Author Topic: Pustules, cysts and other excrescences - not for the squeamish  (Read 6350 times)

Re: Pustules, cysts and other excrescences - not for the squeamish
« Reply #25 on: 23 August, 2016, 01:21:32 pm »
I had what I was told was a cyst on the top of my skull. While lying there as they removed it I was told that it wasn't a cyst but a Lipoma (fatty tumour). It's now grown back  >:(

I'm going to see if I can get it looked at again, but apparently lipoma removal is classed as cosmetic and they are reluctant to do it.

Ah well, they didn't even demur when I asked if it could be done again, 4 month wait which is fair enough for non essential surgery.   Getting my head sliced open on Monday & hopefully camping at Wing on Friday.

Well that's hopefully over & done with.   It took an hour,  the surgeon was saying it was unusually large & hard to get out as it was flattened against the skull.  Lots of exclamations of "its a monster " & "it's not giving up"! which didn't cheer me up.  Lots of tugging & cutting noises & apparently I bled a lot more than is usual (dentists have told me this as well).  All to a soundtrack of Gery Rafferty on the radio!

He showed me the thing in a jar afterwards,  looked like a circular bit of white plastic, though it was hard to see.   If it grows back again & I elect to have it removed again he recommends a general.

All the staff were excellent, I was chatting away with the surgeon throughout.  The surgeon was fairly relaxed at the thought of me cycling & camping at the weekend, the senior nurse less so...  she was also quite concerned when I told her I was walking 15 minutes back to the station for the train home.

I'm not to get my head wet until the stitches are removed in 11 days & have been told to sleep in an upright position & not to bend forward too much.

Are you going to make wing? Do you  want to borrow  an exped mat with a chair kit so you can sleep upright?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #26 on: 23 August, 2016, 01:28:37 pm »
Thanks for the offer Joan.

The sleeping upright advice was only for the first few days, so hopefully would be OK by the weekend.   I'm starting to fell a little stiff around the neck area though & am a bit reluctant to turn my head ? 

I'll see how I feel about Wing on Thursday or even Friday morning.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #27 on: 23 August, 2016, 01:37:42 pm »
I'm starting to fell a little stiff around the neck area though & am a bit reluctant to turn my head ? 

It's probably nothing, but if you get any sign of a fever to go with it, get thee to a quack immediately.

« Reply #28 on: 23 August, 2016, 01:52:47 pm »
I suspect it's just muscle tension.  If I move my head forwards I can feel the stitches pulling a bit.   After the last op on the same thing 10 years ago I had backache for a
week afterwards.

« Reply #29 on: 24 August, 2016, 01:16:53 pm »
I am with Helly on the washing business. So long as the wound is dry then the skin is sealed inside a few hours. The scab and underlying stuff is watertight very quickly. Washing wounds is a recommended way of reducing infection.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 24 August, 2016, 01:18:49 pm »
I suspect that "not washing" is an instruction for the benefit of those people who think washing a healing wound means "scrub thoroughly and slather with antiseptic".

They're also the ones who shouldn't be let near the Cochlear toothbrush (a device that was presumably invented by someone who'd worked in the zip department at Hilleberg).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 24 August, 2016, 01:27:59 pm »
My instructions were 'do not get your head wet'.

Teh Kim does not describe how I am accustomed to shampoo my locks.

I still cannot see how gentle washing, shampoo and drying with either a clean towel or warm air could cause any harm.

Given that we breathe through orifices in the head and are not aquatic, most people do not keep their heads in water, most of the time.

« Reply #32 on: 24 August, 2016, 01:42:08 pm »
The post op leaflet says to keep the wound clean & dry,  I was told not to get it wet in the shower.  I think cleaning the rest of my head with a damp cloth or wet wipes may be in order.  It's starting to feel greasy  :sick:

There has been minimal discomfort so far & I've not taken any painkillers.  No seepage or bleeding.     I put a hat on earlier to go outside in the sun & could feel that!  It's still pretty tender.

No discomfort in the neck & shoulders today,  I may have found a more comfortable position in which to sleep!

I've traded a lump for a "divot" as the surgeon described it.  The lipoma had displaced a lot of other tissue.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 25 August, 2016, 05:57:41 pm »
How about one of those Lycra 'skullcap' hats to provide a layer of cloth between your head and the world?

« Reply #35 on: 25 August, 2016, 06:53:35 pm »
A Buff is fine,  a Tilley is just a little too noticeable.     I went out earlier & walking on a hard surface means that each step generates a little pull & twinge! 

I still can't make my mind up about the weekend!  :-\   A low tent door & ceiling offers to many chances for "Ouch*" moments!

*other words are likely to be used...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 25 August, 2016, 08:24:32 pm »
Could someone lend you a tent-you-can-stand-up-in for the weekend?  I suspect Butterfly might have something suitable in her collection.  Or Wowbagger's Terra Nova Space Laser thing?  Unfortunately barakta and I will be using ours.

(If you're really not up to it, Wobbly John could assume your identity and not have to camp in a nearby ditch.)

« Reply #37 on: 25 August, 2016, 08:33:47 pm »
I've got the Shangri-La which should be big enough. 

Certainly if I decide not to come I'll let Wobbly John know. 

« Reply #38 on: 28 August, 2016, 10:44:31 pm »
Well a weekend of camping & cycling and the dressing has finally come adrift.

The wonderful Kim has recovered it for me with one of the spare dressings I was given, though I think a staple gun would have been useful for keeping it attached to my bonce.

« Reply #39 on: 02 September, 2016, 08:58:21 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 02 September, 2016, 09:01:45 pm »
Ah, that's looking a bit neater and less swollen (not to mention cleaner) than it did at the weekend.

« Reply #41 on: 02 September, 2016, 09:07:56 pm »
Ah, that's looking a bit neater and less swollen (not to mention cleaner) than it did at the weekend.

Thank you again for that.  I got an odd look from the lady taking the stitches out when I told her the dressing was done in the middle of a field.