Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 262307 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #3000 on: 14 January, 2022, 05:38:04 pm »
Quite flammable too I think.  Defo best used outside.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

• camera nazi
« Reply #3001 on: 14 January, 2022, 08:50:32 pm »
One of the things I really miss about the lab is the smell of organic solvents in the morning.
Authoritarian Thought Leader, the Pol Pot of Powerpoint, the Stalin of Spreadsheets

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3002 on: 14 January, 2022, 08:58:34 pm »
I don't miss the headaches.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

ian

• camera nazi
« Reply #3003 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:10:04 pm »
If you drink them I'm reliably informed they go away.

I'm trying to remember my favourite. I went off toluene and it was omnipresent in scintillation fluid. Esters and ethers were always fun. I hated dimethylsulfoxide, but who can resist the finger test. Pyridine, yuk, as per any of the thiols, and polyamines (you can probably guess what spermine and putrescine smell like).

My PhD supervisor was a bit mad and we banned his favourite hobby of paper chromatography (which involves giant tanks of solvent), so he took those huge tanks into his tiny office where he could recreate the best experiments of 1948 in peace. He didn't get many visitors.
Authoritarian Thought Leader, the Pol Pot of Powerpoint, the Stalin of Spreadsheets

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3004 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:38:17 pm »
...paper chromatography (which involves giant tanks of solvent)...

In basically a large cupboard at the top of the building with no ventilation  :demon:

ian

• camera nazi
« Reply #3005 on: 14 January, 2022, 09:57:17 pm »
To be fair, I think he was having more fun than we were in the HPLC room with boring old TCA and acetonitrile.

MALDI-TOF MS had boring solvents too, but it did feature a big nitrogen laser and a button that said REFLECTRON mode (it turned on an ion mirror which sounds far more fun than the reality).