Author Topic: Rice cookers - cheapo or splash out a bit?  (Read 10596 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Rice cookers - cheapo or splash out a bit?
« Reply #50 on: 18 December, 2023, 04:49:45 pm »
Anyone used the porridge function on theirs?

Mine does not state such a function (It's got 3 modes, boil, warm and off), but I am intrugied.

I did a bit more research and it appears the porridge function is only for use with water, as you'll make a boiled over foamy mess if you use milk, at which point I lost interest.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #51 on: 19 December, 2023, 09:53:57 am »
I shall open with a reassurance that I'm not being a snotty ratbag - this is a genuine question, not a disparagement.

What's the point of a rice cooker?

They do some clever stuff with magnets so they stop cooking at exactly the moment the rice is correctly cooked:
https://youtu.be/RSTNhvDGbYI

Good vid.  We have a basic Russell Hobbs version. 

----

With a previous rice cooker I put a layer of bubble wrap under the bowl for moving house once, then forgot it was still there at next use....  :facepalm:

Some friends use to make a great Persian dish in their rice cooker, where a golden ricey crust (Tahdig) around the pan develops; accompanied with minty yoghurt etc. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #52 on: 19 December, 2023, 10:43:36 am »
Ooh, smelly plastic stickiness!

I did porridge in ours once. It made a mess  ::-).
Pen Pusher

ian

« Reply #53 on: 19 December, 2023, 09:27:59 pm »
Not really sure the benefit of doing porridge in a rice cooker, it's five minutes on the hob (don't be a bad'un and use the microwave, it needs to simmer for a few minutes to thicken properly).

I can see the value of a rice cooker if you live off rice and have the preference for sticky Asian rice types, not convinced for westerners.

Tahdig is awesome, though I will say my attempts and never come close to the real deal. I think they use all the butter and more fire than I dare.

« Reply #54 on: 20 December, 2023, 03:12:05 pm »

I can see the value of a rice cooker if you live off rice and have the preference for sticky Asian rice types, not convinced for westerners.

This. For a family who each have 120g of rice at each of three meals a day, yes, they make sense, but for the odd curry, even for a large number, meh.

A multi-cooker that also does rice makes more sense.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #55 on: 20 December, 2023, 08:47:28 pm »
Of course you can make rice porridge (congee)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #56 on: 21 December, 2023, 01:15:32 pm »
The main advantage I'm seeing with the basic rice cooker over a pan on gas is I don't have to watch it.

ian

« Reply #57 on: 21 December, 2023, 07:39:29 pm »
The main advantage I'm seeing with the basic rice cooker over a pan on gas is I don't have to watch it.

If you use roughly the right amount of liquid, boil it for a few minutes, turn off the heat, put the lid on and come back 20ish minutes later.

« Reply #58 on: 21 December, 2023, 10:44:13 pm »

If you use roughly the right amount of liquid, boil it for a few minutes, turn off the heat, put the lid on and come back 20ish minutes later.
I tried that. I just ended up with cold, half cooked rice.

« Reply #59 on: 27 December, 2023, 05:45:16 pm »

You have to watch it because you have to turn off the heat at the right moment, which is when all the water has been absorbed.

ian

« Reply #60 on: 27 December, 2023, 10:36:25 pm »
5-6 mins for basmati, I find. 10-12 for long grain. Yes, most of the liquid should be gone. Give a quick warm at the end if it’s cooled.

It seems my superpower is cooking rice perfectly with minimal thought. I’m also good at guessing the correct time. I’m a very mundane superhero.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #61 on: 11 January, 2024, 11:05:49 am »

And with a less basic one you can put the rice and water in, set the timer and go for a walk or bike ride comforted by the knowledge that perfectly-cooked rice will be ready when you return :smug:.
Pen Pusher

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #62 on: 11 January, 2024, 10:20:04 pm »
I think the other advantage of that is you can also set a timer on the stuff that's going with the rice so it finishes nicely too, assuming of course it's either oven or microwave based.

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

« Reply #63 on: 18 January, 2024, 04:15:29 pm »

You have to watch it because you have to turn off the heat at the right moment, which is when all the water has been absorbed.
Listen to the pan. When it goes quiet (no water actively boiling), you can turn it off.

This depends on having a pan lid that seals well. We have several cast iron pans that do a very good job.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #64 on: 18 January, 2024, 06:40:54 pm »
Whether you prefer sight or sound, both require being in the kitchen.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #65 on: 21 January, 2024, 11:54:55 pm »
I experimented today microwaving white basmati rice - a technique advocated by Rukmini Iyer.

Instead of 200g of rice, I used 217g so as to empty the storage jar. In a suitable sized Pyrex bowl the rice was gently swilled in clean cold water 4 times, then drained before covering with a smidge under 400ml of boiling water. The bowl having no lid was covered in cling film, pierced 3 times. The appliance, set @800W was timed for 11 minutes and subsequently left to stand for 10 minutes. It produced perfect plain rice after sufficient fork fluffing.

Easy :thumbsup:

ETA I never did buy a posh rice cooker after starting this thread. The cheapo one packed up and I eventually bought another last week, but it was immediately faulty on the first try, so returned. But am now happy with microwaving and tight lidded saucepan stove topping methods with success. (I never cook more than 250g rice at any one go)