Author Topic: Record player that wont track  (Read 767 times)

Record player that wont track
« on: 01 October, 2020, 09:40:00 am »
So I have been playing with a record deck I got off eBay. It's a NAD 5120 (with a normal arm not the weird flat arm some of them came with) with an Ortofon cartridge. I can't get the thing to play a record. It rotates fine and when you drop the needle it plays for maybe one or two revolutions then pops and the needle jumps back and it repeats the last few seconds of music. Doesn't matter where on the LP you drop the needle it does the same thing. It's like when you have a bad scratch on a record but I have tried several LPs and they all do the same thing. Put the same LPs on my Thorens TD160 with SME arm and they play fine.
I have adjusted the counter weight and cueing height and tried all variations of eh anti-skate setting and it still does the same thing.
Any ideas ? Do we think the cartridge needs replacing?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Record player that wont track
« Reply #1 on: 01 October, 2020, 11:04:40 am »
From what I remember is that there is a fault with the lift and mechanism or the anti skate mechanism.  Think it needs to be opened up and see what is going on underneath

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/gallery/album/1625 if you look at gandalphuk photos of rebuilding his deck showed me how the deck would go back together properly.

Re: Record player that wont track
« Reply #2 on: 01 October, 2020, 11:54:36 am »
From what I remember is that there is a fault with the lift and mechanism or the anti skate mechanism.  Think it needs to be opened up and see what is going on underneath

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/gallery/album/1625 if you look at gandalphuk photos of rebuilding his deck showed me how the deck would go back together properly.

That sounds like a possibility. Might have got disconnected somewhere in transit. I'll have a look under the hood. Thanks.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.