General Category > Freewheeling

Recycling bits of cycling clothing

(1/2) > >>

Polar Bear:
I have a pair of Protective shorts that has a great chamois but the lycra has gone.  I also have a pair of Ground Effect shorts that appear to be made from reinforced kevlar but the chamois is pants!

I've been contemplating cutting out the good chamois and sewing it in over the 'orrible one.   What do the panel think?  :D

Mrs Pingu:
Well if they're both no use to you currently you're not going to lose anything by trying. Except for some fingers perhaps? ;)

PhilO:
I'd unpick the knackered one rather than sew over the top, but other than that I can't see any obvious objection to your plan...  :thumbsup:

peterc:
I found when fixing broken lycra skin suits on a domestic machine that zig zag stitch is your friend, (I hear from the pro's that an interlocker is what you want) Never played with an insert though, so not too sure if it's applicable here.

redshift:
Overlocker, three or four thread stitch, and use the right needles (ballpoint or stretch needles for Lycra knit) and thread (polyester) or you'll do yourself (or the shorts) an injury.  You can use a zigzag stitch if you don't have an overlocker, but I doubt it'll feel as good.  My local Aldi had a 4-thread machine last week, and I was so tempted.  I just haven't the space and my ordinary Singer is good for another thousand years...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version