Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1751412 times)

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #13450 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:01:06 pm »
I guess your not joining us tonight Sister Carlos?

I'm afraid not, I'm too busy cheering Ajax.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13451 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:14:31 pm »
Lol
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #13452 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:59:42 pm »
I don't believe it :o

« Reply #13453 on: 08 May, 2019, 10:21:54 pm »

how about now?
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #13454 on: 09 May, 2019, 07:36:20 am »

how about now?
never in doubt  :smug:
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #13455 on: 09 May, 2019, 10:27:28 am »
What an interesting discussion about gear ratios, torque and such matters last night, with jiberjaber disproving a point about torque using advanced maths written out on the back of a scrap of paper.

As a follow-up question to those present, in a single speed setup, if the freewheel is 1/8 and the chain is 1/8, does it matter if the chainring is 3/32 with a wide/narrow tooth profile?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #13456 on: 09 May, 2019, 12:49:46 pm »

how about now?

The two luckiest teams in Europe are in the Champions League final. That's all.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #13457 on: 09 May, 2019, 12:51:46 pm »
What an interesting discussion about gear ratios, torque and such matters last night, with jiberjaber disproving a point about torque using advanced maths written out on the back of a scrap of paper.

As a follow-up question to those present, in a single speed setup, if the freewheel is 1/8 and the chain is 1/8, does it matter if the chainring is 3/32 with a wide/narrow tooth profile?

Sounds like the rest of us were lucky to miss out. ;)

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #13458 on: 09 May, 2019, 01:02:45 pm »

ACME has it's own Victor Meldrew.   
Forget the football, watching Carlosfandango's changing reactions was very entertaining. 
I've never seen someone go from smug to mug so fast.  ;D ;D

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #13459 on: 09 May, 2019, 02:56:59 pm »

1/8th chain will work with any chainring designed for 3/32nd, unless the chainring is make/model of chain specific - if this is the case avoid (if you can't run a generic chain from an LBS emergency repairs could get very interesting).
Doubtful if you'll get the full benefit of the features that the wide/narrow chainring is supposed to offer in it's intended application so probably not worth laying out stupid money if there are cheaper options - 3/33nd or 1/8th.
The main marketing of wide/narrow chainrings is targeted at the 1 by system market to reduce the risk of dropping the chain when running without a front mech. Single speed should not need this feature.

« Reply #13460 on: 09 May, 2019, 03:12:06 pm »
The main marketing of wide/narrow chainrings is targeted at the 1 by system market to reduce the risk of dropping the chain when running without a front mech. Single speed should not need this feature.

Quite sensibly (!) I have opted for the same SRAM direct mount setup on both my 1x and single speed bikes so that I can swap chainrings between the two. Likewise with the wheels (albeit with different rear wheels). So although I might not benefit from the wide/narrow chainring on the single speed, it'll be what I need to run. The three main manufacturers of chainrings that fit (SRAM, Absolute Black and Wolftooth) all only do wide/narrow.

The AbsoluteBlack website recommends using a 6-8 speed chain when running single speed with their chainring. So I think I'll stick with their recommendation, and hence avoid 1/8th on this bike.

Thanks for the additional info.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #13461 on: 09 May, 2019, 03:22:12 pm »
how about now?
Being lucky always trumps being good, but you have to be in the competition to have a chance of getting to the final  :P
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

BFC

« Reply #13462 on: 09 May, 2019, 03:43:28 pm »

Forget the football, watching Carlosfandango's changing reactions was very entertaining. 
Victor Meldrew and Sid James in one package deal - that's a challenge for political correctness.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #13463 on: 09 May, 2019, 05:06:29 pm »

Victor Meldrew and Sid James in one package deal - that's a challenge for political correctness.

You missed out Penelope  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

BFC

« Reply #13464 on: 09 May, 2019, 06:03:53 pm »

Quite sensibly (!) I have opted for the same SRAM direct mount setup on both my 1x and single speed bikes so that I can swap chainrings between the two. Likewise with the wheels (albeit with different rear wheels). So although I might not benefit from the wide/narrow chainring on the single speed, it'll be what I need to run. The three main manufacturers of chainrings that fit (SRAM, Absolute Black and Wolftooth) all only do wide/narrow.

The AbsoluteBlack website recommends using a 6-8 speed chain when running single speed with their chainring. So I think I'll stick with their recommendation, and hence avoid 1/8th on this bike.

Thanks for the additional info.

The KMC 3/32nd single speed chains I have tried with very good results (including using on the track bike I used for the arrow) is their Z610HX, the last letters indicate the surface finish. The HX version uses a variant of a missing link connector that cannot be removed once fitted, I have tried.
Single speed chain really likes a good cooking in old fashioned linklyfe chain grease (waxy grease with molybdenum disulphide). I have a tin dating back to 1982 - don't know of an equivalent modern product.

Avoid halflink chains, they stretch incredibly fast.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #13465 on: 09 May, 2019, 06:23:03 pm »
how about now?
Being lucky always trumps being good, but you have to be in the competition to have a chance of getting to the final  :P

We`re neither lucky nor good, so I expect Valencia to be Spursy tonight in the only match in the only competition that matters.

« Reply #13466 on: 09 May, 2019, 06:33:31 pm »
The KMC 3/32nd single speed chains I have tried with very good results (including using on the track bike I used for the arrow) is their Z610HX, the last letters indicate the surface finish. The HX version uses a variant of a missing link connector that cannot be removed once fitted, I have tried.
Single speed chain really likes a good cooking in old fashioned linklyfe chain grease (waxy grease with molybdenum disulphide). I have a tin dating back to 1982 - don't know of an equivalent modern product.

Avoid halflink chains, they stretch incredibly fast.

That brings us full circle ... we were discussing halflink chains when you walked in last night.

I’ve opted to try the KMC X8 silver 3/32. It seems to tick the right boxes, being non-directional, nickel plated and supposedly durable, as well as suitable for 6-8 speed cassettes as per the Absolute Black recommendation for their chainring when setup as a single speed.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #13467 on: 09 May, 2019, 08:29:49 pm »
Forget the kmc chains - you'll never walk alone....come on u reds. Damm just realized I'm doing WCW 600 the same day. >:(
CCS - Setting the Standards

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #13468 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:00:09 pm »
Forget the kmc chains - you'll never walk alone....come on u reds. Damm just realized I'm doing WCW 600 the same day. >:(

I don't think Cardiff are in the final, anyway their shirts are blue these days.

« Reply #13469 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:09:30 pm »

I don't think Cardiff are in the final, anyway their shirts are blue these days.

Away kit for AFC Sudbury is red ...

Phil W

« Reply #13470 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:09:35 pm »

If you are fast enough one of the WCW controls will have the cup final on.

the straggler

« Reply #13471 on: 09 May, 2019, 09:44:31 pm »
That's the problem, I'm too slow to afford to take 90mins to stop off to watch the match. Knowing my luck it probably go to ET.

Phil W

« Reply #13472 on: 09 May, 2019, 10:37:51 pm »
Wide screen TV mounted on the back of Carlos with a car battery strapped to his frame and aerial on his head?

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #13473 on: 10 May, 2019, 02:13:48 pm »
Don't worry Phil, the strangler is the only one who wants to watch the Sudbury Town match, he can do that on his phone.

the straggler

« Reply #13474 on: 10 May, 2019, 02:38:10 pm »
That's alright, only to see Carlos beloved Colchester united get embarrassed.