General Category > Freewheeling

Copenhagenization

(1/4) > >>

Charlotte:
Great article on the Cambridge Cycling Campaign's website this month...

Cambridge Cycling Campaign » Newsletter 82 (February/March 2009)

I agree - the H&S culture surrounding cycling is all wrong.  Cycling ought to be a stylish part of every day life.  We need fewer helmets and hi-viz, along with more respectful drivers, acknowledging that owning a £2000 luggage bike is far preferable to owning a £2000 old wrecker of a car.

ScumOfTheRoad:
Charlotte,
I haven't had time to read your article, but you have a point.
As I have ranted here a couple of times, in our current towns it is simplicity itself for me to pick up car keys, leave covered garage, drive 1 mile to Tesco where I leave the car in a dedicatged space - no security worries as the car will be there when I come back, courtesy of central locking and engine immobilisers. The supermarket people leave a trolley waiting for me to wheel round the store and back to the car.
Contrast the bike - we get dolled up in different gear and shoes to go cycling, and you take a serious risk of your bike being nicked outside any supermarket unless you lug around heavy armoured locks.

andygates:
As a breed, we need more tweed.

I'm still not sure how we do the outreach thing though - we're all zealots, we're cyclists.  The converted are easy to preach to; fundamentally, what Copenhagenizing is about isn't more cycling enthusiasts, it's more POBs.

Charlotte:
Ain't that the truth.  I've mused this many a time with CTC bods - actually, cyclists are often not the best people for designing schemes to get more bums on saddles...

Regulator:

--- Quote from: andygates on 07 April, 2009, 05:23:35 pm ---As a breed, we need more tweed.

I'm still not sure how we do the outreach thing though - we're all zealots, we're cyclists.  The converted are easy to preach to; fundamentally, what Copenhagenizing is about isn't more cycling enthusiasts, it's more POBs.

--- End quote ---

Did you know that CTC has its own official tweed?  I am making enquiries on that front.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version