Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751846 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #3250 on: 27 September, 2012, 08:23:58 am »
I'm a bit pushed for time so a quick thumb nail sketch of last night.  Someone might be along later to add some colour ...

bobb, Huggy and me rode to the pub from Witham
Pub nice
Tomsk turned up on his folding bike
Drank beer and coffee
Set off home
Huggy fell off ... again
Got a tiny bit lost
Rode some farm tracks under a full moon
Got home
Had a nice evening
The route

« Reply #3251 on: 27 September, 2012, 08:36:30 am »
So what was the off road bit like?

I just hammered it straight down the main road. Only one car came past me before Broomfield and remarkably, only two more after that going into Chelmsford. Amazingly quite. I had the road more or less to myself!  :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3252 on: 27 September, 2012, 08:49:48 am »
So what was the off road bit like?

I just hammered it straight down the main road. Only one car came past me before Broomfield and remarkably, only two more after that going into Chelmsford. Amazingly quite. I had the road more or less to myself!  :)

The off road bit was fine.  We went up the wrong track to begin with (you can see the error on the map) which was a bit overhung.  Once we got on the right track it was easy, concrete all the way!

« Reply #3253 on: 03 October, 2012, 09:18:48 am »
Morning All

I'm guessing there's no ride tonight. I think my legs could take a short one but my backside is still coming to terms with the abuse it took at the weekend. (no smutty comments please) I've arranged a date night with Mrs C tonight anyway so I'm out.
Next Wednesday 10th Oct - anyone fancy a curry night to celebrate the end of the Audax season and everyone's acheivements this year? Current suggestions are the Raj Grden at White Notley or Eastern View at Coggeshall.
Anyone got any other suggestions for a more central venue which would be more convenient for everyone to attend?

Let me know and I'll book a table somewhere.

Cheers

Chris

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3254 on: 03 October, 2012, 09:27:04 am »
Next Wednesday is a bit iffy now as I will be having an early start on Thursday.  However, if the curry is local that should be OK. 

Have you been to the Raj Garden recently?  We went there about 18 months ago and were a bit put off by the absolutely filthy carpet on the floor.  Not been to the one in Coggeshall.  What's it like?

« Reply #3255 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:00:44 am »
Not been to the Raj Garden myself but gets good reviews on t'internet.
Coggeshall is a personal favourite. They do brussell sprout bhajis when in season.
Alternatively Indian Ocean on Witham High St do a banquet night on Wednesdays where you get starter, main, side dish + bread or rice for a tenner. Could go there and do gratuitous TMNH ascent before hand just to get a ride in and still be tucked up in bed by 10.30.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3256 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:06:32 am »
Just been swapping texts with bloomers and he's less than keen on riding over to Coggeshall which seems fair.  However, your recommendation is noted.  I'd be interested to see what effect sprout bhaji has on my digestive tract  ;D

I'm happy to try the Indian Ocean in Witham, we normally get takeaways from Bikash although the one we had the other day was quite greasy.  There's also Omar's in Hatty Pev.  Had takeaway from there and it was fine, not eaten in the restaurant.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3257 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:18:15 am »
Weather permitting, on Sunday I'll do a baton-collecting trip to Witham and back. Depending on time, I'm possibly intending to visit the Flitch pub in Little Dunmow.

I don't intend to come if it's going to be pissing down all day or trying to blow me off my bike. The odd shower and moderate winds I can put up with.

Who is in possession of the baton at this moment? Can it be made available please?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3258 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:23:18 am »
Weather permitting, on Sunday I'll do a baton-collecting trip to Witham and back. Depending on time, I'm possibly intending to visit the Flitch pub in Little Dunmow.

I don't intend to come if it's going to be pissing down all day or trying to blow me off my bike. The odd shower and moderate winds I can put up with.

Who is in possession of the baton at this moment? Can it be made available please?

I have the baton but am not available on Sunday. OD are you around? if so I can pop it over to you before Sunday??

« Reply #3259 on: 03 October, 2012, 10:27:07 am »
END OF SEASON CURRY NIGHT

Wendesday 10th October. Omar's in Hatfield Peverel. 8.30pm.

It's bring your own bottle. There is a Coop in HP so we can pick up beers there if needed or pack your panniers.

