Author Topic: Most expensive production bike  (Read 2905 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Most expensive production bike
« on: 17 August, 2022, 07:39:55 pm »
Inspired by some "is cycling Tory / dentists on Pinarellos" chat on Twitter, what is the most expensive production bike you can buy in the UK (so not custom build or vintage?)

Are they worth it?

How much would you spend on a bike if money was no object?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Re: Most expensive production bike
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2022, 10:01:02 pm »
The top "Double Pylon" stainless steel Moulton is around £20k now. I have the first one sold in the UK 16 years ago for about a third of that, though the net cost to me was considerably less after selling a previous Moulton and reclaiming the VAT for a "business bike". Its s/h value now is around £10k; there are few bikes that appreciate in value!

It's a lovely bike which rides and handles very well, but not ten times better than a Bridgestone Moulton which cost £1500 when new and is almost as good to ride.

So I consider myself fortunate to own it, but wouldn't spend that much on a bike today.

(The "pylons" are space frame structures in place of the seat and steering tubes).

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 18 August, 2022, 08:07:59 am »
Top of the range Trek Madone is £13,800. That seems to be about the going rate for a dentist's bike these days.

But I can’t imagine anyone spending that much is going to be happy with stock options, so your dentist is going to want to add fancy wheels, another £3k at least, and a power meter, another £1k? Pedals, bottle cages, Garmin - that’s another £1k…

I wouldn’t be averse to spending that kind of money on a bike if I had it, but I certainly wouldn’t be buying a standard production bike for that much.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 18 August, 2022, 12:30:11 pm »
Do velomobiles count?  There not cheap.  But they're practically custom builds by default...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 18 August, 2022, 06:08:17 pm »
A Snoek is ~ €8000 though presumably that’s before the Brexit Bonuses are applied.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 18 August, 2022, 06:42:55 pm »
UCI rules say track cycling bikes used in competition must be available to buy. Seems the latest GB Olympic bike is about £15K for the frame, plus £2K per wheel.
https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/team-gbs-olympic-track-bikes-now-for-sale-with-a-huge-price-tag/

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2022, 10:10:18 am »
They’re not really production bikes, they’re prototypes that are available to order by the general public for delivery at an undetermined date at a price that if you need to know it, you can’t afford it.

Having said that, I don’t know if other countries that do well on the track are also having their bikes made this way or they are using actual ready to buy production bikes. Either way, the British bikes are not as all conquering as they are made out to be.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2022, 10:16:38 am »
Several countries use Argon 18 track bikes with various handlebars. They seem to be off-the-shelf machines, possibly with custom layups for some. https://www.argon18.com/en/stories/thisismyride-louis-pijourlet
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #8 on: 19 August, 2022, 05:13:33 pm »
A Snoek is ~ €8000 though presumably that’s before the Brexit Bonuses are applied.
That would be the starting price, and excluding VAT. Don't ask me how I know  ;D

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #9 on: 15 September, 2022, 11:06:40 am »
There is one good thing about the price of the most expensive production.  It allows me to justify to Mrs CET that the cost of all the bikes I have bought combined is less than the price of the latest single machine.  That allows more headroom for N+1 and N+1+1.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2022, 12:00:27 pm »
BMC do a road bike for about 15 grand don't they? My car cost £120.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #11 on: 15 September, 2022, 01:09:24 pm »
The Milan and Bülk come in at over 12,000€ once you’ve added the necessary options (indicators!)

The Velomobiel.nl products are a bit cheaper but still around 10k for a Quattrovelo. I’m surprised the Snoek is only 8k.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 15 September, 2022, 01:34:53 pm »
Heard a sum of 14k US for one or other of the production VMs the other day.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #13 on: 15 September, 2022, 03:50:39 pm »
If I bought my Milan again, with motor, it would be the wrong side of 15k EUR.

So I am not buying it again, I am sticking with my current one.

My car, on the other hand, which is technically a Daimler and only 4 years older than my Milan, cost me 4.000 € and works really well. (Smart Cabrio)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #14 on: 20 September, 2022, 08:22:47 pm »
I definitely have more money tied up in bikes than in my car, but then I do probably twice the mileage on my bikes
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens