Author Topic: Panoramas  (Read 104635 times)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Re: Panoramas
« Reply #25 on: 23 October, 2008, 07:01:22 pm »
Love pano's, but every time I spend the time to take the photos it is as far as it gets, never get around to stitch them together, too lazy, even when autostitch is soooo easy. Point it to the folder where the photos are and click save is pretty much it.

Top pano's keep them coming.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #26 on: 23 October, 2008, 07:03:49 pm »
Rob - they are great!

I particularly like this one. So much so that I've re-posted it.  ;D

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #27 on: 23 October, 2008, 07:20:05 pm »
Agreed, great stuff Rob S.  :)

What bridge is that under construction? Any links to bigger versions?

Rob S

« Reply #28 on: 23 October, 2008, 07:33:50 pm »
The bridge is the new crossing at Barnstaple....I'll get one of it finished next time I go up there....not that it's special.

These last two are taken at the edge of very tight bends...not attempts at 180 degee pics...the middle of the last pic really is that steep!! :P

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #29 on: 23 October, 2008, 07:41:56 pm »
Rob, where is your first pano (the ruined abbey)?

I would hazard a guess but am 99% certain of getting it wrong...

« Reply #30 on: 23 October, 2008, 07:45:45 pm »
I think it's Tintern Abbey.  There was scaffolding up when I went past, so I may be wrong.

Great photos, everyone.  I'm loving this thread :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #31 on: 23 October, 2008, 07:54:25 pm »
It is in the filename!  ;)

« Reply #32 on: 23 October, 2008, 07:57:29 pm »
Great shot of Hay Tor, very nice light, near sunset I think, but very atmospheric.  Shots like that make me miss the moors. :'(
Actually, it is rocket science.

Rob S

« Reply #33 on: 23 October, 2008, 07:57:51 pm »
Indeed it's Tintern....it was several years of riding past it before I got one without the scaffolding. The one above was in 2005...I went there last year and again they were working on it....though most could be cloned out.

FyPuNK

« Reply #34 on: 23 October, 2008, 08:28:24 pm »
Some fantastic Pano's there Rob. Here are a few more. the first is Star Gate here in Blackpool...

Rockcliffe in South West scotland...

Tenby...

and last of all Abereiddy (Pembrokeshire)...

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #35 on: 23 October, 2008, 09:24:16 pm »
Port Ness on the Isle of Lewis

« Reply #36 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:01:16 pm »
Barcelona sunset
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #37 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:22:45 pm »

And you wasted the best ever 'Guess the place' image on here?  ;D ;D

« Reply #38 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:38:36 pm »
a very roughly stitched one

It's frustrating the way the colour balance shifts - silly automatic camera

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:39:27 pm »

And you wasted the best ever 'Guess the place' image on here?  ;D ;D

Is it Bondi Beach? ;D
Getting there...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #40 on: 23 October, 2008, 10:41:49 pm »
That wave... did you stitch together multiple waves?

Hold down the button halfway and most cameras will focus-exposure-and-balance lock.  Do it when pointing at an average bit of the shot to get the right levels, then take the shots.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #41 on: 23 October, 2008, 11:05:13 pm »
How did you do that Chris, I can't see any joins at all.

This one of mine (although the subject isn't so interesting) is done with the in-camera stitching software on my HP R817.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #42 on: 24 October, 2008, 07:08:39 am »
Here's a couple of views of the beach at Whitstable:

I used the 'Photostitch' software that came with my camera

Hopefully the 'usual' Google problem won't affect them :)

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #43 on: 24 October, 2008, 08:48:04 am »

No it's just cropped to make the letter box shape. I suppose you could say it's cheating, but I like the result.

I have been playing with Hugin, and so far I'm pretty impressed. I've played with a few stitching programs and Hugin is the best yet. A couple of early results -

Barra beach (an excellent rough camping site).

Bernaray (another excellent rough camping site).

Edit: Drat that's another two guess the place photos wasted!

« Reply #44 on: 24 October, 2008, 09:56:14 am »

As I recall (and it's a while since I last used it) Hugin does allow you to tell it to compensate for things like Brightness variations (somewhere near the end, when it does the proper stitching bit).

I used to find it easier to generate multiple TIFs and then combine them with enblend, which did a much better job than Hugin of joining, and smoothing the edges.  I think that Hugin has improved this a lot in the more recent variations, but it might be worth trying enblend if you're still having problems (it is a command line program, but it's not that difficult to use).

zzpza

« Reply #45 on: 24 October, 2008, 12:45:20 pm »

As I recall (and it's a while since I last used it) Hugin does allow you to tell it to compensate for things like Brightness variations (somewhere near the end, when it does the proper stitching bit).

I used to find it easier to generate multiple TIFs and then combine them with enblend, which did a much better job than Hugin of joining, and smoothing the edges.  I think that Hugin has improved this a lot in the more recent variations, but it might be worth trying enblend if you're still having problems (it is a command line program, but it's not that difficult to use).

yes, hugin can set the brightness variation. i'm using the mac osx version - it's on the first screen when you add the photos. you select the photo that has the exposure you want to use for the rest of the series and click "Anchor this image for exposure".

also, the version of hugin i'm using 0.6.1 (i think this is quite old, i installed it a while ago, but i've only been using it recently) gives the option of using enblend when you set the output filetype to be tiff. :)

No it's just cropped to make the letter box shape. I suppose you could say it's cheating, but I like the result.

I have been playing with Hugin, and so far I'm pretty impressed. I've played with a few stitching programs and Hugin is the best yet. A couple of early results...

as far as i'm concerned it's the aspect ratio of the final image. ;)

looks like i picked the best to start with (hugin is the only pano app i've used). :D

« Reply #46 on: 26 October, 2008, 12:55:37 pm »
Reading this thread reminded me that I'd taken some photos with this sort of thing in mind.  Here's Ben Nevis:

Isn't this fun :)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #47 on: 26 October, 2008, 01:00:51 pm »
Why is it that some of these shots look "normal" and others look weird with more than one vanishing point?  Is it just the subject, or is something mathematical going on?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Rob S

« Reply #48 on: 26 October, 2008, 01:15:40 pm »
Why is it that some of these shots look "normal" and others look weird with more than one vanishing point?  Is it just the subject, or is something mathematical going on?

I've never been happy with the Forum pic as it doesn't look right.

« Reply #49 on: 26 October, 2008, 10:42:37 pm »

I'm not 100% sure what you mean Andy, clearly some of the shots, generally the ones where the distance to parts of the image varies greatly (eg my earlier shots of the kitchen) can look distorted, but most landscape shots, where nothing is very close, tend to look OK (to me anyway).  Can you point to a specific image which is representative of what you are thinking of?