Author Topic: Grammar that makes you cringe  (Read 840421 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Grammar that makes you cringe
« Reply #1225 on: 21 December, 2010, 05:20:39 pm »
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1226 on: 21 December, 2010, 07:27:14 pm »
Inga: Werewolf!
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Werewolf?
Igor: There.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What?
Igor: There, wolf. There, castle.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: Why are you talking that way?
Igor: I thought you wanted to.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, I don't want to.
Igor: [shrugs] Suit yourself. I'm easy.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1227 on: 05 January, 2011, 02:58:59 pm »
The CTC Style Guide, received today by electronic mail.
That is all.

(To be fair, parts are fine but capitalisation and punctuation in some places leave something to be desired.)

Nightfly

« Reply #1228 on: 05 January, 2011, 04:28:34 pm »
innit.

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #1229 on: 05 January, 2011, 04:30:54 pm »
Lahk

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1230 on: 05 January, 2011, 05:11:19 pm »
An ad on the tele just a minute ago:

"When you've got nasal congestion and a blocked nose..."

::-)
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #1231 on: 05 January, 2011, 07:24:53 pm »
Why the hell are people starting to use the phrase to "go on fire" or "went on fire"?

Things can: be on fire; be set on fire; catch light, but it can only go on fire if it travels while already in flames.  >:( >:( >:(
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #1232 on: 05 January, 2011, 08:37:21 pm »
I'm only pointing out that it's spelt tautology, because if I don't one of the 'kin yacf pedants will be along to do so.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1233 on: 05 January, 2011, 08:39:33 pm »
Tortology, as one should know, is the study of tortes! :)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1234 on: 05 January, 2011, 09:57:08 pm »
Mange tout mange tout Rodney.....
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #1235 on: 05 January, 2011, 10:12:08 pm »
Why the hell are people starting to use the phrase to "go on fire" or "went on fire"?

Things can: be on fire; be set on fire; catch light, but it can only go on fire if it travels while already in flames.  >:( >:( >:(
Lots of things have went on fire in Glasgow. It's an expression which is commonly understood to mean you can't prove we did it so we'll just kid on it happened spontaneously.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #1236 on: 05 January, 2011, 10:16:51 pm »
That is all.

(To be fair, parts are fine but capitalisation and punctuation in some places leave something to be desired.)
Oh dear. Perhaps the CTC needs a proofreader. Should I offer my services?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #1237 on: 05 January, 2011, 10:25:41 pm »
That is all.

Many years ago, proofreading was part of a job I had. When you've proofread manuals on how to lay linoleum, in Norwegian, then you've proofread, laddie.
(Is proofread one word or two? Maybe I should get an enquiry underway.  ;) )
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #1238 on: 05 January, 2011, 10:32:09 pm »
I've not done that, but some of the IT manuals I've proofread* might as well have been in Norwegian, their comprehensibility was so poor. :(

*Seems to be the accepted term within the trade.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #1239 on: 05 January, 2011, 11:15:29 pm »
It's two words, obviously: proo fread.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1240 on: 05 January, 2011, 11:19:32 pm »
That is all.

Victoria Hazael, their Publicity Officer is on Maternity Leave so they might need help (if they have the dosh)...

« Reply #1241 on: 05 January, 2011, 11:37:44 pm »
Oooh! I'll have to get in touch. I think I know who I'll talk to. I'll offer to do it dirt cheap.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1242 on: 06 January, 2011, 12:12:48 am »
Are we allowed to have the use of "wiki" to mean "Wikipedia"?  It's a completely different word, dammit, and in some contexts (chiefly those with an associated wiki) can result in confusion or at least a mental backflip while you re-parse.

Also, the similar abuse of "USB" to mean a USB flash drive (or in extreme cases any kind of USB dongle), and "MP3" to mean an MP3 playing device.  *twitches*

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1243 on: 06 January, 2011, 11:37:12 am »
I'm only pointing out that it's spelt tautology, because if I don't one of the 'kin yacf pedants will be along to do so.
I sense some tension in this post.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1244 on: 06 January, 2011, 01:03:59 pm »
From http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=42446.0, this: "Firstly may I say how sorry I am to hear of the recent incident and that the person involved is now making a full and speedy recovery from their injuries."

Why's that?  Because they might feel well enough to sue the living arse off you?  Thought so.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1245 on: 06 January, 2011, 03:17:52 pm »
I've not done that, but some of the IT manuals I've proofread* might as well have been in Norwegian, their comprehensibility was so poor. :(

*Seems to be the accepted term within the trade.
I often came across this problem when I was translating and proofreading/editing other people's translations. Sometimes the original document was so poorly written that it was impossible to create a decent translation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1246 on: 06 January, 2011, 05:11:59 pm »
From http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=42446.0, this: "Firstly may I say how sorry I am to hear of the recent incident and that the person involved is now making a full and speedy recovery from their injuries."

Why's that?  Because they might feel well enough to sue the living arse off you?  Thought so.

Good spot. How about this one:

Retroflectives (aka scotchlite) are also not visible at any distance and any angle.

i wonder if he meant " ... nor any angle." ?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1247 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:09:51 am »
Just been reminded of one of my current pet hates on R4 this morning.  Scientists, mathematicians and IT people, often campus based, who start sentences, and often whole conversations, with the word "so".  

It's as if they are picking up mid-conversation discussing proofs with a colleague, whilst also trying to convince you, in a patronising kind of way, that you have embarked on a level of dialogue of which they are master.

It's just plain irritating when such grammatical absurdities gain widespread use and are thought by the user to signify smartness.  Quite the opposite IMO.
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #1248 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:27:51 am »
Agreed.  I was discussing the 'So' phenomenon only last week. The first time I heard it a couple of years ago it sounded plain weird.

Also, British politicians and Australian cricketers who answer interview questions with 'Look.'  It makes them sound impatient, though I guess Australian cricketers may have good reason for being a little tetchy at the moment.

« Reply #1249 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:36:30 am »
Hah, we are on a the same wave length!  I hate the "look" prefix almost as much as "so".  Blair used it a lot, in a very patronising way.  The aussie sportsmen do it in a slightly different way - more of a finger-poking assertive/aggressiveness.  Still, when it comes to sport you have to admit they do know what they're talking about  ;)
The sound of one pannier flapping