General Category > Freewheeling

Wrong Bits!

(1/1)

clarion:
You know how it is - in the heat of the moment you pick up, and go off home for a little fettling fun.  And then, when you get there, you excitedly peel off the outer layers in a fever of anticipation, you are suddenly find yourself with an unexpected part in your hand.

Shocked, disappointed, ashamed, disgust with yourself - all these swirl around as you try to do something that's going to lead to mutual satisfaction.  But no, it just won't fit. It's wrong, and you're left in a tricky situation.

In this case, I'd bought a pair of lovely Campag levers for my Woodrup, to replace the one Campag/one Gipiemme I currently have.  And I needed to do something about the cable outer dismantling itself and making the gears slip.

So I cut the cables, and took the old lever off, and then took the package I'd bought at Mildenhall - yes, Mildenhall: There's been a wee backlog in fettling, and the Woodrup's been unridden for a while.  And I found I had an indexed bloomin lever :(  And, since I have a five speed block...  Yes, I know that's less than half the requisite number of sprockets for fashion victims, but I just don't quite fit into that category as well as I do that of Luddite.

Oh poo.

Oh poo.

And now I remember what a faff it was adjusting the front mech cable last time. :(

Yup - that front mech cable I could have just left as it was.  That'll be the one :-[

Mrs Pingu:
Your front mech lever won't be indexed though, surely?

токамак:
Can index levers not be made into friction levers at the turn of a screw or whatever? I'm sure the Shima-NO ones I used to have on my tourer could...

clarion:

--- Quote from: Mrs Pingu on 08 April, 2009, 12:43:25 pm ---Your front mech lever won't be indexed though, surely?

--- End quote ---

No, but that was the Gipiemme one, which is why I boughted the Campag pig-in-a-poke :-[

--- Quote from: TOKaMaK on 08 April, 2009, 12:48:46 pm ---Can index levers not be made into friction levers at the turn of a screw or whatever? I'm sure the Shima-NO ones I used to have on my tourer could...

--- End quote ---

No, these can't.  They're very early & very crude.  Side by side with the elegant friction lever, the new one seems to have a goitre :(

Oh - and the front lever doesn't match the friction rear lever, otherwise I'd've gone for that.

It's not been a great day...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version