Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 524970 times)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4825 on: 04 January, 2022, 09:31:04 pm »
Btw, I can fit 38s with 'guards on my Tripster or 45 naked. 700c. 👍

« Reply #4826 on: 04 January, 2022, 10:51:14 pm »
As in New Zealand Wiltshire and Ireland Bedfordshire?
If so sounds like a great idea for a ride
:thumbsup: New Zealand has been on my list of rides ever since i spotted it on Sat Nav in the car on the way to Wales once. Might even route via Marsh Gibbon in one direction, for old times sake.

In other news, it seems the ACME Grand is within Piss Taking tollerances in the Tippers house hold so that might just be my goal for 2022.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4827 on: 05 January, 2022, 09:01:19 am »
:thumbsup: New Zealand has been on my list of rides ever since i spotted it on Sat Nav in the car on the way to Wales once. Might even route via Marsh Gibbon in one direction, for old times sake.

In other news, it seems the ACME Grand is within Piss Taking tollerances in the Tippers house hold so that might just be my goal for 2022.

:thumbsup: I'm still chugging round the Flatish Grand route with Mrs Google, but it's flat, really, really flat: in the region of 3,000m climbing ... I reckon based on our pace on the lumpy 8.25 AAA route last year, I could afford a proper sleep stop each night. Next job on the list is to work out the possible sleep and control options for an info sheet.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4828 on: 05 January, 2022, 09:31:04 am »

:thumbsup: I'm still chugging round the Flatish Grand route with Mrs Google, but it's flat, really, really flat: in the region of 3,000m climbing ... I reckon based on our pace on the lumpy 8.25 AAA route last year, I could afford a proper sleep stop each night. Next job on the list is to work out the possible sleep and control options for an info sheet.

So this will be a new 1000km route?

« Reply #4829 on: 05 January, 2022, 09:50:06 am »
I'm still chugging round the Flatish Grand route with Mrs Google, but it's flat, really, really flat: in the region of 3,000m climbing ... I reckon based on our pace on the lumpy 8.25 AAA route last year, I could afford a proper sleep stop each night. Next job on the list is to work out the possible sleep and control options for an info sheet.

When I was looking at routing myself, I earmarked Northallerton for an early stop on the second day. I've got a hotel in mind that has a bar and restaurant. Then Oakham on day three.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4830 on: 05 January, 2022, 09:55:14 am »
I'm still chugging round the Flatish Grand route with Mrs Google, but it's flat, really, really flat: in the region of 3,000m climbing ... I reckon based on our pace on the lumpy 8.25 AAA route last year, I could afford a proper sleep stop each night. Next job on the list is to work out the possible sleep and control options for an info sheet.

When I was looking at routing myself, I earmarked Northallerton for an early stop on the second day. I've got a hotel in mind that has a bar and restaurant. Then Oakham on day three.
I'm actually thinking I might go all out and try this one on Fixed.

Similar thinking for me, push through the first night, long rest through the majority of the night on the Friday then some sleep on Saturday night with hopefully a 200ish left to do. That's with absolutely no checking of routes etc. done....just a plan...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4831 on: 05 January, 2022, 10:02:43 am »
Devoting holiday to cycling adventures could be an issue in 2022 as The Current Mrs R and I have many joint plans.  That said I have earmarked some days to cover ACME Goes Dutch.

So the idea of setting off on a Friday evening after work, pushing on through Friday night and Saturday, resting up on Saturday night and riding home on Sunday appeals.  I know 600k can be done in this sort of time frame, not surer about 1000k.

« Reply #4832 on: 05 January, 2022, 10:05:54 am »
As I am almost certainly not doing LEL (which was my original plan) and as I can no longer make the Dutch trip, I do need something to encourage me to back out awheel a bit more regularly.  The flatter ACME Grand sounds, well, grand.

I will probably ride the A&S just to make sure I have a reasonable pre-qualifier in the bag (and because it is my favourite event) then work towards the Grand.  Not sure about fixed, it's an option but, having invested a bit in my geared bikes this year, I feel I ought to use them for something more than a trip to the pub.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #4833 on: 05 January, 2022, 10:24:33 am »
Talking of ACME Goes Dutch, I found some footage of OD's pre-ride rally from our last big trip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq8QVGW78XU

Hopefully there will be similar numbers this year.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4834 on: 05 January, 2022, 10:34:41 am »
Talking of ACME Goes Dutch, I found some footage of OD's pre-ride rally from our last big trip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq8QVGW78XU

Hopefully there will be similar numbers this year.

;D

I actually have a Dutch colleague now, Romke, I'll see if he wants to come with us.

