.
Apparently he spent much of his walk berating himself- why did I believe her, we all know she can't see for shit.
He got properly soaked. Sorry 'bout that.  :-[

ian

Doesn’t sound good.  If the roof blows off the Asbestos Palace the BEARS will be able to get in and raid the fridge.

That's true, it'll be like taking the lid off a tin. I'm more worried about killer squirrels and water ingress at the moment. I don't have a ladder big enough to reach the hole to cover it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Checked the weather before venturing out to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles.  Warning of damaging winds in London’s famous London on Friday.  But is will be sunny for the early part of this afternoon.

Got soaked >:(

Meanwhile, I ventured to Racist Tescos in spite of the forecast downpour.  A couple of episodes of threatening drips, and lost the rear light from the trailer when it hit a pothole as I swerved to avoid a patch of diesel[1], but fortunately I was able to recover the light before it got ran over and the rain held off until about 3 seconds after I arrived home.

[1] Last Tuesday was hoot-your-horns-at-cyclists-for-no-apparent-reason day.  Today seems to be leak-oil-all-over-the-road day.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
That will be a chunk of our facia, which is now on the driveway. Looks like a nice bit of rotten wood behind it too, hence the detachment. Better phone a grown-up.

I'll normally take on most tasks as DIY: masonry, joinery, electrical and plumbing, electrical appliance repairs etc etc.
A regular Jack-of-All-Trades.

But roofing is a no-go for me.
I need to GAMI for that shit.

They can peer up at a roof which is devoid of any distinguishing features to my untutored eye, from street level 3 streets away, and suck in through their teeth and mutter something that will certainly include the word 'thousand'.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Only people who are tired of life do their own roof repairs.  Miss von Brandenburg once tried to coax me up Neighbour Dave's long ladder to inspect the then recently replaced but leaking roof of Larrington Towers.  She failed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

The second of this week's storms is named after MrsC's late mother.

(Random enough?)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

That will be a chunk of our facia, which is now on the driveway. Looks like a nice bit of rotten wood behind it too, hence the detachment. Better phone a grown-up.

I'll normally take on most tasks as DIY: masonry, joinery, electrical and plumbing, electrical appliance repairs etc etc.
A regular Jack-of-All-Trades.

But roofing is a no-go for me.
I need to GAMI for that shit.

They can peer up at a roof which is devoid of any distinguishing features to my untutored eye, from street level 3 streets away, and suck in through their teeth and mutter something that will certainly include the word 'thousand'.

I don't do any DIY, so it's GAMI, but doubly so for ladders, plus some of the exposed wood looks a bit rotted around the edges, I assume from water ingress over the years, hence the detachment. Apparently, someone is coming tomorrow. Or Wednesday, he was going to call to confirm when he'd consulted his diary. Which he didn't, of course.

Forecast to be a wee bit windy down here on Friday.  Nothing we can do about the house, but it's managed 160 years so far. However, the middle cottage in the terrace has been re-roofed. It's had a scaffold erected from front to back, topped with a flat corrugated iron "roof" and plastic sheeting sides.  I hope they can get it at least partially removed before the prdicted 70mph gusts, which would blow any debris across the road onto the cars parked opposite.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I'm wondering how much of the general crap piled in my neighbour's garden will still be there come Saturday
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Winds like this happen a couple of times a year and we still carry on using recycling boxes and plastic bins. There's got to be a better solution.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Our bin is well-ballasted by all the rubbish that wasn't collected this morning...

I'm wondering how much of the general crap piled in my neighbour's garden will still be there come Saturday

Probably more importantly, how much of that crap will be in your garden come Saturday?  I have already noted a very large cardboard box has taken up temporary residence in my front garden.  Not sure which neighbour it’s from, but it will be the same house as has the nice new 55 inch tv.

I'm extremely pleased that Dudley etc will be missing me this time. Only have winds of up to 50mph to look forward to.

Rather fed up of the constant wet sleet and hail though. This time last year we had snow, proper snow, for a couple of months. OK, it mostly melted during the day, but every morning we woke up to a carpet of white.

I'm not the only one who is fed up. People born here are muttering about the weather.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
Dr Beardy (Mrs) dislikes wind, always has done, and so there is much muttering and gnashing of teeth to be endured by the Beardy.

Dr Beardy (Mrs) is further distressed because her plans to visit Master Beardy in THAT LONDON this weekend has been thrown into doubt. The Beardy is this suffering further haranguement and brickbats because THE WEATHER is obviously his fault.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
All lamps and lights on charge.  Candle stock checked.  Camping stove fuel checked.  Wood brought in.  Wind up radio found.

Ready.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
We only managed 80 kph gusts overnight, 75 at present.  We just took our 5k stroll to the next village and back: going was swift but the return was educational.  Not many folk abroad.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I'm extremely pleased that Dudley etc will be missing me this time...

Ditto.

Still fairly well-ventilated, thobut.

The wind woke me up at 4am this morning for the second day in a row. >:(

Schools closed here tomorrow (Swansea and Neath Port Talbot), and health board vaccination centres.  And, more to the point, tonight is supposed to be bin night - big bin night no less - but Eunice has put a stop to that as well.

It's beginning to feel a bit armageddony. If the power's out I may not be able to post tomorrow's Wordle. Oh! The humanity!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Just had a loud bang and a door knock blinkenlight alerting us to the migration of the neighbours' wheeliebin...

The Aussie was due to fly to Melbourne tomorrow.
She's not been home for six years.
Her flight has just been cancelled

Basil

• Help me!
Yes.  All schools closed here too.

It's beginning to feel a bit armageddony. If the power's out I may not be able to post tomorrow's Wordle. Oh! The humanity!

There's always a silver lining.   :thumbsup:  :demon:

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
The Aussie was due to fly to Melbourne tomorrow.
She's not been home for six years.
Her flight has just been cancelled

Ooh. I've expecting some Australians this weekend. I do hope their flight isn't bolloxed. Arriving Sunday, so fingers crossed.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Basil

• Help me!
If the bridges close, England will be cut off.  ;D  :demon:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Bin day tomorrow but it's probably not worth putting anything out.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.