Author Topic: Inkjet cartridge not recognised...  (Read 6072 times)

Inkjet cartridge not recognised...
« on: 18 October, 2012, 09:00:49 pm »
Ok, I have a lower end Epson SX435 (allinone) injet, and am using generic (3rd party) cartridges off amazon.  For some reason even with 2/3 of ink left in the cartridge, the printer is rejecting cartridges mid-print, when they've been working for weeks.  Any ideas?  I've tried leaving the printer off for a couple of mins, or turning off before replacing the offending cartridge - but this doesn't seem to work.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Inkjet cartridge not recognised...
« Reply #1 on: 18 October, 2012, 09:04:40 pm »
Andy, I had this on my Canon Pixma, last night.  I use re-cycled cartridges and this time the printer said it didn't recognise the cartridge.  It turned out I hadn't clipped it in properly.  I'm guessing from your post that you've eliminated that?  Couldn't be working loose?

« Reply #2 on: 18 October, 2012, 09:32:00 pm »
Had this with my SX535WD at the weekend.  Magenta genuinely ran out and told me.  Next day all but black were unrecognised. Removed, reseated etc to no avail.  Align check, head clean etc.  Threw the lot in the bin and fitted a full new set - all ok.  It also happened to an earlier SX525 that tried my patience so much that I scrapped it.  With the 525 I even resorted to paying full price for genuine Epson but still didn't work.  My 535 seems to have settled down again.

« Reply #3 on: 20 October, 2012, 12:08:10 pm »
I ended up with the two cartridges I had to remove, resealing them with HD Cellotape to keep, and see if they work when the next cartridge moans...  Probably just try another make next time to see if any better.  I wonder if the chip on the cartridge has any writeable memory - such that the printer will always reject it once removed?

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #4 on: 25 October, 2012, 08:22:12 am »
I gather some (definitely some HP ones) have date chips in them, and wonder if the recycled ones aren't reset?  I recently bought a new HP 111 roll feed printer, and thought I'd best get a spare set of cartridges in stock (genuine, as its under warranty, I know what HP are like for trying to wriggle out).  £101+vat!   Aaaargh!  I use genuine ones in my Canon ip4500, as I use it for photos, but as soon as the big HP one is out of warranty, its going onto cheapos, I do not care about the accuracy of its colour rendition, and most of the time its doing black only, anyway.
Wombat

« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2012, 08:55:29 am »
I have resorted to buying genuine Canon through Amazon simply because the aftermarket stuff has seen to the demise of two previous printers.   There is nothing worse than not being able to print when I have client correspondence to get in the post.

« Reply #6 on: 10 November, 2012, 01:53:36 pm »
I worked out why our cartridges are being rejected...

The cartridge instructions say that the ink levels will not be detected by the printer (because they non Epson), and when they run out of ink this will prompt a "cartridge not recognised" message.  This isn't true, because the printer makes up a bogus ink level, and then says it's run out when cartridge is still 1/2 - 2/3 full.  I've tried replacing an old rejected cartridge but this doesn't work - so my guess is that the printer keeps a record of cartridge ids, a kind of blacklist.

I wonder if there's a way of making the printer forget previous cartridges?

edit.  also wondering, because I used the Epson starter low volume cartridges to begin with, the printer thinks all the cartridge volumes are the same.

« Reply #7 on: 10 November, 2012, 04:05:18 pm »
I usually refill genuine Canon cartridges about three times when the printer then demands a new set. I use Linux which cannot decipher ink levels so perhaps the printer knows when cartridges are older than they should be? A new set has always made it happy again.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #8 on: 10 November, 2012, 05:25:22 pm »
I may try the refill option again.  The lexmark I tried this with before, wasn't that great.

What do you reckon to these..?   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-auto-reset-chip-Epson-SX435W-SX445W-SX525WD-SX535WD-SX620FW-WF-7015-/251056699053

Can anyone decipher this...  ::-)    "These chips must use without chips in the ink cartridge as our cartridge's structure. Otherwise, they can't work! If you don't have these cartridges without chip."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 10 November, 2012, 05:49:33 pm »
"These chips must be used with cartridges without their own chips"?

« Reply #10 on: 10 November, 2012, 06:20:39 pm »
Thanks.

Think I prolly fork out for a set of Epson cartridges (£22 for 4 or 1/2 the price of the printer)... to see if this allows the full volume of the third party ones to be used.