« Reply #4835 on: 05 January, 2022, 10:45:12 am »
You do look younger in that footage.  It's probably the orange crown and jacket.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #4836 on: 05 January, 2022, 10:51:15 am »

Similar thinking for me, push through the first night, long rest through the majority of the night on the Friday then some sleep on Saturday night with hopefully a 200ish left to do. That's with absolutely no checking of routes etc. done....just a plan...

My cycling mojo may be returning, I'm tempted, but in poor shape at the moment, work in progress.

I need regular sleep stops, so my plan would be to bivi every night and delete all train booking apps from my phone.

Keep up the good work Tomsk👍

felstedrider

« Reply #4837 on: 05 January, 2022, 11:24:30 am »

Bit of admin.  It's an 11am start on Thursday so you have to be back 2pm on Sunday.   I would err against leaving 200k for the last day.   On the last one I had 120k (St Neots to Witham) and was back by 11 with a 5am start.

« Reply #4838 on: 05 January, 2022, 11:57:08 am »

Bit of admin.  It's an 11am start on Thursday so you have to be back 2pm on Sunday.   I would err against leaving 200k for the last day.   On the last one I had 120k (St Neots to Witham) and was back by 11 with a 5am start.

I struggled to find anywhere obvious after Northallerton for the second night, without cycling too far into that night. That then makes for a long third day (I've assumed starting at circa 3am), and Oakham is where that day would end at around 8pm. So the final day would be another 3am start. It would be 180km, so a finish at around 1pm would be reasonable.

I could always ride faster, but I've assumed that won't happen!

« Reply #4839 on: 05 January, 2022, 12:06:06 pm »

Yeah, when I say the last day, I use the term day loosely.....

felstedrider

« Reply #4840 on: 05 January, 2022, 12:29:56 pm »

I struggled to find anywhere obvious after Northallerton for the second night, without cycling too far into that night. That then makes for a long third day (I've assumed starting at circa 3am), and Oakham is where that day would end at around 8pm. So the final day would be another 3am start. It would be 180km, so a finish at around 1pm would be reasonable.

I could always ride faster, but I've assumed that won't happen!

See, now I'm spending valuable work time playing with routes on Google maps.....

I'd be tempted to try to get to Pocklington by Friday night, riding straight through Thursday night.   That would let me have lunch at Mum's on Saturday (could possibly leave a change of kit there) and then aim to get to Chatteris by Saturday night, leaving a bit over 100k for Sunday morning and a fry up at the finish.   If you draw a straight line from Newmarket to Witham it would not come through the village as opposed to the old Grand - I'm not sure if that's a benefit or not.

« Reply #4841 on: 05 January, 2022, 12:42:41 pm »
Northallerton is approx 550km, and Pocklington at approx 630km. With an 11am start, I think 630km would mean pushing to much into the night after riding through the first night. Ideally I would like to aim for something between the 2 places, but I couldn't see anything obvious on the route (I think I checked Travelodge and Premier Inn options). With that choice, I would opt for the earlier stop and get up early ... but then I'm a morning person so that suits me.

Tomsk will probably be along at some stage and suggest something different.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4842 on: 05 January, 2022, 12:43:17 pm »
Is this the flat grand route, where is it listed, I may have missed the post??
Regards,

Joergen

felstedrider

« Reply #4843 on: 05 January, 2022, 12:48:09 pm »

It's not official yet so I just plugged the control list from the AUK website into Google Maps.

felstedrider

« Reply #4844 on: 05 January, 2022, 12:51:31 pm »
Northallerton is approx 550km, and Pocklington at approx 630km. With an 11am start, I think 630km would mean pushing to much into the night after riding through the first night. Ideally I would like to aim for something between the 2 places, but I couldn't see anything obvious on the route (I think I checked Travelodge and Premier Inn options). With that choice, I would opt for the earlier stop and get up early ... but then I'm a morning person so that suits me.

Tomsk will probably be along at some stage and suggest something different.

I can get round the Flatlands in 36hrs with an 8hr overnight stop.   Riding straight through makes me think that Pocklington is do-able by 9pm Friday.   I am basing this on the fitness I had 2 years ago when I was also a stone lighter, though, so there is some work to do.

« Reply #4845 on: 05 January, 2022, 12:58:29 pm »

It's not official yet so I just plugged the control list from the AUK website into Google Maps.

I put together a draft RwGPS route, essentially to check that it could be ridden without using main roads. It can be done, with a distance of 1050km. I suspect that this could be reduced, but wasn't going to spend time on it until I saw Tomsk's route.

I can get round the Flatlands in 36hrs with an 8hr overnight stop.   Riding straight through makes me think that Pocklington is do-able by 9pm Friday.   I am basing this on the fitness I had 2 years ago when I was also a stone lighter, though, so there is some work to do.

I think that explains the difference. I optimise to see the scenery at a slower pace!

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4846 on: 05 January, 2022, 04:15:34 pm »
I've yet to give serious thought to overnight accomodation options, but since it's flatter, a higher average speed than last year should be achievable. I'm leaning towards three nights:

1) Markham Moor (Travelodge near Retford, on the A1)
2) Pocklington (there's a motel on the A1079 bypass, just off the route) or Goole (Glews, also just off the route), also a Travelodge on the northern outskirts of York
3) and the final night in either Peterborough Premier Inn or the Green Welly, Chatteris.

I'll research a range of options after I've finished the draft route sheet and finessed the bonus kilometres and main-road variants. I'm seriously thinking of riding a tour over about a week to check things in more detail in the spring. I have some cycleroute ideas including some of the Green Wheel through Peterborough and a bit of COR here and there.

« Reply #4847 on: 06 January, 2022, 10:43:54 am »
Apologies for intruding on the ACME Grand dedicated thread.

Five Go Wild in Totham

A cold night in January in the teeth of Omicron was never going to bring out numbers so it was pleasing to arrive at the Swan at Totham and find another four misguided souls. The Famous Witham Peloton had managed to pull together Doc Brown (retd.), OD and Huggy and had been joined by Ravey Davey Gravy - I knew he was there from the moment I arrived, who else uses glow sticks instead of bike lights ?

The Swan was pleasingly busy, no doubt helped by the local lake fishermen having their annual meeting in the other bar.  It also remains one of the cheaper venues for sampling decent ales.  They now have three taps running but our favourite dessert ale is still in bottles - a fact which somehow escaped the refined palate of head brewer Huggy.  An inquorate Quaffers' Choice Committee sampled Crouch Vale's Brewers Gold, St Austell's Tribute, Mighty Oak's Captain Bob and (for dessert) Mighty Oak's Oscar Wilde Mild.  Doc Brown (retd.) is finally showing some signs of progress.   "It tastes exactly the same to me" he opined while drinking his second sample of exactly the same ale.  Such insight !  I had my revenge for his previous failings later on when I accidentally threw a pint of Oscar Wilde Mild at him.

The formal business of inventing the new Epi festival out of the way, we turned our attention to seeing if we could shorten some other potential adventures into something manageable - I had got slightly carried away earlier in the day in this very parish looking at the older boys discussing the ACME Grand and how many hours sleep they could manage before realising I would not have time for anything beyond a quick nap in a ditch while slogging round 1000km at an ever-slower pace. OD's idea of a weekend adventure starting with an overnight ride on the Friday was soon refined into riding somewhere on a Saturday morning to spend an evening carousing in a hostelry somewhere else, sleeping in a hotel and riding back the next day (possibly using the train for most of the return journey).  That's the kind of adventure we can all get enthusiastic about.  Ravey did suggest adding some COR to make it a bit harder before he got distracted by the beeping till which he insisted was actually a Seb Fontaine remix from the early '90s scene as he shuffled round the pub with his hands very much in the air.

It wasn't long before Ravey was putting his oversized hat on and preparing to leave.  He was headed to a field somewhere in Hampshire for an allnighter. The icy blast as he opened the door made us all realise we were in for a cold haul home (if you can call dawdling 9k back to Witham a haul - I bet their Garmins hadn't even cooled down from being indoors before they were home, some of us had nearly 20km of flat roads to negotiate).  We all decided the best thing to do in the circumstances was sample another ale and annoy the staff by appearing to call the barmaid the name we use for the person in charge of the kitty.  According to her, the correct term is, in fact, wench.  Wait until we tell the Hustler.

Naturally the further sample was to have consequences.  I still shudder to think how unnecessary the whole episode was but I can't turn back time.  Basically, the FWP had synched into their celebrated three musketeers formation but I had engaged Doc Brown (retd.) in a technical discussion so the arrow was missing its point.  As soon as I saw OD and Huggy's furious faces, I realised my grave error and sped off into the night leaving Doc Brown (retd.) to face the music. I hope his inevitable ban is a short one but I fear for his prospects of ever making the FWP Grand Circle now.

Despite it being minus 2, it was a beautiful starlit ride home with only two cars for the whole journey.  If I had gone to bed straight away, instead of staying up for a while to watch England toiling in the 4th Test, it would have been a glorious end to a good evening.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4848 on: 06 January, 2022, 11:21:01 am »
ted, you forgot to mention the forthcoming nuptials.  I won't mention any names at this stage as someone needs to pop the question to someone else now that we've all decided it's a good idea cos basically we fancy staging a stag night  ;D

« Reply #4849 on: 06 January, 2022, 11:48:06 am »
I just didn't think it was my news to announce and, as you say, that person has a bit of admin to deal with first.

Where do you fancy for the stag - Lowestoft looks nice ?