Let me kow by Friday if you can come and I will book a table.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3260 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:24:07 am »

I have the baton but am not available on Sunday. OD are you around? if so I can pop it over to you before Sunday??

Possibly.

Wow, what's your likely ETA in Witham?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3261 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:41:56 am »
No idea yet. It's probably about 3 hours from here... I could aim for between 12 and 1.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3262 on: 03 October, 2012, 11:55:28 am »
No idea yet. It's probably about 3 hours from here... I could aim for between 12 and 1.

Hmmm, sorry but I have no idea what we're doing this weekend - which isn't very helpful.  Why not drop me a text on Friday?

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #3263 on: 03 October, 2012, 09:20:22 pm »

It's bring your own bottle. There is a Coop in HP so we can pick up beers there if needed or pack your panniers.

Let me kow by Friday if you can come and I will book a table.

count me in, pass approved, work dependent though  :(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3264 on: 04 October, 2012, 06:15:59 am »
Put me down for a seat at The Table of Heroes for we are all heroes irrespective of whether you've done a 600 or not!

« Reply #3265 on: 04 October, 2012, 10:36:04 am »
Put me down for a seat at The Table of Heroes for we are all heroes irrespective of whether you've done a 600 or not!

Definitely all heroes. I'm sure everyone has achieved this year, awards or no awards.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3266 on: 04 October, 2012, 08:44:19 pm »
I'll be away up north* next week, but will toast your achievements from afar....

* I'm told there are hills there almost like Essex ones ;D

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3267 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:24:23 am »

In true decision by committee stylee are there any propositions for:
a) Departure time from the Witham environs (that is the one with the CM8 post code)
b) Length of riding time
c) Number of TMNH ascents
d) Other route requests
e) Type of steed required for possible liquid load carrying
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #3268 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:35:51 am »

In true decision by committee stylee are there any propositions for:
a) Departure time from the Witham environs (that is the one with the CM8 post code)
b) Length of riding time
c) Number of TMNH ascents
d) Other route requests
e) Type of steed required for possible liquid load carrying

I was thinking

a) departure time of 7.30 from Spa Road/ Terling roundabout
b) ride time of 1 hour
c) one ascent
d) route through Terling to Little Baddow, turn left at Spring Elms Lane at the top of TMNH and loop round through Ulting and up to HP.
e) either pannier for beers (although they may get a bit shaken up during the ride) or carrier bag from co-op in Hatfield Peverel to Omar's

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3269 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:10:05 am »
I was thinking

a) departure time of 7.30 from Spa Road/ Terling roundabout
b) ride time of 1 hour
c) one ascent
d) route through Terling to Little Baddow, turn left at Spring Elms Lane at the top of TMNH and loop round through Ulting and up to HP.
e) either pannier for beers (although they may get a bit shaken up during the ride) or carrier bag from co-op in Hatfield Peverel to Omar's

A route something like this then

« Reply #3270 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:16:14 am »
Just like that  :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3271 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:24:08 am »
I was thinking

The more eagle-eyed may notice that the turn in to Spring Elms Lane is actually a right turn in my route as to be a MEMWNS TMNH ascent one must pass The Generals Arms, even if it means doing a U-Turn in their car park  :P

« Reply #3272 on: 08 October, 2012, 11:44:46 am »
Also noticed the route goes up a dead end in Ulting rather than round the road. I will not be going off road at any point :hand:

Is the turn in to the General's Arms an excuse to stop? Do we need to allow an extra 15 minutes to get out breath back at the top and re-fuel?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3273 on: 08 October, 2012, 12:34:39 pm »
Also noticed the route goes up a dead end in Ulting rather than round the road. I will not be going off road at any point :hand:
I noticed that too and another BRT comedy off road section.  I have already amended route and saved so the current version should be all on-road  ::-)

Is the turn in to the General's Arms an excuse to stop? Do we need to allow an extra 15 minutes to get out breath back at the top and re-fuel?
Not usually an excuse to stop, but the pink house is often the rendezvous point whilst everyone catches up again before setting off again down Colam Lane or in this case Spring Elms Lane  :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3274 on: 08 October, 2012, 01:45:59 pm »
I will be at the roundabout at 7:30.  Just for a change I shall be riding Claud so more than happy to take in some off-road stuff.

What I do now is carry on past The General's Arms thus satisfying TMNH rules and then turning left down Mill Lane and right onto Spring Elms Lane.