Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945111 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23400 on: 14 November, 2018, 03:10:36 pm »
That sequence of events seems perfectly logical to me. 

To avoid that problem, I got a man in to build a garage extension and replace the failed door.  Only logical thing to do by the look of it.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
Re: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own
« Reply #23401 on: 14 November, 2018, 07:08:00 pm »
Are you sure you want to know..... Okay, click below if you do, or ignore it if you would rather not know.

(click to show/hide)
Ah, I see. My late dad had an up and over double garage door and it had two rather large springs that assisted the mechanism, before he eventually electrified it.

From your description, your springs are different, but in any even the energy needed to lift that door will still be substantial.  If that energy, stored in the spring, were to be directed toward propelling an Allen key, I can well see how it did what it did.

You are a braver man than me.  I have enough trouble with cycling sized springs, let alone the rather larger variety built into garage doors.

Hope it's all getting a bit less sore.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #23402 on: 15 November, 2018, 08:32:00 pm »
I was playing Words With Friends and was about to play the word RAFT until I realised that I could swap the F and R to put the F on a triple letter score tile (F is worth 4, R is worth 1). Since the word also covered a triple word score tile, that bagged me 54 points, which amused me greatly.

I was even more amused a few moments later when my opponent resigned in disgust.

#lolz
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #23403 on: 15 November, 2018, 11:18:24 pm »
We have fine sand on our wheeley bins, and it looks like it's falling - saharan origin I guess?  Definitely not ash.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #23404 on: 17 November, 2018, 12:54:35 am »
Prolly blown there from Morecambe. They made a beach sandy area, the sand won't stay there if there's so much as a dwarf hamster fart within 15 miles of it.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #23405 on: 17 November, 2018, 11:33:58 am »
When I got home yesterday my wife said there’d been a mouse in the lounge. That would have been brought in by the cat. We didn’t see it all evening, but when I went to get some wine from the shed, I found my garden trainers (kept by the back door) full of mouse droppings  ::-).  Fast forward to this morning and I check them again - all clear. Check my wife’s and same. Maybe it’s gone. A while later my wife puts hers on to put the washing out, no problem. 2 hours later she goes to put some rubbish out, and finds the mouse hiding in the tie of her shoe :o. A quick tap and it’s out. I give it 8 hours to scarper before the cat wakes up from her daily nap.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23406 on: 18 November, 2018, 10:15:30 pm »
Satnav, 1970s style:  Routesheet-onna-tape.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KliWHCzE16c&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/KliWHCzE16c&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/KliWHCzE16c

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23407 on: 18 November, 2018, 11:27:59 pm »
And now it is tomorrow and we've got something even better! I reckon that's probably quite an unusual occurrence for TW.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23408 on: 18 November, 2018, 11:40:53 pm »
 ;D
Thanks Kim  :D

But even more thanks for the Maggie Philbin (sp?) stuff it lead me to.
Ob. Secret young crushes.

Edit.  Chrisesake Basil!  Judith Hann!  Not Maggie wosname.  Judith Hann!
Sorry. Brainfart.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23409 on: 19 November, 2018, 12:08:39 am »
There's a rich vein of Tomorrows World on Youtube.

Here's Sir Clive on a relatively sensible (given the technology of the time) electric bicycle, with plenty of authentic VHS aretfacts:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ig-d8ZnzZvc&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ig-d8ZnzZvc&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/Ig-d8ZnzZvc

« Reply #23410 on: 19 November, 2018, 11:29:16 am »
"So a Shopping Centre on the Isle of Man just had their Christmas decorations done... "

https://twitter.com/Li4mricee/status/1064248919893442560

:o ;D :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23411 on: 19 November, 2018, 02:15:45 pm »
"So a Shopping Centre on the Isle of Man just had their Christmas decorations done... "

Not much in the way of LEDs, so I suspect that Big Clive is innocent.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #23412 on: 19 November, 2018, 02:27:03 pm »

Not much in the way of LEDs, so I suspect that Big Clive is innocent.
I think making a claim that Big Clive is innocent is a very rash statement to make  :D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23413 on: 21 November, 2018, 01:44:08 pm »
The ever-so-serious journal Nature always carries a one-page SF story on its last page. Latest one we received leaves a bit to be desired: a race of aliens have frozen Earth into submission by placing a spaceship the size of the moon between it and the sun, plunging the world into permanent eclipse.

Er...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23414 on: 21 November, 2018, 01:52:58 pm »
The ever-so-serious journal Nature always carries a one-page SF story on its last page. Latest one we received leaves a bit to be desired: a race of aliens have frozen Earth into submission by placing a spaceship the size of the moon between it and the sun, plunging the world into permanent eclipse.

Er...

They're going to need a bigger boat...

Sorry, Father Dougal error.  At L1 it wouldn't need to be be as big as the moon, would it?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #23415 on: 21 November, 2018, 02:11:12 pm »
;D
Thanks Kim  :D

But even more thanks for the Maggie Philbin (sp?) stuff it lead me to.
Ob. Secret young crushes.

Edit.  Chrisesake Basil!  Judith Hann!  Not Maggie wosname.  Judith Hann!
Sorry. Brainfart.

My abiding memory of Judith Hann on TW was when she demonstrated use of a mouse on a primitive computer .... that was pretty cool, but the camera then pulled back and she was also wearing seamed stockings  :thumbsup:

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #23416 on: 21 November, 2018, 02:15:18 pm »
Gosh.  And there was me thinking Judith Hann was everyone's favourite television SCIENCE auntie...

fuzzy

« Reply #23417 on: 21 November, 2018, 02:26:16 pm »
She was. Us young men couldn't help being beguiled by brains AND looks. It's the hormones, you know ;)

« Reply #23418 on: 21 November, 2018, 03:07:47 pm »
Us young men couldn't can't help being beguiled by brains AND looks. It's the hormones, you know ;)

FTFY  ;D  Add in an Irish accent and you get Dr Pixie McKenna   :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #23419 on: 21 November, 2018, 03:35:02 pm »
Gosh.  And there was me thinking Judith Hann was everyone's favourite television SCIENCE auntie...
In the same way as Janice in The Crow Road was Prentice McHoan's favourite auntie, aye.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23420 on: 21 November, 2018, 04:17:12 pm »
Until this weekend, I didn't think I had ever seen or handled a £50 ('spiv') note.

I acquired one on Sunday when Barry repaid me for his train ticket to Scotland.

David has just been paid for the telescope he sold on behalf of the BAA with a wodge.

Takeaway driver refused my Clydesdale £10 last night...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23421 on: 21 November, 2018, 07:59:54 pm »
Don't think I've ever handled a £50 but I'm sure I've seen them. Definitely handled 500zł notes in Poland, roughly equivalent to £100. In India I don't recall anything over 1,000 rupees, which meant frequently handling huge wodges of notes as many things you'd never use cash for here, it's the accepted or only way there, such as paying for airline tickets(!). ATMs frequently run out...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #23422 on: 21 November, 2018, 08:04:53 pm »
I got a load of them from Travelex the other month when I cashed in some unused foreign currency. No had any issues getting rid of them. Far better than $100 bills which no one in the US takes.

« Reply #23423 on: 21 November, 2018, 08:54:44 pm »
I've regularly been paid in £50 notes. The last time was a couple of weeks ago.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #23424 on: 21 November, 2018, 09:10:34 pm »
I've had a few here and there, mostly from my dad when returing from odd places, and he'd changed money
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens