Author Topic: Average riding speed and body weight  (Read 9760 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Average riding speed and body weight
« Reply #50 on: 11 April, 2022, 11:35:49 am »
Wow, interesting post.  I can see me being in this position fairly soon.  Is there a reason you didn't go for a conversion kit for the Thorn, a front wheel Cytronex say?

Those bottle-sized batteries would only give you a few miles’ help. You would be forever looking for somewhere to charge up and I had enough of that with the first Nissan Leaf! You couldn't do a day rise on it.

I did 122k on a 259 Wh bottle battery the other day, with the charge meter still showing 3 bars out of 5 when I got home.  Cytronex are a bit coy about their capacity but it sounds similar.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Average riding speed and body weight
« Reply #51 on: 11 April, 2022, 12:22:51 pm »
There's a big variety in the amount of help you are likely to get from a battery. I'm fat and slow so will need more help. Bosch have a "range assistant" which will help you calculate how far you are likely to be able to cycle.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/service/range-assistant

There are plenty of variables in there but it's probably the best stab that currently exists for predicting the range.

If your normal speed is not far short of 15mph, then a battery will last you a long time - and is probably unnecessary anyway.

I didn't keep hold of the full details of my 38 mile ride of 17th March, but I do recall trying really hard to keep my average speed for the ride over 9mph. Compare that to yesterday's ride when the return trip was 45k and I averaged 19.5kph.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.