Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 279696 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Not really directly weatherish, but I'd like to announce that the solstice has happened and, since 3.58pm, the sun has been on the up again. I do like the evenings getting lighter, even though it will be another month before we notice.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Boring fact nerds like me have to wheel out every year*: The earliest sunset happens about a week before the solstice, so for normal people who care mostly about evenings the shortest day has already happened.

If you care more about mornings, sunrise continues to get (very slightly) later for another week.

* And now so can you.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I was aware of that. The "we won't notice much for another month or so" still applies.

One of my dad's old sayings was "As the days lengthen, so the cold strengthens."
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Boring fact nerds like me have to wheel out every year*: The earliest sunset happens about a week before the solstice, so for normal people who care mostly about evenings the shortest day has already happened.

If you care more about mornings, sunrise continues to get (very slightly) later for another week.

* And now so can you.

I thought it was the other way around.  I may be wrong and can't be bottomed to check ATM.

Apologies if I'm wrong.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Ah, the joys of freezing rain. All the worst bits of snow and rain combined. >:(

16 degrees is forecast for the next few days in SE England with nights at 12!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Normal weather has been resumed, viz. 5 degrees and raining.  This is because I was going to ride to Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles this afternoon chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Brr
20220104_124307 by The Pingus, on Flickr
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Blowing a bit too :P
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Bright and cold here today. I much prefer this to the warmer weather with incessant rain we've had the last week or so (and so does my roof).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cold and bright here, too. It's nice to see blue sky again, even if I can't feel my toes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
There was a brief period yesterday afternoon where I was riding a bike under a blue sky and while I couldn't really feel my toes, they were at least pain-free.   :thumbsup:

Today it's much colder, and there's sufficient daylight that barakta has vetoed open curtains.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Just been de-manking the winter bike which has done a few club runs with zero maintenance.

This is an outside job, with the bike on a stand and stripped down.
The chain was as clarted that it took ages to find the quick link.

A several of flurries of snow came through.
I am now this: Frozen.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
I'm not surprised you're frozen! I got as far as the bins/garage and back and decided that was enough in that Baltic wind.

We have spent most of today clearing 4-5in of snow off the conifers and other evergreens before it freezes solid and rips the branches off. But the sun did shine.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
The Google Streetview car was about & about in December in the environs of Furryboottoon and you can see the effects of Storm Arwen. An example not far from the Igloo: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@57.1347371,-2.1811726,3a,60y,222.69h,74.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sM8k95B6TZoeqxwnH36JrvQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
Today I haz mowed the lawns at C Towers. Can't remember when I last did that in January.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
I usually start about late Feb - early March. Noticed yesterday that the grass has grow about an inch or so since late Nov. This means cutting wettish grass probably in 2 - 3 weeks' time. Bah!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
I'll be cutting mine this afternoon . I'll give it another couple of hours to dry out a bit.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

It's a bit windy out there!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
The tree-house tree is down.

It looks a lot like the E H Shepard drawing of the Wollery after the storm.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Observations at the new house part n:
It's a bit interesting watching planes coming in to land when it's this frikkin windy.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Nope  :hand:

nope by The Pingus, on Flickr

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Fubar is reporting loads more trees down, closed roads and power cuts. I guess a lot of trees were vulnerable after Arwen.

Our new shed is still standing  :thumbsup: