Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520740 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4850 on: 06 January, 2022, 11:58:55 am »
I just didn't think it was my news to announce and, as you say, that person has a bit of admin to deal with first.

Where do you fancy for the stag - Lowestoft looks nice ?

Lowestoft is a natural choice  :thumbsup:

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #4851 on: 06 January, 2022, 12:15:25 pm »
Beer wench is a weekend thing.

« Reply #4852 on: 06 January, 2022, 01:06:28 pm »
OD's idea of a weekend adventure starting with an overnight ride on the Friday was soon refined into riding somewhere on a Saturday morning to spend an evening carousing in a hostelry somewhere else, sleeping in a hotel and riding back the next day (possibly using the train for most of the return journey).  That's the kind of adventure we can all get enthusiastic about.  Ravey did suggest adding some COR to make it a bit harder

Whatever happened to the Peddars Way adventure?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4853 on: 06 January, 2022, 01:25:30 pm »
I still fancy that.  Spring might be better.  It is more of a day trip though - as Bobb would say, a micro adventure  :demon:

You rode most of it last year didn't you ?

I know someone who added on most of the Icknield Way and made it a multi-day thing. It looked pretty mixed but good fun.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4854 on: 06 January, 2022, 01:47:47 pm »
I still fancy that.  Spring might be better.  It is more of a day trip though - as Bobb would say, a micro adventure  :demon:

I know someone who added on most of the Icknield Way and made it a multi-day thing. It looked pretty mixed but good fun.

No Peddars Way needn't just be a day thing.  In days gone by me, Oaky, Wobbly John and Tomsk did PW on a Saturday, camped Saturday night then ventured home on Sunday.  If memory serves on the Sunday we rode along the coast to Sheringham were we hopped on a train.  It was a smashing weekend.

Thinking about it, I'd love to do California again.  That was a proper adventure.  We did 190 miles in one go with bikes loaded with camping gear, I'd never gone that far before and ended up in a very sorry state  ;D

« Reply #4855 on: 06 January, 2022, 01:53:24 pm »

Yes, riding from home. Just missed out the last few km as I turned back south for Kings Lynn and the train home.

There were 2 sections on your original route to be updated as they were impassable and required detours. One involved a power station, and the other a live firing range. It seemed the right thing to do in avoiding these.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4856 on: 06 January, 2022, 01:58:15 pm »
no sense of adventure

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4857 on: 06 January, 2022, 02:00:55 pm »
no sense of adventure

Words plucked from my lips!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #4858 on: 06 January, 2022, 05:37:09 pm »
Bless my soul, I've just entered ted's Oyster.  According to AUK's website the last Audax I completed was the 100k Don't Keep to the Road in Yorkshire on 29th April 2017  :thumbsup:

« Reply #4859 on: 06 January, 2022, 05:39:35 pm »
I thought there must be another ACME rider called Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge when I saw your name on the start list.

How exciting.

« Reply #4860 on: 06 January, 2022, 06:33:30 pm »
Depending on when I  would be interested in riding the peddlers way in the spring. I have a tricon gr trike with 26-wheels arriving in February. I am of course slow but I am game  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #4861 on: 06 January, 2022, 11:45:23 pm »
Bless my soul, I've just entered ted's Oyster.  According to AUK's website the last Audax I completed was the 100k Don't Keep to the Road in Yorkshire on 29th April 2017  :thumbsup:

What is this? Still can't find anything on the Audax site.

Still, those icons look amazing!

« Reply #4862 on: 07 January, 2022, 02:43:57 am »
Try the Kelvedon Oyster, as discussed in the Winter Series thread.

« Reply #4863 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:05:54 am »

felstedrider

« Reply #4864 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:27:41 am »
Try the Kelvedon Oyster, as discussed in the Winter Series thread.

Many thanks  :thumbsup:

While we're on this.   The GPS file is dated Jan 20 and I believe that the route has changed.   Best to wait before downloading ?

« Reply #4865 on: 07 January, 2022, 09:29:36 am »
Many thanks for the heads-up! :-)

« Reply #4866 on: 07 January, 2022, 11:13:23 am »
Snotty Gilbert and Dr Gilbert have entered :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Team put down as "ACME" - I'm sure we can sort out the finer details later.

Do we want an ACME LEL Thread?

Happy New Year, people!

And suddenly LEL entry is upon us, from 07/01/22. Who's up for it and what time are you thinking of starting? I'm probably going for the last group as in 2017 - this time though I believe that's 13:00, but we have until April to decide and to arrange team entry?
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

« Reply #4867 on: 07 January, 2022, 11:43:18 am »
Kelvedon Oyster route is the same.  I just need a weather window and some time to ride a route check but it won't change.

« Reply #4868 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:04:43 pm »

Oops  :o

« Reply #4869 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:23:34 pm »

What is this? Still can't find anything on the Audax site.

Still, those icons look amazing!

I have found in the past the anvils series ride one comes under a different region in the search function

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #4870 on: 07 January, 2022, 12:40:17 pm »

Happy New Year, people!

And suddenly LEL entry is upon us, from 07/01/22. Who's up for it and what time are you thinking of starting? I'm probably going for the last group as in 2017 - this time though I believe that's 13:00, but we have until April to decide and to arrange team entry?

I'm in too!
I put my team as Audax Club Mid Essex (ACME) so hopefully they can figure it out :).

ACME LEL thread sounds like a good idea.
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4871 on: 07 January, 2022, 05:25:38 pm »
ACME LEL thread sounds like a good idea.

Done it! (Over in Audax) ...

Let's not get too excited just yet - one step at a time, starting with the Oyster on 15th January. And Easter Arrows; SRs; assorted other long rides etcetera.

« Reply #4872 on: 07 January, 2022, 06:00:36 pm »

No Peddars Way needn't just be a day thing.  In days gone by me, Oaky, Wobbly John and Tomsk did PW on a Saturday, camped Saturday night then ventured home on Sunday.  If memory serves on the Sunday we rode along the coast to Sheringham were we hopped on a train.  It was a smashing weekend.

Thinking about it, I'd love to do California again.  That was a proper adventure.  We did 190 miles in one go with bikes loaded with camping gear, I'd never gone that far before and ended up in a very sorry state  ;D

If you do Peddars Way and decide to spend your last night (after finishing) in Old Hunstanton.  There are some beach huts with decking in the sand dunes.  Just below the public car park near a nice pub (short walk from pub) as well. We ended up bivvying on the decking when we did Peddars way a number of years back. Woke to a murmuration of starlings in the pre dawn light.

« Reply #4873 on: 14 January, 2022, 11:57:12 am »
I am short of a controller for Pebmarsh tomorrow.  The control is open from 10.04 to 11.25 so it could suit a couple of ACME riders in a relay or an ACME person not riding tomorrow.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4874 on: 15 January, 2022, 11:06:28 pm »
I am short of a controller for Pebmarsh tomorrow.  The control is open from 10.04 to 11.25 so it could suit a couple of ACME riders in a relay or an ACME person not riding tomorrow.
Sorry only just seen this, bit late now I guess!
Regards,

Joergen