Author Topic: Local knowledge please : Perth, Scotland  (Read 1462 times)

bairn again

Local knowledge please : Perth, Scotland
« on: 19 October, 2020, 04:00:30 pm »
Does anybody on here know if there's somewhere in/around Perth that's open overnight where its possible to get indoors for a hot drink / fill a flask? 

I used the BP petrol station on Dunkeld Road earlier this year and used their Costa self service machine but it was only about 11pm.  It struck me as a 24/7 kind of place but it might switch to hatch service overnight in which case they might be reluctant to sell hot drinks.  The non McDonalds bit of the services at Broxden perhaps?   

Im toying with a 200 this weekend but need to back in Edinburgh by lunchtime Saturday so weather permitting I'm thinking of an overnighter Fri / Sat passing through Perth (approaching from Madderty and exiting towards Bridge of Earn).   

Not having numerous Maccy Ds reliably open overnight is a right bind!

Cheers   

Re: Local knowledge please : Perth, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: 21 October, 2020, 07:10:12 pm »
I think that the BP garage you mentioned, and the one at the other (Inveralmond) end of Dunkeld Road, and the Esso next to the Tesco on Edinburgh Rd (leaving town in Bridge or Earn direction) are all 24 hour but likely to be hatch service in the wee hours.

I don’t think any of the big supermarkets are open 24 hours at the moment.

There aren’t any hidden back street greasy spoons staying open all night for taxi drivers (or other participants in the night time economy) or anything like that I can think of - just places that open early for workies picking up bacon rolls, or kebab shops etc. that might still be open past midnight on a Friday.

So yes, I think Broxden’s your best bet. I don’t know for sure if the shop at the filling station (used to be a Spar, is now a Budgens) will be open to walk in, but I would have thought so.

Google reckons that although the Dunkeld Rd McDonald’s is closed overnight, the Broxden one is open 24 hours, and McDonald’s own website agrees.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #2 on: 21 October, 2020, 07:17:19 pm »
McDonald's might be drive thru and delivery only after 6pm; even if the servery is open between 6pm and 6am the seating shouldn't be in order to meet non-plague zone rules.
McDelivery is available up to 1.5mi away so...

bairn again

« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2020, 10:38:26 pm »
Thanks lads.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2020, 09:30:03 am »
Good luck

If it turns out you're not allowed inside at either McDonald's or the filling station, you can at least get some shelter from the elements at the park and ride / Megabus interchange

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2020, 01:04:38 pm »
Esso Broxden is definitely your best chance of being able to walk in after 11pm - from memory, it's not laid out in a format that could switch over to hatch service.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 22 October, 2020, 05:29:48 pm »
If you look closely at the GSV image
https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3879687,-3.4794951,3a,15y,178.12h,88.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-2zEPm0ahiYVQ2DoxgS-bg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

There does appear to be a night hatch at the counter area.

Most petrol stations still seem to install them even though very few actually use them at night.

bairn again

« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2020, 06:46:50 pm »
https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3879687,-3.4794951,3a,15y,178.12h,88.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-2zEPm0ahiYVQ2DoxgS-bg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Most petrol stations still seem to install them even though very few actually use them at night.

This reminds me. 

As a sixth year & student circa 1984-1986 I worked night shifts at a petrol station on the outskirts of Falkirk outside term time.    4 nights on, 4 nights off, so weekends came round and were, ahem, interesting.

It was hatch service only after 2200 and by the wee small hours there were many hungry revellers who had missed the takeaways.  Sandwiches and confectionery very popular. 

The highlight was the guy who wanted a pot noodle.  After a bit of discussion we established that he didnt want to take it away dry but instead he wanted me to make it up for him using the staff kettle.  I was happy to do so but told him we didnt have cutlery.  “Aye nae problem neebour I’ll just eat it with ma hauns”.  I think he was from Camelon.

After that I bought some wooden cutlery and made a wee sign that I put up at the hatch about about 1am to say that Pot noodles were available to take away made up, priced to cover my costs and a modest profit margin. 

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #8 on: 22 October, 2020, 08:25:27 pm »
The one station I do know uses the hatch after 2300hrs is Dreghorn Shell.
I charged in at 2256hrs on night on the way home from one of MegaJoules's rides and dived directly into the lavatory.
On reappearing around 2310 I was ahem chastised by the staff with "The door gets locked at eleven".

The Shell station next to the polis station in Dundee has been using the hatch recently though.

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
« Reply #9 on: 22 October, 2020, 10:07:45 pm »

I agree regarding the GSV, but the last time I was in, the tills were at the back of the shop, so there'd be no means of payment at the hatch. The area where the hatch is was set up as a cafe area, which obviously won't be in use. But it could have changed...