Author Topic: SPD Clarification please peeps  (Read 7539 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: SPD Clarification please peeps
« Reply #25 on: 10 April, 2008, 09:20:39 am »
I have to admit that on the whole my SPDs have released in crashes (including an absolutely corking one where I managed to vault over the bars and land on my feet in front of the bike!), but they have also kept clipped in a couple of times (as per above for one) and this did lead to one of my most interesting biking moments.  I had an off whilst riding the steps in Meanwood Valley Park, as I went over I looked at my feet to se eif I had clipped out, only to see tree-tops instead of ground at the other side of my feet!!!

As Biggsy says, don't let it put you off going clipless, the advantages way way outweigh the minor disadvantages...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #26 on: 10 April, 2008, 09:24:22 am »
I have to disagree with nearly everyone here and say the M520s are great pedals.

Cheap as chips, bearings last forever, ditto clip mechanism, even when hideously neglected.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #27 on: 10 April, 2008, 09:25:50 am »
I have to disagree with nearly everyone here and say the M520s are great pedals.

Cheap as chips, bearings last forever, ditto clip mechanism, even when hideously neglected.

Errr, are you reading the same thread that I am? :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Chris S

« Reply #28 on: 10 April, 2008, 09:29:23 am »

Funny - I got the impression most M520 posts were positive.

I have them on four bikes. None have ever gone wrong. They have always released during uncommanded rider/bike departures and that's despite my complete and utter neglect of them, and my shoe cleats.

So that's a big  :thumbsup: from me too. And as I mentioned earlier - cheap as chips on ebay.

BTW mrcharly, I'm feeling much calmer today, so language shouldn't be a problem ;)

border-rider

« Reply #29 on: 10 April, 2008, 09:31:57 am »

I disagree !  They're actually good pedals, despite what you say ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #30 on: 10 April, 2008, 09:32:41 am »
I think most people seem happy with the dead basic M520s.

For lovely double-sided pedals, though, I have to admit to admiring Butterfly's XTRs....
Getting there...

tiermat

« Reply #31 on: 10 April, 2008, 09:38:27 am »
OOOOO yes the XTRs are nice, as were the 747's that preceeded them. TBH though they look nice functionally are no different to the cheaper pedal, IMHO.

« Reply #32 on: 10 April, 2008, 09:56:58 am »
You can get Shimano M520s for £13.99 Buy It Now price on ebay, from our friends at SJS.

Thanks for the tip Chris - I've just reduced their stock by a pair.
(Have been noting quite a lot of wear on the existing ones, and like to be prepared to replace.)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #33 on: 10 April, 2008, 10:13:55 am »
Thanks all, I have also ordered apair of 520s from SJS, I've bought stuff from their eBay shop before and they're usually pretty prompt.

« Reply #34 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:42:39 pm »
Thanks for the cleat advice, I'll start on the singles to learn the techniques. When I'm more confident I'll go onto the multiple release cleats on a spare pair of shoes.

Edinburgh Bike Coop have a Revolution branded set which look amazingly similar to FPD

I've just got the hang of the three wheel thing so falling off the trike is less common

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #35 on: 10 April, 2008, 08:47:11 pm »
Thanks for the cleat advice, I'll start on the singles to learn the techniques. When I'm more confident I'll go onto the multiple release cleats on a spare pair of shoes.

Usually it is the other way round.  The multi-release cleats have more options in how they will pop out.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #36 on: 12 April, 2008, 04:07:43 pm »
I've fitted the multiple release cleats, much better than the clips & straps.